The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Have I waited long enough?

(Actually, I had a HS game yesterday afternoon and a busy evening, so I'm coming back in late...)

Anyway, getting back to the original scenario, I see the call has been resolved.

An "uncaught foul tip" (to coin a term) is just an ordinary foul ball. Dead ball. Bunt attempt.

Batter out. Runners return.

The pitch in the dirt was a red herring. Once the batter hit the pitch with the bat, it became a batted ball.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

So the obvious call was correct - I thought I was missing something.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Quote:
Originally posted by kono
The obvious answer is: Third strike bunted foul - batter out, return the runners.

Sam... what are you up to???
Okay, as most of the old guys on the board can testify to, I like to post "situations" on the board which I call Umpire's Nightmwres because they appear to be complicated but which are usually fairly simple if you app;u the basic rules and ignore all of the red herrings.

In this case, as others have stated, since the batter tipped the ball which was not caught, all you have is a foul ball and since the batter was attempting to bunt with 2 strikes the batter is out and the runners return. Now if she just had not tipped the ball, you would have two runs and a runner on 2nd.

And now to hijack my own thread, suppose the catcher had caught the tipped ball and instead of throwing the ball into right field, she had plunked the batter on the helmet causing the ball to go over the fence?

SamC
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
And now to hijack my own thread, suppose the catcher had caught the tipped ball and instead of throwing the ball into right field, she had plunked the batter on the helmet causing the ball to go over the fence?
That'd depend on the B/R's actions. Did she do anything to intentionally interfere?? Catcher should have been aware of the situation and not thrown.

Either INT - R1 (at 3rd base) out, or Dead Ball - 2 base award.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

But what if the catcher had caught the third strike bunt attempt on the pitch that bounced? What should the umpire call?

um a pitch that bounced is not a caught third strike.

just a thought
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whatgameyouwatchinblue
But what if the catcher had caught the third strike bunt attempt on the pitch that bounced? What should the umpire call?

just a thought
To quote myself...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
The pitch in the dirt was a red herring. Once the batter hit the pitch with the bat, it became a batted ball.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whatgameyouwatchinblue

just a thought
Once it hits the bat - the bounce doesn't matter anymore. If the ball goes from the bat directly to the mitt and the ball is subsequently caught - it's a foul tip - live ball. Any way you count it, the batter is out.

Old Thu May 13, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

sorry didnt read into it far enough, forgot about the ball being tipped, i thought you ment batter made an offer at the ball, my bad
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I dont think the second scenario of this question was answered yet pertaining to a foul tip.If the ball was a foul tip going directly into the catchers glove and caught,we have the batter out,but the ball remains alive.If F2 doesnt know the situation and fires the ball over the head of F3,the runners can advance.
Jeff