The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

At a varsity hs game that I did on Friday, my partner told me he was approached by the head coach of the home team who told him that one of the officials in our association had been prohibited from coming back to this school because of a game he done on the day before-no reason given. In the seventh inning, I noticed the two base coaches (head coach and assistant coach) were wearing their baseball caps upside down with the brim in front. I felt a little uncomfortable with it but didn't think I had any authority over these two adults. Today, I went to see my assignor to ask him if it was true that one of our officials had been banned from going to that school. He said that the game on the day before went into extra innings and the home team put their baseball caps upside down with the brim in front as rally caps. The PU told them to wear their hats as they were intended. (I don't have any other details). The AD called our assignor the next day and barred that official from working any more games at that school.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Well, that's their prerogative. Seems kinda silly to do it for something like that. The rules say it must be worn properly. Upsided down is not proper. Rules are rules.

Sounds like your fellow blue was right. Sounds like your coaches were petty.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 07:44am
In Memoriam

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
... I went to see my assignor to ask him if it was true that one of our officials had been banned from going to that school. He said that the game on the day before went into extra innings and the home team put their baseball caps upside down with the brim in front as rally caps.
If that was the reason for dismissal, decorum died that day, ...slain by an AD, two coaches, an assignor and all the other umps that allowed that practice.
My hope is that the association refuses to provide umpires for that school.
mick
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
At a varsity hs game that I did on Friday, my partner told me he was approached by the head coach of the home team who told him that one of the officials in our association had been prohibited from coming back to this school because of a game he done on the day before-no reason given. In the seventh inning, I noticed the two base coaches (head coach and assistant coach) were wearing their baseball caps upside down with the brim in front. I felt a little uncomfortable with it but didn't think I had any authority over these two adults. Today, I went to see my assignor to ask him if it was true that one of our officials had been banned from going to that school. He said that the game on the day before went into extra innings and the home team put their baseball caps upside down with the brim in front as rally caps. The PU told them to wear their hats as they were intended. (I don't have any other details). The AD called our assignor the next day and barred that official from working any more games at that school.
Well, as picky as Fed gets about coach's dress, I find it hard to believe that this is acceptable.

Do anything you want in the dugout, but step foot on the field and everyone's uniforms should be worn properly.

Instead of banning the umpire, the association should have informed the school they would need another source for officials. Shame on the association

Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

I've queried my chapter's "management" to see what they think, altho it seems pretty clear (gotta wear 'em properly).
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 10:10am
BBallCoach

What is wrong with a coaching staff and players being into the game? Tell me how does them wearing a rally cap affect the outcome or the play of the game?
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
What is wrong with a coaching staff and players being into the game? Tell me how does them wearing a rally cap affect the outcome or the play of the game?
it doesn't affect the game IMO .................. and speaking for me, thats why I asked my "management" how to handle this case so if it DOES come up I will handle it PROPERLY.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Rules

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Why are we sinking? Because we hit an iceberg!?!?!
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 11:37am
BBallCoach

Willie

Willie,

Glad you could answer my question and explain to me how wearing a rally cap impacts a softball game. Last time I checked sports were supposed to be fun right, that is why kids play sports to have fun. Yeah I believe that is right. So please explain to me how kids having fun is hurting the game of softball old wise one. Share your knowledge
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

BBAllCoach,

Obviously wearing the cap upside down has no impact on the result of the game whatsoever. With that said, our jobs as umpires, are to inforce and administer the rules given to us by NFHS. Rule 3-2 Art 10 clearly states that uniforms/equipment shall be worn as intented by the manufacturer. Wearing a cap upside down, IMHO, is not how the manufacturer intended the cap to be worn. Does wearing jeans by a base coach have any impact on the game? I doubt it, but again it is prohibited by rules. Every umpire thinks some rules are just plain silly. One thing that separates the good umpires from the average umpire is the ability to enforce the rules even when they think it is nonsensical. Maybe during pregame we should all get together and vote on which rules we will not enforce for the game. A show of hands would work. Heck, why don't we even poll the spectators while we are at it.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

BBallcoach,
You must be looking at a very tiny picture with your arguments. The folks at the Fed write the rules, not us. While some of us are asked yearly what rule changes should be considered, the rules do not change during the season. One of the points officials are evaluated on deals with ALL rules being enforced - including the ones that most of us think make little sense. As an official, I am not taking a hit on my evaluation because you or some other assistant want to wear a uniform in a way that it was not designed to be worn. As an evaluator, I am going to make note that these officials did allow game personnel to wear a uniform in a way that it was not designed to be worn.

ASA, NCAA, and I'm sure there are others do not get concerned with details like hats worn inside out. Frankly, I think most of us would prefer that. But we didn't get to vote on that with the Fed.

If we look at things your way, Duke's point of taking a vote on what rules are enforced is valid.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke
....A show of hands would work. Heck, why don't we even poll the spectators while we are at it.
Speaking of poll the spectators....

I was reading last week, somewhere on the internet, about baseball play in the late 90's... late 1890's when the umpires (single umpire, professional game) were allowed, and even encouraged, to poll the fans concerning whether a fly ball was a catch or a trapped ball! The umpire was instructed to ask several fans and then tally the votes and make the appropriate decision. Incredible/unbelievable. I guess it shows the true importance of some of our calls.

Oooh that would have been a fun task.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 01:14pm
Administrator

I have just one question before I get involved in this debate. Were the coaches wearing their rally caps on the dugout or were they also wearing them while in the coaching boxes on the playing field?
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,
Good question. I assumed that since these were "base coaches", they were on the field. If they were in the dugout, they can wear the hats however they want.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Rules

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I have just one question before I get involved in this debate. Were the coaches wearing their rally caps on the dugout or were they also wearing them while in the coaching boxes on the playing field?
\

The coaches were wearing the rally caps in the dugout and on the playing field.