Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Go UCONN
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

These last two days were probably the SADDEST days in my entire life!!!!! We will probably never hear the end of this.

[Edited by BigUmpJohn on Apr 7th, 2004 at 11:45 AM]
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

It was nice for a change to see the Dookies take one in the shorts due to "favorable" calls going to the other team.

Besides, I said all along that my annoyance in the extreme with the University of Connecticut (I refuse to call them Yukon) was their stupid pun of a mascot, and that has not changed. I seriously doubt any Huskies ever lived in Connecticut who were not house pets.

Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Talk to me when they get a football team.

Mike
University of Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
The Only Real 2003 Div I NCAA Football Champions

Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
It was nice for a change to see the Dookies take one in the shorts due to "favorable" calls going to the other team.
IMO, there were just a few too many of those favorable calls that went UCONN's way.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Talk to me when they get a football team.

Mike
University of Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
The Only Real 2003 Div I NCAA Football Champions

Actually they do have a football team. And a brand new stadium. If UCONN sports history repeats itself, it won't be long until they are a major player. Now all we ahve to do is keep other conferences from stealing all our good teams

Fighting Blue Hens??? And Tom is complaining about the Huskies??? That's okay I suppose you could be a Golden Gopher
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmpJohn
These last two days were probably the SADDEST days in my entire life!!!!! We will probably never hear the end of this.

[Edited by BigUmpJohn on Apr 7th, 2004 at 11:45 AM]

Well - the women had to win - otherwise Geno would have looked awful dumb with all his "We have Dianna and you don't" statements.

As for the men?? To quote Donny Marshall (Former UCONN star) - they're "partying like it's 1999"
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kono
Fighting Blue Hens??? And Tom is complaining about the Huskies??? That's okay I suppose you could be a Golden Gopher
I have no attachment to U of MN, and I do think their attempt at making a gopher look mean is silly. In their defense, the mascot does have some historical attachment to the state (can't remember what it is, tho). I assume the same is true wrt blue hens and Delaware. Cornhuskers and Nebraska. Sooners and OK. Longhorns and TX. Seminoles and Fla St. Cyclones and Iowa State. Buckeyes and Ohio State. Even "place neutral" mascots are ok - Tigers and LSU; or team colors: Crimson and Harvard.

Again, my ridicule of yew-con's mascot is their stupid, completely geographically out-of-place pun.

And, nobody stole anybody. Football has been an out-of-place paste up job in the Big East ever since they talked Miami into joining. The Big East was formed as a basketball conference. The attempt to make it a football power was always an unstable coalition of unlike schools.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kono

Actually they do have a football team. And a brand new stadium. If UCONN sports history repeats itself, it won't be long until they are a major player. Now all we ahve to do is keep other conferences from stealing all our good teams

I know they have a football team. They couldn't compete in the Yankee Conference or th A-10, so they moved up to the money leagues.

And, yes, they did get a new stadium, away from campus and not exclusive to football. The state got pretty much skunked into paying for it. If memory serves me correctly, when UConn said they needed a new stadium, there was some serious resistence in Hartford.

All of a sudden, here comes this very timely rumor that the New England Patriots were considering relocating and Hartford was a candidate. I don't know how much, if any, of that happened, but the funds for the new stadium became readily available.

Amazing how that works, isn't it.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

A little Husky history - the pun has been around for a while. Back then it was probably considered clever - now it's just a bad pun (but I still like it )

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/1997/970912/091297hs.htm

Here's a site with just about every college mascot listed. There are some really strange ones. I think my favorite is the Arkansas Tech Wonder Boys

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

As for football - The Big East and UCONN have saw the light (football $$ rules the NCAA) a while ago. One might guess that the plan was to lure Notre Dame into the Big East by hiring Skip Holtz to take UCONN to D1. With the success of the basketball teams, a D1 football team and new stadium wasn't too hard to sell. Plans to add it to a riverfront recapture project in Hartford mushroomed with the possibility of the Patriots - it was even gonna have a dome. After that deal fell thru, plans waffled and changed quite a bit. The riverfront project is progressing slowly (I can see part of it from my office windows). In the meantime, Pratt & Whitney donated their airstrip as a location for the new UCONN football stadium.

Skip Holtz is long gone. The stadium is complete. Randy Edsall is doing a great job. Last year, we played BC real close, and only lost to NC State because of an interception in the closing seconds of the game (yeah - I know - excuses, excuses). Who knows - maybe we'll get Notre Dame yet
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

The Golden Gophers are just fine. We have a lot of them up here. The women's hockey team won the national championship. The women's volleyball team and the women's basketball team got to the final four. I'd say they are doing allright. Hey, that gopher in caddyshack was an absolute tyrant. Congrats to UCONN they played great.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not even a big college hoops fan and I'm proud to be from the state with the history making pair of titles. I think it's amazing that SI had both stars on their season preview cover and predicted both titles. I want to know if some fan with the where-with-all, resources and $$$ managed to go to all 4 games in 4 days. Now that would be a good story.

As far as for UConn football, I'd look out as the other posts have indicated. 17 years from now, my 1 year old son will be kicking the Huskies to the NCAA title. (just like his Dad!)

As far as Delaware football being the only real team, c'mon! They don't even have an original uniform scheme - they had to copy Michigan's!
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
I'm not even a big college hoops fan and I'm proud to be from the state with the history making pair of titles. I think it's amazing that SI had both stars on their season preview cover and predicted both titles. I want to know if some fan with the where-with-all, resources and $$$ managed to go to all 4 games in 4 days. Now that would be a good story.

As far as for UConn football, I'd look out as the other posts have indicated. 17 years from now, my 1 year old son will be kicking the Huskies to the NCAA title. (just like his Dad!)

As far as Delaware football being the only real team, c'mon! They don't even have an original uniform scheme - they had to copy Michigan's!
Sean,

At least know what you are talking about. Michigan's uni was taken from Princeton. Oops!

http://www.udel.edu/cheerleading/helmet.html

BTW, I said the only real Div I NCAA football champion. The NCAA does not determine a national champion at the Div I-A level.

Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
BTW, I said the only real Div I NCAA football champion. The NCAA does not determine a national champion at the Div I-A level.
Oh, man, I hoped your subtle reference to this in your first post would just lie quietly, but NOOOOOO, you have to bring it up again!
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Bug Eaters

Nebraska used to be the Bug Eaters, but back in the early 1900's (somewhere in the 1910's, I believe), they decided to change to the Cornhuskers, which, by the way, used to be the mascot for Iowa. Iowa liked the Hawkeyes better, so they switched to it.

Bug Eaters has got to be the most insane name for a school. Can anyone top that?