View Single Post
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
BTW, I detest the acronym WCWS or CWS. It is an outright falacy and intelligent people should not accept it. Just part of the American arrogance that constantly leads our country into more trouble than we can handle.
Chill, Mike. Somehow I seriously doubt calling the NCAA diamond sports championship tournament the whatever "world series" led to 9-11 or Iraq.
Don't be so sure it is not part of the attitude around the world. You might be surprised how others feel about ugly Americans.
Quote:

No one seriously considers either of these to be world championships. The name is merely derived from MLB, which most people view for what it is - the championship series for MLB.

Why do you rant about their use of the word "world" but not about their use of the word "series" - it ain't a series, either! It's a tournament!
Actually, it does fall within the definition of "series" as presented in Merriam-Webster.

Rant on!

It's quite a bit different now. When the "world series" started with MLB, it is because this was the only country playing that variety of stick, ball and base game. However, when other countries adopted the sport, instead of being accepted by this country, they were mocked as supporting a second-rate game that could never measure up to the game played by Americans. Guess what? If you think the rest of the world is not enjoying the US's omission from this year's Olympics, I believe you are mistaken.

Of course, softball is the largest beneficiary of baseball's absence as they have picked-up their prime-time TV slots.

The closest thing this country has to a true "world series" is that of Little League baseball and even that is marred by American arrogance through the manipulation of the format to assure a team from this country in the final. And, BTW, just how many countries are represented in the officiating ranks for the LLWS?

Rant off!

Thanks,