The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I really need help, i know it might sound kind of stupid, but i am thinking about going into middle school sports, and I am a girl, so i have to play softball. but i need to get smething straight, does anybody know if they use a regular baseball, or do they have to use those big softballs??? i know its softball but i always thought it was a gender thing.....thanx a lot!!!!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Middle school softball uses the big 12" balls but they are definitely not soft in a strict definition of the word.

SamC
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

elizzygurl69,

S O F T B A L L and find another board. Can't believe you
are serious.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Eaaaaaaaaasy, Glen...eaaaaaaaaasy
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

elizzy 69? That would make you about 35, (if born in 69), kinda doubt you got any middle school eligibility left.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Oh, all you doubters!!! I am amazed you didn't believe the "middle school" girl. Have some faith in her.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 11:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Ummm, guys, I can understand she's probably a real middle school girl. Think about the number at the end of her user name. Teenagers "love" that number, and giggle when it comes up in math class.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Teenagers "love" that number, and giggle when it comes up in math class.

Good point, Welsch. However:

i always thought it was a gender thing

Sound like the words of a middle-schooler?

I am thinking about going into middle-school sports

Is that what a middle-schooler would say? Or would she say, "I'm thinking about going out for softball"?

And nobody at the school—not even one of her girlfriends—can tell her what size ball they use?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

well thanx for your concern glen, if you read my profile, you would have figured out im 13, and by the way, if i never PLAYED softball before, how would i KNOW, its not like people are BORN knowing these things. just because your a ball freak doesn't mean i am.....geez, besides, if you don't like the board, DON'T GO TO IT!!! gosh even i know that, and your probably older then me.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

and JEL, i wasn't BORN in 69, i was born in 90, i just like the number.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Hard to believe the naivete of some of you, even though there are some skeptical signs. A 13 year old can be very articulate and very uninformed about sports at the same time. I wonder more how such a person found a rules discussion forum. Also, some naivete one her part as
- young females need to be a little more careful about identifying information and email addresses, and
- typing a profile doesn't make it gospel.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

i can post info about myself all i want, its not like they can find my house....and trust me, all i give out is that of what i already did.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Even though I have major doubts about the legitimacy of this post I will reply as if it were totally legitimate. As a former coach I would not recommend starting playing this sport in a competitive fashion such as FED ball at this age. Most girls in the 13-14 Year old range have been playing for 5-9 years and have all the basics of the game locked up. Then when you get up in the JV/Varsity teams if you do not know the basics of the game such as what ball is used, how to catch etc., it is just an accident/injury waiting to happen. My suggestion then would be find a local rec league that would more than likely be more suited for a 14U girl just starting out.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
Even though I have major doubts about the legitimacy of this post I will reply as if it were totally legitimate. As a former coach I would not recommend starting playing this sport in a competitive fashion such as FED ball at this age. Most girls in the 13-14 Year old range have been playing for 5-9 years and have all the basics of the game locked up. Then when you get up in the JV/Varsity teams if you do not know the basics of the game such as what ball is used, how to catch etc., it is just an accident/injury waiting to happen. My suggestion then would be find a local rec league that would more than likely be more suited for a 14U girl just starting out.
Or are middle school teams (like most I see) made up of those who don't have the experience and ability for 14&U teams?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Or are middle school teams (like most I see) made up of those who don't have the experience and ability for 14&U teams?
I guess that would depend on location. I know for the most part around here the girls are very intense about their HS teams and Travel ball teams and the rec programs are dwindling both in talent and numbers. All the girls who play Travel ball do so in order to better themselves for their school programs and the ones that play rec are the ones that didnt make those other teams.