The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

What are the 2 or 3 most mis-understood calls or rules to the high school player?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
What are the 2 or 3 most mis-understood calls or rules to the high school player?
1. Obstruction
2. Illegal pitch
3. IFR [most still do not get it.]
4. Interference

Coaches:

1. DP/FLEX
2. Obstruction
3. Interference
4. IFR

JMHO

Good post.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

One step farther

Ok. Thank You for the responce. Now let me explain and then I have a request. I am doing a sit down (Bad rain today) with a local HS team tonight at the request of the coach. He wants the girls to have the chance to interact with an umpire and maybe ask the questions they have always wanted to ask. Oh...Oh... could be fun &/or dangerous. :-). He also wants them to understand the IFR. He too thinks that rates near the top of the list of unknown knowledge. Now the request. I need one of those true stumper, from the field of dreams plays that several rules are put into effect. I want to test and see just how much the players truely know or possible don't know. Where would be a good place to get such a play ? Suggestions ? I'd could go to the ASA Case book but the 2004 version is not yet available ?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Bandit,

I stole (shamelessly) your originial post and posted it
on another board. I thought it was a good question. I,
and I am sure others, will be working on some situations
that you can try on the HS "sit down discussion"

Mike, Tom and Scott should be good for a couple.

Good Luck.

--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Re: One step farther

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
Ok. Thank You for the responce. Now let me explain and then I have a request. I am doing a sit down (Bad rain today) with a local HS team tonight at the request of the coach. He wants the girls to have the chance to interact with an umpire and maybe ask the questions they have always wanted to ask. Oh...Oh... could be fun &/or dangerous. :-). He also wants them to understand the IFR. He too thinks that rates near the top of the list of unknown knowledge. Now the request. I need one of those true stumper, from the field of dreams plays that several rules are put into effect. I want to test and see just how much the players truely know or possible don't know. Where would be a good place to get such a play ? Suggestions ? I'd could go to the ASA Case book but the 2004 version is not yet available ?

So far this year the biggest thing has been OBS. Coaches
nor players understand that when called, that the runner
in question is now protected. They see a runner that was
OBSD going on to another base and being put out. Coaches
first question is usually "Blue, she went beyond her pro-
tection." Situation: BR OBSD running first, umpire
signals, runner goes on to 2B thrown out by a mile. She is
returned to 1B. Coaches have argued that she went beyond
the protected base. Had this twice this year.
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Bandit,

Here's a link to a question wrt the IFR that provoked a lively discussion on eteamz.

IFR discussion

Hope it helps.

SamC
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Dont' forget the "Look Back Rule", it still creates some confusion.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: One step farther

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump

Bandit,

So far this year the biggest thing has been OBS. Coaches
nor players understand that when called, that the runner
in question is now protected. They see a runner that was
OBSD going on to another base and being put out. Coaches
first question is usually "Blue, she went beyond her pro-
tection." Situation: BR OBSD running first, umpire
signals, runner goes on to 2B thrown out by a mile. She is
returned to 1B. Coaches have argued that she went beyond
the protected base. Had this twice this year. [/B]
It's bad enough to not know the rule, but also be capable of reading the umpire's mind!

Forget softball, they need to join the Midway at the circus!

d:-)
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe a little late, but for what it's worth...

Coaches/Players

1. Interference (by batter especially)
2. Obstruction (especially first base)
3. Infield Fly

Coaches don't understand that "normal effort" in relationship to interference is u mpire judgment, not coaches opinion. THey don't get the concept of not blocking the base. They don't think that a ball caught on the grass can still be called an infield fly.

Umpires

1. Look-Back Rule (over-analyzing/looking for easy outs)
2. Obstruction
3. Interference
4. Pitching Rule (over-analyzing it)

Umpires don't try to understand LBR. Most I've know either over-think it or ignore it. Obstruction, again, as discussed earlier. Interference, by definition, is relatively simple. But when applying to weird situations, they either ignore it or over-analyze it. Pitching rule tends to be over-analyzed by a few guys I work with. They look for "little" things that could be called an illegal pitch...but they wait until it's tied, in the bottom of the seventh, two outs, based loaded, full count on the batter, to call it. Again, looking for a way home. Then they brag about calling it...IDIOT'S! Fortunately for me, I work most of my games with a "selected few". But it still amazes me that we spend (here in my HS association) two months discussing rules, every year, and we talk about the same things to the same guys every year. And few people learn anything.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

FUBLUE (nice moniker - are you used to people saying that to you?)

Sounds like your association needs a leader to explain the rule and then say "This is how we are going to call it. Get on board so we don't collectively look like a bunch of idiots. As a group we must be consistent on this call."

We got carried away with the LBR just last week. And you are correct, it always seems to be the same people over and over that will not listen and will not change their perspective. I guess there are alway JV games for them.

LBR - protects the defense (from being baited by a runner)
IFR - protects the offense (runners)

Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Wink

In order to qualify for tournament assignment in our state, an umpire must complete an open book exam (FEDERATION EXAM). The local association I am in meets before applications are due and we review the test together, discuss rules, look at alternatives, etc. The same umpires that want to argue and over-analyze the rules are the same ones that show up without going through the test before-hand. Their tests are blank and they are looking for the answers. Their rule books are not creased, dog-eared, etc. Looks like it just came out of the envelope.

And the worst thing about it is that these guys are the 15 and 20 year veterans who REFUSE TO CHANGE. ALWAYS COMPLAINING. Here's a quote, "10 years ago they told us to stand still when on the bases, then the said we should walk the line, now they're saying 'be in an athletic position'. 10 years ago we were right behind the catcher...5 years ago the put us in the slot, but square, now they say we should angle our feet and look at the outside corner...why can't they make up their minds." My response (at least in my mind), "Hey, you haven't changed in the 10 years I've known you, so why are you complaining?"

By the way, FU refers to my initials...always a crowd pleaser when your partner screams "F-U" when you arrive at a game site.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I feel your frustration about those "old timers" and other lazy people. I feel silly sometimes when I put in work and time to learn (why else would I be on this forum , and the other clowns are just there to collect their pay, I dont look at umpiring as a few bucks I truly love it. Anyway, I usually feel and hope that the situation will correct itself, that those jokes will either work a poor schedule, which many do anyway, or will wise up or be spit out of the job. I know from experience the DP/Flex rule is new this year in Ohio, and the people are busy asking 300 plus questions, many repeats, and dont read the book or case book or anything...they just want to complain and chit chat. Oh well...
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
I know from experience the DP/Flex rule is new this year in Ohio, and the people are busy asking 300 plus questions, many repeats, and dont read the book or case book or anything...they just want to complain and chit chat. Oh well...
DP/FLEX isn't new to Indiana; we were an experimental state last year. The old school guys just don't get it...they think it's stupid basically because they don't understand how to use it right. They don't understand the concept of having "10 starters" instead of "9 starters" and they get really confused with the "going from 10 to 9 and back to 10" concept.

But what can we do. Eventually, as you said, attrition will get the guys who won't change.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
[They don't understand the concept of having "10 starters" instead of "9 starters" and they get really confused with the "going from 10 to 9 and back to 10" concept.
I wouldn't have thought this would even be comprehensible to the old timers - didn't realize they could count past 4 balls.