The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

This happened the other day. Girl hits ball to F6. F6 fumbles with the ball a few times. Runner gets to first 2-3 steps before ball. Runner runs through first, turns left, and with head down starts walking immediately to first. F3 has ball when coach says "tag her". Runner looks up to see F3 about to put a tag on her and makes a reactionary move toward second. Tag is applied.

I call time and put runner on first. Coach wants the out because she made the move to second. I say the move was just a reaction to a needless tag and that the runner was walking straight to first before being startled. No real argument although he still pleaded his case between innings. Do you think I was correct or was the move to second, even though a reaction, enough to allow for a tag out? By the way, JV level ball (if that is pertinent).
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, correct call. The runner places herself in jeopardy when, in the umpire's judgment, she makes an attempt to 2nd. "Moving toward 2nd" (as in your case) is not necessarily an "attempt."
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Seems correct. Could really sssstretch it and call OBS on
coach...
Same results, 1B for runner.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 10:43pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
This happened the other day. Girl hits ball to F6. F6 fumbles with the ball a few times. Runner gets to first 2-3 steps before ball. Runner runs through first, turns left, and with head down starts walking immediately to first. F3 has ball when coach says "tag her". Runner looks up to see F3 about to put a tag on her and makes a reactionary move toward second. Tag is applied.

I call time and put runner on first. Coach wants the out because she made the move to second. I say the move was just a reaction to a needless tag and that the runner was walking straight to first before being startled. No real argument although he still pleaded his case between innings. Do you think I was correct or was the move to second, even though a reaction, enough to allow for a tag out? By the way, JV level ball (if that is pertinent).
Little Jimmy,
That's a tough call.
Coach interference or offensive stupidity.
What if the pitcher or second baseman, yelled, "Tag 'er!" ? I bet she'd a been out.

Methinks, putting the B/R on base is age dependent.

mick
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I don't think this is that tough a call at all.

A step toward second is not an attempt to advance to second. An attempt to avoid a tag is not an attempt to advance to second. Safe at first.

IMO, it would require something that looked like the runner thinking she was going to get tagged, and abandoning the attempt to return to first base and deciding to head toward 2nd, for this to be an out.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 09:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I don't think this is that tough a call at all.

A step toward second is not an attempt to advance to second. An attempt to avoid a tag is not an attempt to advance to second. Safe at first.

IMO, it would require something that looked like the runner thinking she was going to get tagged, and abandoning the attempt to return to first base and deciding to head toward 2nd, for this to be an out.
"Runner looks up to see F3 about to put a tag on her and makes a reactionary move toward second." - Little Jimmy

Oh!, I didn't realize it was merely a step.
I didn't see it.
mick
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Good point - maybe I read that differently than you.

LJ - can you describe the "reactionary move"?
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I think it was a good call. I'm sure I would have left her on first also
NIF
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Reactionary move in this case was girl thinking there was no play on her, walking with head down back toward first, and looking up to see F3 one foot away reaching to tag her. Her first and only move was a shuffle step toward second done in surprise as much as anything. The whole incident took about a second. It was then that the defensive coach starts celebrating the supposed out. That's when I killed the play and put her on first.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 06:39pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Reactionary move in this case was girl thinking there was no play on her, walking with head down back toward first, and looking up to see F3 one foot away reaching to tag her. Her first and only move was a shuffle step toward second done in surprise as much as anything. The whole incident took about a second. It was then that the defensive coach starts celebrating the supposed out. That's when I killed the play and put her on first.
Good call, Little Jimmy.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Good call, Little Jimmy.
Agreed - good call. From your description - even though she stepped toward 2nd - she made no attempt (even for a second) to go to second base.

-Kono
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
absolutely correct call
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Nice to be reminded about some old friends!
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 04:32pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Nice to be reminded about some old friends!
Yeah, really old. As in over 14 years old.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker