The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Taken from a local newspaper concerning the long game I mentioned in another post:

Howe sets records in 21-inning win
HERALD DEMOCRAT

FRISCO -- After five hours and 21 innings, a winner finally emerged between Howe and Caddo Mills.

The Lady Bulldogs pulled out a 4-3 victory in what amounted to three full games in a Class 2A Region II match-up at Frisco Centennial High School late Thursday night. The game started at 6 p.m. and it was almost 11 p.m. when the final out was recorded.

It is unclear if it is the longest game in playoff history.

Howe (15-3) advances to play 16-2A champion Corsicana Mildred in the area round next week.

Caddo Mills scored first with a run in the third inning, but Howe answered in the bottom of the frame with a run of its own. Neither team scored again until the 11th inning, when Caddo Mills again pushed across a run.

But Amber Murray hit a lead-off home run in the bottom of the inning to tie the score and extend the game.

Sarah Watt bunted for a hit and advanced to second on a misplay in the outfield. Lia Clements then bounced back to the pitcher but the throw was wild, allowing Watt to scamper home with the winning run.

Clements pitched all 21 innings and struck out 18, a new record for a 2A playoff game. The previous record was held by Archer City's Kayla Jones, who struck out 14 against Rogers in 2001. The record regardless of classification is 19 by Nicole Neuerburg of 5A Freeport Brazoswood in 2000.

Murray's homer tied a 2A playoff record for the most home runs in one tournament, tying Tiffany Siegel of Shiner in 1996.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

My worst. Baseball game 17yr olds playing, 90 ft size diamond. July 1984. 95 degrees, I was umpiring solo. Tournament game 4 hours ,17 innings. I then had one more game solo 2HRS, and one more with a buddy 2 more Hours, Thank Goodness my Buddy showed up!! He wasn't supposed to even help me, but he heard what I was going through and drove 2 miles, & just jumped in to do the bases.
I will always remember how he saved my life.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I guess they do not use the ITB in that area. We have had coaches here that disagree with us using it but I bet if they were involved in that 21 inning game they might change their mind
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Wow - I'm calling Howe's next playoff game, hope its a 7 inning 1-0 barn burner !!!!!!
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Scott, about 3 weeks ago, Brewer played Crowley, the reigning State Champion. 14 innings and 57 strikeouts later, Brewer won 1-0 on a misthrow at 2nd base. 28 K's by Crowley, 29 by Brewer. Both these pitchers have over 300 K's this year. Didn't get to call it, but I'da paid to watch this one. I was reading in the paper yesterday, there have been 2 other 14 inning games this year, the biggest score was 3-2. The paper said that 7 of the top 10 pitchers in the State were pitching for schools here in the Metroplex this year.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
The paper said that 7 of the top 10 pitchers in the State were pitching for schools here in the Metroplex this year.
You know, from what I have seen this year, I would believe that!

Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 3afan
Wow - I'm calling Howe's next playoff game, hope its a 7 inning 1-0 barn burner !!!!!!
Are you serious? What chapter do you call out of?

Old Sat May 01, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

there will be 3 of us from the Dallas Metroplex TASO chapter ... http://www.dmsua.com

[Edited by 3afan on May 1st, 2004 at 11:11 AM]
Old Sat May 01, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool. I am right next door to you. I am a member of North Metro UA.