The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Lately I seem to have developed a bad habit of blinking when a batter swings.It hasn't caused me any problems yet but we all know I could miss a foul tip or assume a real swing was made when she held up.Has anyone had this problem and fixed it or know someone who has?By the way for other parts of the country I did four games in a tourn. yesterday and it was 80 deg. here in the central valley of Cal.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Lately I seem to have developed a bad habit of blinking when a batter swings.It hasn't caused me any problems yet but we all know I could miss a foul tip or assume a real swing was made when she held up.Has anyone had this problem and fixed it or know someone who has?By the way for other parts of the country I did four games in a tourn. yesterday and it was 80 deg. here in the central valley of Cal.
refjef40,
That can happen because:
  • A high, inside, perfect speed pitch was headed at your nasal septum area. A little slower, or a little faster, and it won't affect you.
    It's slow enough to trigger the involuntary blink; I feel your pain.
  • A drop of 80 degree sweat got there the same time as the pitch; I wish to feel that pain.
    mick
    Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 08:35pm
    Official Forum Member

It's a condition that is triggered by working games in early March with the temp. above 45 degrees. As soon as the rest of the country reaches 65 or 70 degrees, the involintary blinking will go away.
    NIF
    Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:44pm
    Official Forum Member

Refjef,
    Every so often I'll find myself doing the same thing for no particularly good reason. Whenever I notice it, I exaggerate my eyes very wide open as the pitch is comming in. I'll also make sure that I let my eyes move and track the ball (and not move my head). After a few times of consciously doing this the blinking usually ends for me.
    Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 10:40pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Del-Blue
    It's a condition that is triggered by working games in early March with the temp. above 45 degrees. As soon as the rest of the country reaches 65 or 70 degrees, the involintary blinking will go away.
    Hmmm....then how come it hasn't affected me???

[Edited by Skahtboi on Mar 14th, 2004 at 09:45 PM]

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
    Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 02:35pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Little Jimmy
    I'll also make sure that I let my eyes move and track the ball (and not move my head).
    Just so you know, the desired technique taught now is that you DO track the ball while moving your head.

I have to admit that I at first had trouble making that change over but, this is what ASA clinicians are teaching as are the collegieate camp clinicians.

You might want to look into this mechanics change by attending an ASA clinic or camp.

Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 03:35pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by scottk_61
    Just so you know, the desired technique taught now is that you DO track the ball while moving your head.

I have to admit that I at first had trouble making that change over but, this is what ASA clinicians are teaching as are the collegieate camp clinicians.

You might want to look into this mechanics change by attending an ASA clinic or camp.

Now that you are used it, don't you prefer it?!

I attended a clinic several years back that taught this, though the clinician referred to it as "tracking the ball with your nose."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
    Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 10:22pm
    Official Forum Member

Actually, when I said I didn't move my head that wasn't quite right. I do track the ball with head movement but that last split second I make sure my eyeballs are moving, especially on a foul straight up or back. I feel like it gives a little head start on locating the ball.