The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

JV game last night, catcher tags one over F7's head. Orange plastic netting for fence marking outfield. Optic Yellow ball disappears from sight as it falls to top level of fence. Next view is of the ball bouncing on the other side of the fence.

Did it land at the base of the fence and go right through? Or drop just over the top?

I looked a BU, but his eyes were on the runner so no clue there. Finally decided to take my reading off F7. No hands up, no turn around or getting excited; just a slight shoulder drop, which I took to signify dejection. Home Run!

Of course, D Coach wanted to question if it went under the fence. Just to be safe I checked with partner, but he didn't see it. Stayed with HR call.

This is the second time this year I've made calls based on clues other than the actual play. The first was a very high inside pitch that ricocheted to the backstop that I called a foul. After discussion we decided the sound was more plastic than aluminum so changed call to HBP.

WMB
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely looks like your BU let you down. He/She should had been running out there. This temporary fence situation should had been discussed pregame between the two of you.
Of course if BU was in foul territory by first then maybe I take that back, and you did the best you could
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
JV game last night, ...Just to be safe I checked with partner,
I'm moving to Western Michigan. JV games are single umpire here.

BTW, I hate temporary fences for just this reason. Too many weird places for the ball to go.

I almost think it is better to have no fence at all & have the entire area as live ball than have to deal with the temp fence issues.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Definitely looks like your BU let you down. He/She should had been running out there. This temporary fence situation should had been discussed pregame between the two of you.
Of course if BU was in foul territory by first then maybe I take that back, and you did the best you could
Why do you think the BU let him down? He should be watching the runner for all the bases being touched, and other things. The BU would only go out if there is a question of a trapped ball or the ball being stuck in the fence and then only if the OF raises their hands, which it was stated didn't happen here.

It sounds to me like a very well thought out, educated, I hope I get this right, decision.

WMB, did anyone come up after the game and talk to you about it? Right? Wrong?

Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
JV game last night, ...Just to be safe I checked with partner,
I'm moving to Western Michigan. JV games are single umpire here.

BTW, I hate temporary fences for just this reason. Too many weird places for the ball to go.

I almost think it is better to have no fence at all & have the entire area as live ball than have to deal with the temp fence issues.
Tom - I'm with you. I hate the temporary fences. I got in a big ruckus at an ASA national because of a temporary fence. If the permanent fence is not an option, leave everything open.

WMB - Sounds like you did the best you could using ALL of the information available to you.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Tom - I'm with you. I hate the temporary fences. I got in a big ruckus at an ASA national because of a temporary fence. If the permanent fence is not an option, leave everything open.
Not permitted. All fields for Nationals must be fenced.

Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Tex: "Why do you think the BU let him down? He should be watching the runner for all the bases being touched, and other things."

Absolutely. No runners; he came inside from "A" and was taking the runner around 1B. At some point he has to look up and find the ball so as to know how far to take runner, but by then I think the ball had dropped.

"WMB, did anyone come up after the game and talk to you about it? Right? Wrong?"

During the game I overheard the D Coach say that F7 said the ball went over the fence. That made me feel better, for if I replayed it a dozen times I doubt I could ever see the ball drop.

WMB

Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:

During the game I overheard the D Coach say that F7 said the ball went over the fence. That made me feel better, for if I replayed it a dozen times I doubt I could ever see the ball drop.

WMB

[/B]
Well there ya go. Another well thought out, educated guess on the blue's part. And done in a split second. Good job. I guess ya sold it pretty good, too, right?
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 02:37am
Never Stop Learning

Our local group that over sees the high school league doesn't put in temporary fences until our state tournament and I think it stinks because a girl hits one in the gap that might be a double and it rolls forever and turns into an in the parker. Wish they would take the time to put them in for all play. I realize that it is the same for both teams but a double should be a double.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Apr 22nd, 2004 at 03:39 AM]
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

The problem with temporary fences is all the funny holes and gaps.

GRD was intended to cover a ball that bounces over the fence, not one that rolls through it.

If the HS states or the ASA nationals (or whoever else with their premier tournaments) require fences - good. A fenced field is better for the game. But they should have standards of construction and integrity of the fence.

The snow fence borrowed from Uncle Joe's farm strung across the outfield, held up by 4 posts and no stake-downs so it is leaning at odd angles, has numerous places where the bottom of the fence is above the ground by several inches, and has a big gap in center field because, heavens, we wouldn't want the ground crew to have to go around, is more of a detriment that a help to the game, IMO. Better for the outfielders to have to chase down the long ball that to have to give up because it went under the fence (or through it).
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Besides, many times the temp fence is outfield only, not the dead ball line. A long fly ball into the corner will roll around the fence.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
No one mentioned that those who put up the fences, like those who draw the lines often have no idea of the rules and so don't accomodate the needs of the game.

Back to the original issue, if the umpire did not see the ball drop, even yellow on orange, that is a good sign it was behind the fence. And using all information at our disposal, even an outfielder's shrug is fine. Was that really shoe polish on the ball?