The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

As I was looking at the Fed book this evening I was reminded of a discussion quite a while ago about the illegal pitch diagram on page 48 (2004 edition). Each diagram of a legal pitch shows the pivot foot with it's heel on the front of the plate. Legal of course. But what happens when the natural forward rock happens and you have a pivot foot pushing off a good 2-3 inches in front of the plate? I'm thinking illegal because of 6-1-2c ("pushing off with the pivot foot from any place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal"). But why would the Fed diagram show a picture that would inevitably result in an illegal pitch?

I believe we discussed this in the past, but I'm curious what your opinions are now. We're supposed to crack down on illegal pitches this year in my organization.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
If the pivot foot leaves the rubber, after the pitch begins, then what you're describing is legal. Now, if she rocks forward, leaves the rubber and then begins the pitching motion, this is illegal. It's all timing. If she starts the pitching motion and then leaves the base, foot still on the ground and pushes off, this is legal.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 08:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
But what happens when the natural forward rock happens and you have a pivot foot pushing off a good 2-3 inches in front of the plate? I'm thinking illegal because of 6-1-2c ("pushing off with the pivot foot from any place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal"). But why would the Fed diagram show a picture that would inevitably result in an illegal pitch?
Little Jimmy,
Note the words P-ON TOP. FED is showing the maximum limit toward the plate. The ball of the Pivot, the toe of the Pivot (anywhere between the heel and toe) is acceptable.

If they start with the heel on the plate let it go as long as the pivot "mostly keeps contact with the ground".

Don't over think it.
mick
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Jimmy,
For a lgeal Fed pitch with the pitcher's foot off of the plate, look at your case book. I think it's for the very rule you cited. If the pitcher moves her foot forward so that it is off the rubber as she pivots & delivers - that's a legal delivery.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I might have discovered a new excuse for not calling illegal pitches. Last night, an illegal pitch was batted into the air and caught by the right fielder. Batter returns to bat. A batter or two later, the second out is made. Next batter is up and the spectators are screaming there are three outs. The fielders are screaming back that there was an illegal pitch and getting nowhere. Finally, one yells "Dad, we know what happened, tell you later" and half of them quiet down. Meantime, the pitcher is distracted by the fielders screaming at the spectators and can't control the next two pitches. Luckily, the next pitch becomes a ground out and everyone's nerves settled down. Of course, some die hard then yells "do we get 4 outs, too?".
Oh well.