The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Ever have one of this kind of game

Visitors don't score in top half of one. Bottom of one the
home team plates 9 runs...1 hit tons of errors and walks.

Top half of two, visitors don't score. Bottom of two the
home team plates 17 runs...9 runs via BB, remaining 8 by
errors and 1 hit.

Allow visitors to bat in top of 3, they don't score. Game
over.

Visitors, no hits, no runs, and I did not check for errors
and walks.

Home team two hits, no errors and 26 runs.

Game went 61 mins. Thats almost two runs a minute.. I hope
I don't see another like this for four or five years.

[Edited by whiskers_ump on Mar 8th, 2004 at 08:20 PM]
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, I see games like that all the time (in SP). Had one team score 25 in the top of the first and win in 4 innings by 20+ runs (league rule). The same teams played the second game, and the other team turned the tables and won by the same difference, again in 4 innings.

One local SP league (now defunct) used to schedule 3 games a night. A total of 130 runs for the evening was about par, but we sometimes went over 150. Most of these were mercy-killing games, too, over in 5 innings or even 4.

To show how SP has changed over the years, when I played in the top county league in the 1970s, one year we finished 20-9 with an average of 4.5 runs per game. We shut out opponents 6 times. Dudley Day-Nite balls, metal bats that hit the ball not an inch farther than wooden bats.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Unfortunately this was FP, NFHS....I don't do slow-pitch
anymore...To far to travel for two games a nite...
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Had one NFHS varsity FP game last season last 43 min. Visiting team won 18-0. Ninth batter for home team, on 0-2 count fouled a pitch back to the screen. The crowd (about 6 folks) went wild. This was the only pitch touched by a home team bat all game!

Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

You could have it worse...

My brother did a NFHS district game a few years ago between the two lowest seeded teams. No time limit, 10 run rule after 5. Neither team managed to take a 10 run lead at any time during the 3 1/2 hour game. Final score: Visitors 35, Home 32.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I had a game like that too. Two years ago I guess. 10 Runs after 5 or 20 at any point - league rules.

Well Away Teams dominating all the way. 3rd Inning Away up to bat and the score come to 21-1. Guest team wants to leave for they have a long way home. Tell them, that we have to finish the Inning.
They play a little more and we have it 24-1 still Away Team at bat. By now one out, bases Loaded. So what do they do? They start bunting (basically right back to the pitcher), but Home Team can not make the out.
At 27-1 They start making early steals to end the inning.

Hey, Softball in Germany is not always like that!

Raoul
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I had a game like that - problem was it didn't have to be like that. LL district game - bottom of the 4th, 2 outs, visiting team up by 10 runs. I (BU) catch the 3rd out on LBR. Home coach goes nuts - he's never heard of LBR. I explain to him then walk away. The next thing I know, PU (with whom I've never worked before- or since) is announcing that the runner is safe - I should have used 3 seconds and not 2. I was so shocked and dumbfounded that I didn't say anything (but boy did I think a few things though). Runner wound up scoring blowing the mercy rule finish that we would have had. In fact 9 other runs also scored. In the 5th, visitors put up 19 runs then the home team put up 12. In the 6th, the visitors put up 8 and then shut the home team down.

The PU's punishment for this major FUBAR - aside from having to deal with me after the game - he had the pleasure of completing this walk/error fest in 85 degree/90% humidity weather.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 08:50pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Slowpitch here. Worked a tournament that had some weird rules regarding time limits, run rules, etc. To make a short story short, men's championship game of this tournament (the 1st game of 2) had no time limit, but did have a 15 run rule after 5. Team won the game 29 to 4, after crushing their 5 homers in the first couple of innings. Go to do the second game, this time, no time limit or run rule. Same team wins like 27 to 11. First game took 1 1/2 hour, second game takes 2 hours, for total time of almost 4 hours with the pregame, break between, and the games themselves. Not fun, but thank God for the 3-man crew for those games.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I had a high school game last Thursday that was 38-0 after 2 and a half innings. Fortunately, this was one of the schools that are using the 15 after three run ahead rule, so we killed it at that point. 1 hour and 20 minutes long.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have had several big blow outs like that, although my favorite was the 7 inning complete game, final score 1-0, all done in 52 minutes.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

That is why I am glad that we started a new State adoption this year that says at any point in the game if BOTH coaches agree that the game can be ended by mercy rule. We have the standard 10 by 5 rule but this gives the team that is getting slaughtered a chance to end it without as much embarrassment. Only had it evoked once this year though when after 3 innings one team was behind by 20 and they decided enough was enough and it is not hard to convince the team ahead to end it.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

9 Inning Game

I had a 9 inning game last year. The game could have ended at the bottom of the 8th, but no! Teams were tied going into the bottom of the 8th. First batter hits a double off the fence. I'm thinking to myself, with the winning run at second with no outs, the games over. Say it with me... But NO! The next batter up is intentionally walked. Now I have runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs. Yes! Game over! All I need is a base hit and I get to go home. But NO! The batter that was walked is mad! He's complaining that he's being walked so they can pitch to a girl. He's mouthing off about how sorry the other team was and that he would never play on such a team.

So what does the girl do. Gets a base hit. Now bases loaded with no outs. Game over! But NO! The batter that was walked is now at 2nd and he's still running his mouth. He's arguing with the 2nd baseman. 4th batter up hits a line drive to the 2nd baseman, for out number 1. The runners at first and second take off. 2nd baseman steps on 2nd for out number 2 and throw to first for out number 3!

Top of the 9th, visitors score several runs. The home team comes up short in the bottom of the 9th. Visitors win.

Moral of the story: don't run your mouth while at 2nd with the winning run at 3rd. It took him out of the game.

Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 06:48pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Kahuna, was that slowpitch or fastpitch? I had a 1-0 slowpitch game over in 35 minutes once. Yeah, imagine a 1-0 game in slowpitch!!!!
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Kahuna, was that slowpitch or fastpitch? I had a 1-0 slowpitch game over in 35 minutes once. Yeah, imagine a 1-0 game in slowpitch!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Uh, big strike zone?
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:25pm
Ref Ump Welsch

No, it was an USSSA game early in the season. Those kinds of games can be quick and easy.