The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

In our meeting yesterday our clinician stated that if there is no batted ball there is no 3 ft lane violation thrown from foul territory and the batter run can use either orange or wht portion of bag, anyone ever heard of this asa rulebook does not cover anywhere this. Thanks
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Lets say the ball goes foul on the first base side. If the first baseman has gone to the Orange side to get the throw then if the batter-runner somehow gets hit in the back with the ball while over fair territory it is OK because that is where we want the runner to go. That is what he meant.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
This sounds like two rules getting mixed. The running lane rule has nothing to do with the double base.

A running lane violation occurs if the BR is out of the lane and inteferes with the play on the BR at 1st, either intentionally or not.

The double base use has the exception if the throw is coming from the foul side of the 1st base line, then either player can use either side of the base.
This might sound illogical or not following the intent of the double base; but it is just a situation that is not covered by the double base rule, so we end up with the same conditions as when there is only a single base.

Neither rule is concerned with batted or not, they apply anytime a B becomes a BR.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, ASA has adjusted the running lane rule for the double base. Here is the rule...

ASA 8-2E (2003)
...When the defensive player uses the colored portion of the double base, the batter-runner can run in fair territory when the throw is coming from the foul side of first base, and if hit by the thrown ball, it would not be interference...

Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thanks for the update.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I seem to recall a NFHS case in the case book that a batter-runner can be called out for interference when awarded first base on ball four if the catcher throws down to first base in attempt to hold the BR there but the BR interferes with F3's attempt to catch the ball and the BR is outside the 3-foot lane. It is not in the 2003 NFHS casebook.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do Federated, however even though I dislike the call I see it has valid points. I may have to do 200 games before this happens to me, but when It does I'm coming to get you for protection & support.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
I seem to recall a NFHS case in the case book that a batter-runner can be called out for interference when awarded first base on ball four if the catcher throws down to first base in attempt to hold the BR there but the BR interferes with F3's attempt to catch the ball and the BR is outside the 3-foot lane. It is not in the 2003 NFHS casebook.
In the 2004 NFHS there are the following in regards to dropped third and interference. Two below also have to do with the double base.
8.2.6 D There are no runners on base with two outs. B3 has a count of 3-2. On the next pitch B3 swings and misses. The ball bounces off F2's shin guard and lands in front of home plate. As F2 moves out to field the ball, B3 runs into her, knocking her down. RULING: This is interference, batter out.

8.2.12. With the count 0-2, B1 swings and misses the next pitch. The ball ricochets off the catcher's glove and lands in front of the first base dogout. The catcher throws the ball from foul territory to F3 who is standing on the orange portion of the bag. B1 hits the white portion of the bag and is ruled safe. F3 appeals to the first base ump that the runner missed the bag since she touched the white portion instead of the orange. RULING: B1 is safe. Since the ball was thrown from foul territory the runner could use the ****e portion of the bag.

8.2.13 With R1 at third base, B2 hits the ball to F6 who fields the ball and throws to F3 attempting to retire B2. B2 collides with F3 who is about to receive the ball while standing on the white portion of the bag. RULING: B2 is guilty of interference. Dead ball and R1 must return to third.

Any BR who is running outside the 30ft lane (the last 30 feet of the path marked by a three foot wide boundary) is out when they interfere with a fielder who is fielding a ball or taking a throw at first base. They must avoid the fielder and can run outside the 3 foot lane in doing so.

-Rick
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Two Bits, I think what you are referring to requured a runner on 3rd at the time. I saw this on the NFHS web site a few years ago and couldn't understand the validity of the rule. The runner has no way of knowing if a play is being made on her. You would think, just like umpires, the 3rd base would have higher priority than 1st. But, then, I just enforce the rules, I don't make them.