The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs up

An important comment above that bears repeating is "Being a good umpire, I hesitate making calls". Timing of calls should allow for the full story, not just the initial impression.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota

The expected call is a HBP, take your base. It is what everyone at the park saw except you.
And everyone in the park sees a strike when the catcher doesn't move her glove on a thigh-high pitch, but I see the ball 6" outside.

Should I still call it a strike because that's what everyone expects?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a believer in the "magic bullet theory". For that matter, I've always wondered about the intelligence of the PA electorate for keeping someone like Arlen Specter in office after the "bullet" theory.

The odds of this happening and an umpire actually being able to see it are remote, but I'm responding to the offered scenario as fact.

I could only see it happening if the batter was crowding the plate toward the back of the box. If an umpire did see such a pitch, I would expect something along the line of:

Dead ball! Pitch passed through the strike zone. No base, strike on the batter.

There would still be a discussion, but the coach will know what the subject is prior to getting to the PU and hopefully have a question in mind other than, "What? Are you out of your mind?"

Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Call what you see. If you see a strike, it's a strike. If you're afraid to take the heat from calling what no one else saw, you're in the wrong profession.

I think the original poster was asking about the rule - and not the interpretation or opinions (or plusses and minuses of making the "right" call). As far as the rule goes, this is a strike.

F. (Fast Pitch Only) When a pitched ball not swung at nor called a strike touches any part of the batter's person or clothing. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting the batter. The batter's hands are not to be considered part of the bat.

"NOR CALLED A STRIKE" - this one is called a strike, so the rest of the rule does not apply.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I hereby offer to trade Jon Corzine for Arlen Specter.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I've seen lefty men throw a nasty curve ball that cuts across the entire inside corner of the plate and is caught in the middle of the batters box. Could well happen that a 12U pitcher could throw screw-ball that does similar thing. I agree with dead ball call...give first base. Delaying your called strike/called ball call will give you the "out" of saying the pitch was a ball.

But is it the right call?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
I agree with dead ball call...give first base.

But is it the right call?
No. The right call in this situation is "Dead Ball! Strike."

By the way FUBLUE, welcome to the board!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Agreement here

Yes sir! Dead ball, because the ball was a strike! Then, once you make your strike call, turn around and meet your friend, the coach of the player who just got hit!

Stick your ground whatever call you make.

Good to be here....LET IT SNOW!
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

No - the ball isn't dead because it's a strike. The ball is dead because it hit the batter. It's a strike because it crossed the plate. (The dead ball may be significant in that a stealing runner would have to return, or if the ball got away, there could be no advancement).
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Wink Clarifications

Thank you for time clarification on what I was thinking! I knew what I was talking about, you knew what I was talking about, but my fingers didn't!