five games straight - then get outa Dodge. Today we were
running three fields with six umpires. Games begin at 10:00am
through 5:00pm. Did first game on field 1, then had to drive
to field 2, about 1/2 mile, and six straight. Fortunately the
games were 50 mins, finish batter. All six umpires walked out
of the complex at about 6:35pm. All this, and not one incident
to report. Went great. 41 games into the season. District play
starts Monday.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Glen,

Sounds like you had some fun!

I just walked in from the third HS tourney in three weeks. Started at noon on Friday after a Thursday rainout. Called six games and left the park at 9:30. Was back behind the plate at 8am this morning. Another six games - at least they were two on one off - so I did get several breaks. No big incidents to report, thankfully.

Called 48 games so far with District play starting on Monday. It's going to be a very busy season and I'm looking forward to calling just one/two games a night.

I got to call Bryan and some other teams from "somewhere near your neck of the woods" last week in the Allen tournament. The Bryan coach didn't really understand the "unreported sub" situation when the guilty team discovers their error first. Tried to bring the rule book out on my plate partner. She's a nice lady, but only wanted to utilize the one sentence she wanted to apply to the entire rule. She ended up losing the semi-final game in ITB. I don't think I'll make her playoff list!!

Gary

Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I know I'm going to get blasted on this statement, but it is my opinion.

I do not believe that any umpire can work more than four consecutive games (and I think that is a stretch) and give the teams their 100% game 100% of the time.

Short of an emergency, I will not ask an umpire to work more than three consecutive games without a one game break unless it is at their request and I can give them the best partners I can find. I will do everything to avoid a four-game set.

I've heard the excuses.

Quote:
I'd rather just do four and go home.
I'm not going to come out for just four games and not get paid why you have me on a break.
I didn't travel all this way for only three/four games.
No, I want to work the games, I need the money.
Well, the last time I checked, those were not valid reasons to short a team the effort for which they are paying. And, yes, I know many have every intention of giving them 100% effort, but it often just isn't there toward the end.

I've witnessed this. The mind is often willing, but the body just does not respond the same in the sixth hour as it did in the first. As a player, the following used to really tick me off:

Quote:
I'm pacing myself. I've got a long day.
I've worked five games so far, what do you expect.
I can't get all the way out there, my legs are beat.
There are classic signs of an umpire whose body is beginning to give the brain little signals to cheat the system and save what energy there is.

A plate umpire doesn't trail the BR 1/3 of the way to 1B, but barely gets out two or three steps in front of the plate. A plate umpire who starts trailing the BR to 1B, but begins drifting toward 3B to get a lead on a possible play. A base umpire who doesn't even try to get inside on a ball to the OF. A base umpire whose pre-pitch positioning starts to wander toward the lead base instead of a position for a good view of a possible pick-off.

A plate umpire who goes down for a few pitches at a time, leaning on their knees to keep them in place. A base umpire who is using a hands-on-knees set position.

An umpire may stop giving crisp signals, or their overhand just basically disappears. They will not come to a stop to make their calls, and/or turn to return to their position right in the middle of their safe/out/dead ball signal.

Many are not even aware that their body has taken over their system. When asked why they weren't trailing the runner, they look at me like I'm crazy even though I just spent 30 minutes watching them.

I don't believe umpires should be affected by those coaches and players who talk/whine about playing four or five in a row in the loser's bracket. They get to sit down every half inning and have substitutes, something umpires don't have available.

Don't misunderstand this post. I am not trying to tell umpires they cannot or should not do that many consecutive games, just offering my opinion on what I have observed. I will readily admit this is probably more true in the SP game than FP. In a FP game, there are many who consider doing the bases and "off game" for them. I can tell you that I get extremely bored working FP bases. Some think sitting behind the dish is the simpler of the two.

There have been times that there were not enough umpires available to work and a crew did have to do four in a row, but it would always be with their consent. The tournament UICs usually do everything they can to keep themselves off the fields during games as they have other duties. However, an umpire should never be put into jeopardy just so they can stay off the field.

Oh well, JMHO, fire away.

Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm,

Really nothing to be said. We were lucky to get the six
umpires that we did have. Most of the week had been rain
and when Fri., Sat. was to be nice these three day affairs
(three different tournaments we had to cover) became one
day events. The larger tournaments decided to go just 50
minutes, finish batter. That helped bunches. Usually had
20 minutes between games. I understand that the 8 team
tournament went 1hr 20Min finish inning. Glad I was where I
was. You are right, anything over four straight is pushing
the limits. We always try to work 2 on 1 off, but sometimes
that is not possible.

Your just jealous cause you can't start yet....Naturally just
kidding you Mike.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump

Your just jealous cause you can't start yet....Naturally just
kidding you Mike.
No so fast there, Glen.

I'm not jealous at all. Since I dedicate myself to ASA, I don't mind having the extra time to get things in order before we start playing. They may play only half the year around here, but that doesn't mean the paperwork and e-mails stop

Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

You're not going to get blasted by me. I never like to work more than the "two on one off" format. Unfortunately, there were several tournaments going on in the metroplex and it is getting more difficult for people to get out of their "real jobs" to go call softball.

I knew I was in trouble during my last game on Friday night. My indicator kept clearing itself in the middle of an at bat!!! Luckily, I was in the field.

Gary
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I know myself and others would love to be working some softball tournaments now. I wouldn't care if I worked all day. In Illinois first games start the week of the 16th if the fields dry up. 38 degrees and cloudy now with more rain expected mid week and forecast is for low to mid 40s the balance of the week. For the games that don't get rained/snowed out we will be playing in miserable weather through April. Maybe by May the weather will be decent. Though I do remember flipping burgers in a snowstorm for my son's birthday in early May.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Mike,

You're not going to get blasted by me. I never like to work more than the "two on one off" format. Unfortunately, there were several tournaments going on in the metroplex and it is getting more difficult for people to get out of their "real jobs" to go call softball.

I knew I was in trouble during my last game on Friday night. My indicator kept clearing itself in the middle of an at bat!!! Luckily, I was in the field.

Gary
Your indicator must need a new battery

I don't know if you have ever seen one of my long-winded diatribes on other boards about tournaments situations, but what you noted above has always been a huge concern to me.

There are a load of softball whores out there whose sole concern is the number of guaranteed games whether your talking about a friendly or a national championship. And, of course, the tournaments must make room for just about anyone who wants to play whether they belong there or not.

I have no problems with game guarantees at the local level. However, during championship play, there are so many teams and only a limited number of fields, umpires and administrators, but the teams, managers and parents don't seem to understand that this isn't a small farm in Iowa where if you schedule games, fields and umpires will just appear.

For years, the umpire has been taken for granted. However, there are fewer and fewer umpires and they do not all have jobs that they can just take time off to work ball games.

Whether they (all inclusive, ASA, U-trip, NSA, AFA, ISA, ISC, USFA, etc, administrators, players, coaches, managers and parents alike) like it or not, an umpire is not a commodity that is manufactured and set on a shelf waiting for distribution to the nearest tournament.

Umpires have become a "resource" in the game of softball and should be treated as such. I have never been to a tournament where there is only so much ice, refreshments, fields, hours in the day to play games. There is only so much maintenance crews, coordinators, TDs, UICs can do with what is available.

Some softball teams and scouts (let's not forget them) act like top-shelf, self-promoting snobs who walk into a posh hotel receiving everything and demanding that much more and whining about how terrible everything was because THEY don't get every little thing THEY deem necessary. And this act plays in every complex and tournament from the local fundraiser to National Tournaments.

Speaking of which, even National Tournaments have lost their prestege because of the BS some of these coaches shovel. I was always under the impression, as a player and umpire, that playing for a National Championship was something you worked hard for and had proven you deserved to be there. Nowadays, just about any team can grab a berth to some of these tournaments and send their team "just for the experience." Forget that they may not even belong in the same state, let alone complex or field as their competition. I can appreciate them wanting their players to experience something special, but what good is experiencing getting your *** handed to you by teams who ask, "why did we have to waste our playing time against a team like that?" Forget they sucked up a field, scorekeeper and umpiring crews.

Last year at a One-pitch tournament sponsored by our local umpire association, we had a player who just started coaching his daughter's travel team. The tournament is in the fall, and basically a fun, open-roster tournament. One team didn't have enough players and opted to forfeit the remainder of their games. The newbie coach comes up to me and asked when the other team was showing up. When informed that they chose to forfeit the game, he asked about the game guarantee. I told him the forfeit was their game and he wanted to know if his team was getting a refund if they didn't get the guaranteed games.

I just walked out of the room, shaking my head. I guess he expected me to put a gun to the heads of the other team and kidnap them until they played the game.

I tell you folks, this is getting out of control and we will end up looking the worse for it. I'm not suggesting anarchy, but at some point, which I believe is already here, the demand is going to outweigh the resource.

JMHO, okay, okay....Just My Not So Humble Opinion
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with much of what Mike has said. Umpires are a resource, and one that seems to be taken way too lightly these days. I worked a tournament this past fall where I had call 8 games straight, and told the UIC that he really needed to schedule his tournaments better. He hemmed and hawed, but the fact was he didn't start trying to line up umpires until Thursday for a Friday night start. He was more interested in getting the teams in there than he was in equipping the tournament for the type of experience that is guaranteed to bring the teams back.

Personally, if I have worked 4 or 5 games in a day, I feel that I have more than exhuasted my "best game."

Hmmm...I see the term "softball whores" is pretty universal!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to rub it in Tony but its 75 and sunny here in the Bakersfield Ca. area.We are in full H.S mode here.Yesterday though my assignor who is also my basketba ll assignor gave me two H.S. softball games followed by four J.H. basketball games.Man was I hurting today!I agree with some of the posts I just wasn't at my best by the end.I think three softball games are the most in row to do.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Mike, as usual, you make very valid points about scheduling. I have never objected to a 2 on 1 off format. I may whine about it, but it's good natured and I know it's best for the game, overall.

However, I called 6 straight today. The 5th game ended on my BU asking me if the 1st baseman made the tag. I had stopped at the start of the running lane and confirmed she did. I fully believe in the 6th game, I was still running right behind the runner to 1st, and still covering my responsibilities at 3rd. Did I mention my partner did the 1st 3 behind the plate and I did the last 3? Of course, one big advantage, it was only somewhere in the 70's and a slight wind blowing. No heat factor at all. I don't consider myself an iron man (I used to, several years ago). We did this for $10.00 a game today, just to let some of the select teans get in some game practice. No pressure, easy going. But my partner and I both call every game just like it was the championship game in an important tournament. Neither one of us do it for the money. We just flat enjoy the game and love calling it.

I don't know what the cutoff number of games is, I suspect it's dependent on each umpire. I also know that to be fair, you have to be the same for all the umpires. And above all, the integrity of the game comes first.
I just don't believe you can put a set number on the amount of games to be called each day by the blues. I understand it's also dependent on the number of umpires you can find to call that weekend. You just can't cover all situations with just one set guideline for games played.

I'm not "bullheaded" and want to call all the games every day. I enjoy the company on my off games. But I also fully believe I can still call 8 games a day Fast Pitch and still be hauling down the line behind the batter-baserunner in the 8th game. If not, I would tell the UIC before the game ever started to get someone else.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue

I don't know what the cutoff number of games is, I suspect it's dependent on each umpire. I also know that to be fair, you have to be the same for all the umpires. And above all, the integrity of the game comes first.
I just don't believe you can put a set number on the amount of games to be called each day by the blues. I understand it's also dependent on the number of umpires you can find to call that weekend. You just can't cover all situations with just one set guideline for games played.
Apparently, a few people did not notice that is specifically said consecutive games.

I never said some people cannot handle it, obviously, you did. I'm just do not believe it should be something that is permitted if it can be avoided, nor should it be allowed just because an umpire wants to do it.

As before, JMHO,
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking of which, even National Tournaments have lost their prestege because of the BS some of these coaches shovel. I was always under the impression, as a player and umpire, that playing for a National Championship was something you worked hard for and had proven you deserved to be there. Nowadays, just about any team can grab a berth to some of these tournaments and send their team "just for the experience." Forget that they may not even belong in the same state, let alone complex or field as their competition. I can appreciate them wanting their players to experience something special, but what good is experiencing getting your *** handed to you by teams who ask, "why did we have to waste our playing time against a team like that?" Forget they sucked up a field, scorekeeper and umpiring crews.
Here, in this hotbed of nationally competitive 12U teams (yeah, right), one of the sanctioning bodies is sanctioning 12 of what used to be invitational tournaments as 12U NQs. One weekend in May there are 3 going on simultaneously; another weekend in June, there are 4 going on simultaneously. A second sanctioning organization is not far behind. ASA seems to be the only organization that tries to have teams actually earn a berth in national championship play.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
[BI'm not "bullheaded" and want to call all the games every day. I enjoy the company on my off games. But I also fully believe I can still call 8 games a day Fast Pitch and still be hauling down the line behind the batter-baserunner in the 8th game. If not, I would tell the UIC before the game ever started to get someone else. [/B]
I once worked 15 out of 15 games in a Men's A Fastpitch Invitational. (9 saturday, 6 sunday). Two of us worked the entire tournament, because one guy didn't show up. We were both dead on our feet. We originally started to alternate games, but ended up Saturday working 2 games in a row on the plate in 95 degree weather (and in Indiana, there is about 10000% humidity when it's 95 degrees). On Sunday I worked the first 4 on the plate, and my partner called the final two games. It nearly killed me. I lost 20 pounds (and I was eating too, lots of fruit and good stuff...no burgers and candy bars).

I mention this because I was hauling down the line, even in game 13 for the weekend. But I know I wasn't as sharp in game 13 as in game 1. I don't think anyone can be.

Can I still do 9 in a row? If needed, I could muster the strength. But I'll avoid it at all cost.

When I UIC I try not to work umpires more than 2 in a row, no more than 5 in a day if possible. I prefer to schedule 4 to a diamond, and work 2 on, 2 off. But I always take my stuff with me so I can jump in and go if needed.

Each of us is different, but we can all agree we aren't as sharp in the last game as we were in the first game, right?

My opinion, obviously