The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Remembered a play from the 17th game of my fledgling FP career (ASA 10U):

R1 on 2B. 1 out. R1 attempts to steal 3rd. F2 catches pitch and gets up to make a throw to 3rd, but the batter puts one foot out of the batter's box to take a practice swing. F2 had to avoid the swing so she wouldn't get hit, and could not throw to 3rd.
In my judgement, the batter wasn't intentionally interfering with the play, but was doing her normal routine she was taught to do after every pitch and wasn't even paying attention to her teammate attempt to steal.

Which rule applies here?
7-6-P-1 Says "the batter shall not hinder the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the box". No mention of intent, and does one foot out of the box constitute "out of the box"?
7-6-P-2 says "the batter shall not intentionally hinder the catcher while standin WITHIN the box". In my case there was no intent, but batter was half in, half out. ??
7-6-P-3 says, "the batter shall intentionally interfere with a thrown ball, in or out of the box". In my case, no intent, but ball was never thrown.

Sincerely,
Confused in Cali
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
10-U or 18-U, if she hindered the catcher while trying to throw, it's interference. With one foot out of the box, she is considered to be out of the box in this case. The swing caused the interference. Even in the box, she intentionally swung the bat. I think the unintentional part of the rule is considering a follow through of the bat on a swing, or pulling the bat back after a bunt attempt or something along these lines.

Dead Ball!
Interference!!
Batter's Out!!
Runner goes back to 2nd!!

Did you wanna talk to me coach?