The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Question

Do any of you have a good solution for the U3K that can't be seen because the catcher screened you? Specifically, when the mitt and ball go down together and you can't see the ball through the mitt.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Whats a U3K ?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Whats a U3K ?
Either an Uzi 3000, a look to the unpredictable future year of 3000, or else an uncaught third strike.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cecil, often, if you are working two man mechanics, usually your partner will be able to see the uncaught third strike. If not, you can try to rely on your hearing to aid you in making this call, as you can frequently hear the ball hit the dirt in that close of proximity. Barring this, just call strike three, let the play develop, and pray that you get it right.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Scott. Usually however the catcher will "give it away". If they catch it, they usually don't flinch, or get nervy...If they miss it, they usually jump up & reach for the batter.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing. I guess catchers that realize quickly enough that I haven't seen it are pretty rare.

Thanks for the humor, Scott. For a second there, I thought you said something about a hearing aid and I was going to object strongly.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

On every third strike, I'll lean forward a little and look at the catcher's glove if I've got any question as to whether it was caught. And my timing is slow enough that there is no noticable change in timing doing this. I'm far enough into the slot - with one foot on the catcher's box line and the other behind the point of the plate - and I'm close enough to the catcher that I can easily do this.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
If I'm on the bases, I'll always clench my fist for a caught 3rd strike, down by my knee. If it's a dropped 3rd strike, I put my hand palm down and indicate batter's safe. I always cover this before the game with the partner. They can use it or not, I just always do it. Usually no one even knows it's happening.

If I'm the PU, if it's a called 3rd strike, I immediately call "strike", step to the left for the sell out and keep my eye on the glove. This always gives a better angle on what's happening. If it's a swinging strike, I just call "strike 3!" and hope to see what's happening, if my partner isn't siganlling anything to me.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
If I'm on the bases, I'll always clench my fist for a caught 3rd strike, down by my knee. If it's a dropped 3rd strike, I put my hand palm down and indicate batter's safe. I always cover this before the game with the partner. They can use it or not, I just always do it. Usually no one even knows it's happening.

We utilize the same procedure around here. Base umpire
can really help you out here. Closed fist is a catch,
plam down indicates ball has hit the ground...Works
great..
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I'm far enough into the slot - with one foot on the catcher's box line and the other behind the point of the plate - and I'm close enough to the catcher that I can easily do this.
How big is that box?
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
It's just the regular size catcher's box. Why?
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike,
It's just the regular size catcher's box. Why?
Because that is not only a wide spread (I know you get wide and low), but if your feet are equal distance from center, it seems you would be looking through the batter's box.

Don't get me wrong, no criticism. If it works, it works. I just thought about it and something just didn't seem right.

Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm far enough into the slot - with one foot on the catcher's box line and the other behind the point of the plate - and I'm close enough to the catcher that I can easily do this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you mean the batter's box line? 'Cause if you can hit that outside line of the catcher's box and the point of the plate, that's uh, that's uh..... 50 1/2" between the left foot and the right foot. Even if I could get my legs to go that far apart, I'd never walk right again. And I'd darned sure never follow a runner down the line. It'd take me 5-6 batters later to get my legs to start feeling again, and then, I'm not sure I'd be steady enough to take a step.

Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

It doesn't feel that wide, Rick. One of the benefits of this is that I don't have to drop far to get into position.

Mike, there are times that a batter's stance will make me move a couple of inches - but I see that before I even think about dropping into my position.

Addition -
Last night, while I was in the basement, I dropped into my plate stance and marked where my feet were. When I measured the distance, my feet are over 49 inches apart when I'm in my plate stance.

[Edited by Steve M on Mar 21st, 2004 at 05:56 AM]
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue

quote:

Do you mean the batter's box line? 'Cause if you can hit that outside line of the catcher's box and the point of the plate, that's uh, that's uh..... 50 1/2" between the left foot and the right foot. Even if I could get my legs to go that far apart, I'd never walk right again. And I'd darned sure never follow a runner down the line. It'd take me 5-6 batters later to get my legs to start feeling again, and then, I'm not sure I'd be steady enough to take a step.
------------------------------------------------------

Rick,

Go here, look under albums - umpires...There is a picture
of Steve, then you will know how easy it is for him.

http://www.eteamz.com/sites/GCBUmpire/

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.