The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Before the rains came yesterday I was watching a JV game where R1 was on 2nd, R2 was on 1st and B3 hit a soft liner to F4 who threw to 1st trying to double off R2. Throw goes into dead ball area. Blue awarded R1 to 3rd and R2 to 2nd. When the rule book talks about the base the runner is going to does that mean literally in that direction or does it mean the base that is next in succession? What if R1 had disregarded the catch by F4 and was still running towards third when the overthrow occured- would she been awarded home on the 1+1 award? Of course she would have to tag up before her award. Same goes for R2- would she have been awarded third? Or did this blue not award the correct bases in the first place?
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
In FED,

Rule 4 Art. 3. A runner in entitled to advance without liability to be put out when ......
g. The ball is in play and is overthrown (beyond the boundary lines) or is blocked.

PENALTY: ALL RUNNERS WILL BE AWARDED TWO BASES, AND THE AWARD WILL BE GOVERNED BY THE POSITIONS OF THE RUNNERS WHEN THE BALL LEFT THE FIELDER'S HAND.

Sounds like the blue didn't apply the rules appropriately.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Rick,
I stood there and wondered almost out loud why he did that, but wondered even more why the defensive coach didn't say anything. Turned out to be a moot point because game got washed away!
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by chasbo
Rick,
I stood there and wondered almost out loud why he did that, but wondered even more why the defensive coach didn't say anything. Turned out to be a moot point because game got washed away!
Well, I wouldn't expect the defensive coach to say anything. He's probably still laughing about it. R1 shoulda been sent home. Now, the offensive coach should be screaming about this. From your original post, there's no 1 + 1. It's just flat out 2 bases.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by chasbo

Now, the offensive coach should be screaming about this. From your original post, there's no 1 + 1. It's just flat out 2 bases.

I'm pretty sure that the defensive coach will scream about it.. in the next game when the next set of officials call it correctly and make the correct base awards.
Old Sat May 15, 2004, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Rick and omq
OOOPS, I did mean the offensive coach! She was coaching third and didn't say a peep. What seemed even stranger than the award was when the blue made it, he looked over at the defensive coach and was explaining himself about the award.
Old Sat May 15, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

It should be noted that even though we are awarding home and 3rd to R1 and R2 they still have to go through the motions of tagging up despite there being a dead ball.