The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

hello

i remember when i started in fastpitch about 6 years ago that i started out with a very old pair of shin guards and a raggedy chest protector and no steal toe shoes for protection. everyone laughed at me because they thought i was a baby for wearing all this equipment, hey guys im 6'2 about 238, about 3 games into my first season, i took foul ball on my big toe and to make things worse i lost that toenail and that was very painful. these days i wear excellent shin guards with knee extenders and i have a +pos chest protector with and excellent pair of steel to shoes, im not saying i havent been hit, but i can truly say i dont feel it when it happens, i guess my question would be, if and umpire is hurt during a game and is not properly equip, does our insurance have to pay for injuries? since we all know the dangers of this sport.
im here too say i worked a game last friday and the plate umpire worked with no chest protector and i was shocked, im just curious who else out their chooses not too wear equipment, and if so why not.

thanks

timothy
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

I wear full body protection, chest protector, steel toes with metatarsal plate, shin guards, cup(yes, I work with umps that do not wear one), and mask with attached throat protector. I come just short of insisting on wearing the equipment for the umps on my board. Umps that are not wearing shin proctection are always dancing at the plate when a pitch is in the dirt. Without a chest protector most umps will flinch when the ball is inside coming at them. It just looks terrible.

I didn't always wear steel toes. I started wearing them after I took a foul ball off the toe and lost a toenail because of it. Also have been stepped on a few times by the catcher.

When you are in pain, and you will be sooner or later without the gear (even with the gear), you cannot fully concentrate on the job at hand.

I can still remember my very first game I did as an ASA umpire. Catcher was set up outside, I was in the slot and the pitch was inside. Batter fouled it off and it hit me in the cup. Best $10 I have ever spent. It still stung but I was able to continue the game without any problems. Crowd also got quite a chuckle out of it.

[Edited by Duke on Mar 14th, 2004 at 08:22 PM]
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I have never seen an umpire stupid enough to call from the slot without full equipment. So you know that they are out of position. I get very angry when I see an umpire with only a mask. Angry because he/she is hiding behind the catcher and, as Duke noted, skipping and flinching.

When you see an umpire like that you will quickly notice that the rest of their mechanics are bad and judgment and rules knowledge are also suspect.

The sad fact is that we just wouldn't play all the games if we didn't put every available body out there, regardless of their professional level.

WMB
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'll guarantee that the umpire Tim was talking about was "hiding" behind the catcher for protection. I have seen a lot of wannabes that do this. They chastise others about wearing the equipment, feigning this false machismo, then they get out there and hide behind the catcher and basically guess balls and strikes.

It is totally ridiculous to get out there on the field without all of your equipment at anytime. Just my NSHO.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Ouch, I'm getting a complex here. I don't wear a chest protector, although I do have a K9 protector. I do wear everything else and all of it is some of the best equipment out there.

I actually do line up in the slot and I absolutely do not flinch. I do hurt. But, in my opinion, it just gets too hot down here to wear the chest protector. I'd rather bruise than melt down on the field. I do believe my mechanics are anywhere from pretty darned good to real good. Again, just my opinion. I follow the ASA mechanics all the way and try to get to the State clinics to see how and what they change. I know a couple of other guys who don't wear the chest protector, for the same reason. I'm only aware of one guy who wears nothing at all except the mask and he is considered one of the best, by coaches and umpires. No shin guards, no cup, no steel toed shoes, no chest protector. It's my choice and I don't consider myself any tougher than the next guy. If and when I do get hit in the chest, it's my fault. Can't blame it on anything but myself. It's gonna hurt and I just accept that. I can call with a bruise. I can't call with heat exhaustion. About 8 years ago, in July, I was in Kingsville calling a pretty decent tournament and wore a chest protector. I forgot my water jug and there was nothing in the dugouts. I tried to get my UIC to get my jug out of the truck, about 60 feet from the ball field. He refused. By the end of the game, I was drinking 2 Deja Bleu water jugs each half inning and starting to see spots. By the way, I'll never call a tournament where this guy is the UIC again. That was the last time I ever wore a chest protector.

But I'll say this, I have never questioned or talked about anyone who wears all the gear. It's their choice and I respect that. If I don't and I get hit, I just gotta grit my teeth and act like it doesn't hurt, which we all know better. I don't believe anyone will ever question my mechanics, as far as where I line up behind the plate. I don't cringe, flinch or blink when the ball comes at me and the catcher sets up outside. I never use the catcher as a shield unless she sets up inside.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

I was at my DD tournament last year watching the other games and noticed 1 ump not wearing a mask. It was 10U ,he was standing back a little extra and ducking on every high pitch. Brian
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

I've got good equipment and wear it all, every game. Working in the gym, with the local college team, the only piece I didn't wear was the cup and I felt somewhat exposed.

I do have a friend who is one of the finest umps I know and he does not wear much gear - he wears shin guards and a mask. I don't recall ever seeing him get hit. I've watched him enough to know he does not flinch.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
I don't wear a chest protector, although I do have a K9 protector.
This must be a typo - K9 is the soccer-style shin guards.

Here (MN) we don't have to deal with the multi-months long heat-exhaustion season, although it does get hot & humid in July - early August (remember Korey Stringer?).

I've used a fairly cheap (but also light) chest protector for years. This year, I'm going to try the K2. We'll see how it goes.

Glen (if memory serves) uses the K2, and (again, if memory servers) he calles in the SE Texas area - talk about hot & humid! That's nearly equitorial!
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Rick:

You and I are in the same region and deal with the same weather. However, I always wear all of my gear all of the time, even during tournaments in the heat of the summer. I had a friend/colleague who separated a shoulder a few years ago by not wearing the chest protector, and subsequently couldn't call ball at all for the rest of the year. I would rather be a little hot and still be able to call.

A couple of things come to mind from reading your post. Do you hydrate yourself during the days preceding a tournament weekend? Also, what kind of chest protector do you use? The All-Star mesh, Cooper mesh, and Honig's K2 all seem to work well in this climate. I have the All-Star, and while I do get hot, it breathes enough that I can feel the air moving through the mesh. Other things that help: I always carry a large Igloo jug filled water and ice, I also carry a small ice chest(six pack style)filled with ice and spirits of ammonia water with two towels in it(one for me, one for my partner.) These will really remove the heat between innings and bring that body temperature down some. All of these things can help prevent going down in the heat, or worse, suffering from heat exhaustion/stroke.

Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I learned my second year about a cup when I took a foul tip off the cup area.I saw stars and planets.The only thing that helped me was the tip caught the batter's arm first so everybody focused on her.The next few innings were like a fog for me I wasn't very effective.That same year I took one off the toe and limped that game and for a week later.The moral is I wear the stuff and have only been stung since in the last eight years.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I wear all the gear, all the time. I'm in Phoenix, and while we don't have the humidity, it gets HOT!!! I switched to the Honig's K2 chest protector last year and love it! Lightweight but still provides adequate protection. I'm more concerned about the foul ball straight back at my collarbone than getting hit in the chest. A doctor friend once told me that it does not take much force to snap that bone.

One of my mentors and a well respected umpire in this area only wears a mask and shin guards, no chest protector and no cup! He works the slot and does not flinch. To each his own, I guess.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
You're right, it's a typo. I have the K2, not the K9. That's what I get for not proof reading it.

I do use a 1 gallon thermos. I keep it strapped to the fence, when behind the plate and on the bases. I just happened to forget it the day I almost melted down. I don't use the spirits of ammonia water and towels, but I understand it does a good job cooling you down. Yeah, Glen has the worst weather for gear. Being on the Gulf and the heat, tough combination. Austin is almost as bad, don't know why. It seems like it's always humid and hot there, in Round Rock.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I workin the Phoenix area.... It gets #%(^*&*(&! hot in the summer... I wear eveything except a chest protector (NOT due to heat) and do NOT flinch at inside pitches.. I recently brought a honigs protector for the shoulder area and may wear it..but not full chest.... (and YES..I have been hit)
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
I wear eveything except a chest protector (NOT due to heat) and do NOT flinch at inside pitches.. I recently brought a honigs protector for the shoulder area and may wear it..
Just remember, it only takes one well-placed shot to the collarbone or shoulder joint, and you will not only wish that you had worn the chest protector, but will probably miss the remainder of the season and have some large hospital bills!

Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Through 4 years of high school ball, my daughter only saw 1 or 2 umps that wore much more than a mask. Her last 2 years, the teams pitcher was in the dirt a lot, and had trouble hitting spots - my DD would set up high outside - when the ball comes low inside - PU is gonna take a beating. Saw many dancing bears behind the plate. In her last H.S. game, PU gave her grief after taking a couple off the shins (probably didn't help that we were all snickering behind the fence - DD made a nice scoop - he didn't see it, he was doing a jig or something ;-). She gave it right back and told him that he needed to buy some equipment - I thought she was gonna get tossed.

-Kono