View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I know I'm going to get blasted on this statement, but it is my opinion.

I do not believe that any umpire can work more than four consecutive games (and I think that is a stretch) and give the teams their 100% game 100% of the time.

Short of an emergency, I will not ask an umpire to work more than three consecutive games without a one game break unless it is at their request and I can give them the best partners I can find. I will do everything to avoid a four-game set.

I've heard the excuses.

Quote:
I'd rather just do four and go home.
I'm not going to come out for just four games and not get paid why you have me on a break.
I didn't travel all this way for only three/four games.
No, I want to work the games, I need the money.
Well, the last time I checked, those were not valid reasons to short a team the effort for which they are paying. And, yes, I know many have every intention of giving them 100% effort, but it often just isn't there toward the end.

I've witnessed this. The mind is often willing, but the body just does not respond the same in the sixth hour as it did in the first. As a player, the following used to really tick me off:

Quote:
I'm pacing myself. I've got a long day.
I've worked five games so far, what do you expect.
I can't get all the way out there, my legs are beat.
There are classic signs of an umpire whose body is beginning to give the brain little signals to cheat the system and save what energy there is.

A plate umpire doesn't trail the BR 1/3 of the way to 1B, but barely gets out two or three steps in front of the plate. A plate umpire who starts trailing the BR to 1B, but begins drifting toward 3B to get a lead on a possible play. A base umpire who doesn't even try to get inside on a ball to the OF. A base umpire whose pre-pitch positioning starts to wander toward the lead base instead of a position for a good view of a possible pick-off.

A plate umpire who goes down for a few pitches at a time, leaning on their knees to keep them in place. A base umpire who is using a hands-on-knees set position.

An umpire may stop giving crisp signals, or their overhand just basically disappears. They will not come to a stop to make their calls, and/or turn to return to their position right in the middle of their safe/out/dead ball signal.

Many are not even aware that their body has taken over their system. When asked why they weren't trailing the runner, they look at me like I'm crazy even though I just spent 30 minutes watching them.

I don't believe umpires should be affected by those coaches and players who talk/whine about playing four or five in a row in the loser's bracket. They get to sit down every half inning and have substitutes, something umpires don't have available.

Don't misunderstand this post. I am not trying to tell umpires they cannot or should not do that many consecutive games, just offering my opinion on what I have observed. I will readily admit this is probably more true in the SP game than FP. In a FP game, there are many who consider doing the bases and "off game" for them. I can tell you that I get extremely bored working FP bases. Some think sitting behind the dish is the simpler of the two.

There have been times that there were not enough umpires available to work and a crew did have to do four in a row, but it would always be with their consent. The tournament UICs usually do everything they can to keep themselves off the fields during games as they have other duties. However, an umpire should never be put into jeopardy just so they can stay off the field.

Oh well, JMHO, fire away.