The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I am surprised that no one is talking about the new obstruction rule, to me it is absolutely ridiculous and we as umps are going to be put into terrible postions. The fielder canot block the base at any time unless she or he has the ball in the glove, steals pickoffs and plays at home are going to be bad situations guys and girls. Please give feedback on your opinions
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

I dont know why you think its so bad..its pretty simple..if you dont have the ball..dont block the base.... what horrible, ghastly, agonizing position are you going to be put in UNLESS YOU OVERANALYZE IT? Its not rocket science...thats why noone is talking about it. the "about to recieve the ball" phrase caused more issues than this ever will.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coreyboy
I am surprised that no one is talking about the new obstruction rule, to me it is absolutely ridiculous and we as umps are going to be put into terrible postions. The fielder canot block the base at any time unless she or he has the ball in the glove, steals pickoffs and plays at home are going to be bad situations guys and girls. Please give feedback on your opinions
Since I don't see any smilies, I must assume you are serious, so I've got to ask, "Are you serious?"

This not only makes the rule simpler to understand for the umpires, coaches and players, it is so clear-cut, it basically forces the teams to play in a manner less likely to cause an injury.

You have got to be a baseball guy!

Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike.

ASA's new obstruction rule, or at least the deleting the
"about to receive portion", makes the umpires decision so
much easier. Coaches will have to teach the players to
properly play their defensive positions. No ball in hand,
clear the area.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the safety improvement, but for me that is not the biggest reason I favor removing the "about to receive" phrase. My reason is consistency among the umpires.

I found it very frustrating to be partnered with umpires who defined for themselves what ASA meant by that - that they ruled it to mean "ball in flight" and even "set up ready for a throw yet to be made."

Yes, allowing defensive players to block the basepath in anticipation of a throw (or even to just block the path) is a safety issue. After all, softball ain't hockey. There is no "goalie" position. But for me it was more of a consistency of calls issue. (A selfish outlook, I know.)

Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota

I found it very frustrating to be partnered with umpires who defined for themselves what ASA meant by that - that they ruled it to mean "ball in flight" and even "set up ready for a throw yet to be made."
These are terms utilized by baseball umpires or other associations which base their softball rules on traditional baseball rules (OBR).

Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota

But for me it was more of a consistency of calls issue. (A selfish outlook, I know.)
Not really selfish. I agree with you on this, and it makes us all more effective and hence, more professional, in our roles as umpires. I, like the rest of you, was relieved to see that "about to receive" clause go by the wayside, and will be glad when all other sanctioning bodies follow suit.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I'm in total agreement here. It eliminates that argument coaches used to use "...but the ball wasn't between the runner and the fielder" or "the ball was between the runner and the fielder" or whatever else they use to argue when they are wrong (or trying to convince an umpire THEY are right).

By the old wording, a lot of opinion came into play. As mentioned before, what is "about to receive"? How can we be consistent without consistent, clear wording?

The new wording just clarifies for umpires the intent of the rule, which was to eliminate a defensive advantage of keeping the runner from reaching the base, then tagging them out. It makes the game better, because we will CONSISTENTLY enforce rules.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Do you think we will see a lot more obstruction calls on pick-off attempts at first base? It seems like many times on a pick-off attempt at first, the fielder gets in the runners way somewhat before the ball gets there. Dave
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
Do you think we will see a lot more obstruction calls on pick-off attempts at first base? It seems like many times on a pick-off attempt at first, the fielder gets in the runners way somewhat before the ball gets there. Dave
I hope so. This is one area that I really tried concentrating on last year only to get a slate of HS games where the catcher would rarely throw down to first on a pickoff play.

I agree that too many F3s and F4s try to block the returning runner from first base. The issue is that it happens so fast, that the umpire really has to be on his toes to catch it.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up coreyboy

BTW, coreyboy, and welcome to the board!

Tell us a little about yourself.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then you should have been calling obstruction. Nothing new there.

Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Didn't we have a discussion similar to this last year?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Didn't we have a discussion similar to this last year?
I can't tell... they've disabled search on this board! (This has been a perennial topic...)
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Mr. Mafia---

You're right we should have been calling it for a long time...but few ever do. Unlike a "normal" obstruction call, we can't really hesitate too long to get the left arm out...we have a simultaneous play...so we (right?) must call dead ball, obstructed runner and award the runner first base. (or second, or third or home).

I had a coach recently, in discussing this rule with me, say that he's still going to teach his fielders to block the base. In his words, until umpires start calling it, why not block the base? And at first he said, "what's the worst you're going to call? Obstruction, and give the runner first. We win both ways...could get an out, but if obstruction is called, we get the runner back on first." (Unlike the old-time rule of awarding the next base--FEDERATION BALL).