The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Blinking? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/12706-blinking.html)

refjef40 Sun Mar 14, 2004 09:37am

Lately I seem to have developed a bad habit of blinking when a batter swings.It hasn't caused me any problems yet but we all know I could miss a foul tip or assume a real swing was made when she held up.Has anyone had this problem and fixed it or know someone who has?By the way for other parts of the country I did four games in a tourn. yesterday and it was 80 deg. here in the central valley of Cal.

mick Sun Mar 14, 2004 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refjef40
Lately I seem to have developed a bad habit of blinking when a batter swings.It hasn't caused me any problems yet but we all know I could miss a foul tip or assume a real swing was made when she held up.Has anyone had this problem and fixed it or know someone who has?By the way for other parts of the country I did four games in a tourn. yesterday and it was 80 deg. here in the central valley of Cal.
refjef40,
That can happen because: <LI>A high, inside, <I>perfect speed</I> pitch was headed at your nasal septum area. A little slower, or a little faster, and it won't affect you.
It's slow enough to trigger the involuntary blink; I feel your pain. <LI>A drop of 80 degree sweat got there the same time as the pitch; I wish to feel that pain.
mick

Del-Blue Sun Mar 14, 2004 08:35pm

It's a condition that is triggered by working games in early March with the temp. above 45 degrees. As soon as the rest of the country reaches 65 or 70 degrees, the involintary blinking will go away.

Little Jimmy Sun Mar 14, 2004 09:44pm

Refjef,
Every so often I'll find myself doing the same thing for no particularly good reason. Whenever I notice it, I exaggerate my eyes very wide open as the pitch is comming in. I'll also make sure that I let my eyes move and track the ball (and not move my head). After a few times of consciously doing this the blinking usually ends for me.

Skahtboi Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Del-Blue
It's a condition that is triggered by working games in early March with the temp. above 45 degrees. As soon as the rest of the country reaches 65 or 70 degrees, the involintary blinking will go away.
Hmmm....then how come it hasn't affected me???

[Edited by Skahtboi on Mar 14th, 2004 at 09:45 PM]

scottk_61 Tue Mar 16, 2004 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Little Jimmy
I'll also make sure that I let my eyes move and track the ball (and not move my head).
Just so you know, the desired technique taught now is that you DO track the ball while moving your head.

I have to admit that I at first had trouble making that change over but, this is what ASA clinicians are teaching as are the collegieate camp clinicians.

You might want to look into this mechanics change by attending an ASA clinic or camp.

Skahtboi Tue Mar 16, 2004 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by scottk_61
Just so you know, the desired technique taught now is that you DO track the ball while moving your head.

I have to admit that I at first had trouble making that change over but, this is what ASA clinicians are teaching as are the collegieate camp clinicians.

You might want to look into this mechanics change by attending an ASA clinic or camp.

Now that you are used it, don't you prefer it?!

I attended a clinic several years back that taught this, though the clinician referred to it as "tracking the ball with your nose."

Little Jimmy Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:22pm

Actually, when I said I didn't move my head that wasn't quite right. I do track the ball with head movement but that last split second I make sure my eyeballs are moving, especially on a foul straight up or back. I feel like it gives a little head start on locating the ball.