The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a 9-10 yr old Dixie Youth Softball game protested.
I was never notified during the game about the protest.
I found out through rumor and asked the ump after the game.
My main question is if the game is replayed does the roster have to be the same as it was for the original game or can the other coach add any missing players from that game onto the roster for the replayed game. I am in a time crunch and will be standing by for anyone who can help me. Also, I need to know where I can locate the roster rule.
Any help in this situation would greatly greatly greatly be appreciated.
thanks coachC
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

I would think he could have any subustitues that he wanted, even if they were not at the previous game. Reserves do not have to be listed on the lineup card, so there is no way of knowing which were at the game and which were not.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Most of the rec. councils I umpire for, would only allow the girls present on game day to participate in the "make up" or resumed game. As a side comment. The only protest I know of that does not need to be made during the game with your knowledge is player eligibility. So assuming this is so, and one girl was too old to be playing, then that team lost. It is not a game that gets replayed.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
As a side comment. The only protest I know of that does not need to be made during the game with your knowledge is player eligibility.
Speaking ASA (only because I don't know about Dixie), I agree with this... if you were not notified that the game was being played under protest, it sounds like the protest was improperly done and therefore should be thrown out.

There are specific requirements for a legal protest. Apparently, not all of them were followed.

ASA Rule 9-4
Quote:
The manager, acting manager or captain of the protesting team shall immediately notify the plate umpire that the game is being played under protest. The plate umpire shall in turn notify the opposing manager and official scorekeeper. To aid in the correct determination of the issue, all interested parties shall take notice of the information, details and conditions surrounding the decision to protest.
You were not properly notified or involved in the decision. The protest should be nullified.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachCanavan
I had a 9-10 yr old Dixie Youth Softball game protested.
One other thing,...

Who in their right mind would protest a 9-10 yr old rec game?

Somebody as real issues about why the game was being played.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Here is Dixie's entire rule on protests:

http://www.dixie.org/Uploads/Dixie/N...ages/rule4.asp

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 09:24am
Ref Ump Welsch

Why was the game protested? Were you even notified of that?!?
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Under Dixie rules, it states that the Umpire shall notify the opposing manager and scorekeeper that the game is being played under protest. But, in their eternal wisdom, Dixie added the phrase at the end of the rule "The failure of the Umpire to make the announcement of protest shall not affect the validity of the protest".

Dixie rules at their finest!
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

"The failure of the Umpire to make the announcement of protest shall not affect the validity of the protest".

But doesn't this addendum makes sense? If an umpire wanted to avoid having a protest heard, or assure it's outcome, and intentionally failed to notify opposing team or scorekeeper, would that be proper? Yes I know some umpires that may be inclined to do that. Would this failure also be a "protestable situation"?
I think Dixie was right on this one.

Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

General rules.

I believe that if you are resuming a game then you are stuck with the original batting order. Of course a coach can bring in any valid substitute including those that weren't present at the original game.

If you are replaying a game from the beginning, you get a new batting order.

I can't imagine anything different just because it is little girls and Dixie league. I'm with Dakota... Find out who the parent/coach is that is protesting and either shoot or ban him. Protest???? Unbelievable!
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I am never surprised by the actions of Dixie coaches in our area. We were playing a Sweetees (4-6 y.o.) teeball game and our opponent tried to bat their best players out of order late in the game because their bottom four batters were scheduled to bat. I still can't believe we even keep score in these games and use two umpires!
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to hukonrt Send a message via Yahoo to hukonrt
Should have let one bat...appeal for an easy out. By the way, tee ball has been designated an aerobic sport....for the mothers.