The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Since we are slow and most of us are not calling, I want to post a play that happened to me this last summer and ask for opinions. ASA JO FP. Bear with me as it may take a bit to describe:

4th or 5th inning, R1 on first, no outs, I'm BU in B position. The catcher is very aggressive and has attempted a few pickoffs of runners at first throughout the game, so I am a few steps closer to first than I would normally be. B2 pops up about 7-10 feet behind first base, just inside the foul line. The ball will come down about 8-10 feet directly to my left. F3 is backpedaling toward the fly ball, F9 is charging hard, and F4 is also running toward the ball. I do not move as I do not want to get in F4's way. R1 is staying close to first as she doesn't know if the ball will be caught.

Ball drops in between three fielders in fair ground. F9 grabs ball on first hop and tries to beat BR to first for the force, BR gets there first, I make the "safe" call, still basically in the same position. Here comes the fun part. R1 has taken off for second when she saw the ball hit the ground, F9, after attempting the play at first, throws to F6 covering second in plenty of time, R1 slides into tag, I call the out.

My dilemna was this: After the play at first, the only thing I could do was pivot to second with the throw. I was directly behind R1 as she slid into second with no angle whatsoever and no time to step to one side or the other. Fortunately, R1 was out by so wide a margin, the blind guy in the top row of the bleachers could make the call. Any ideas as to what I could have done different?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I think you should had gone to the infield grass on the pop up. It sounds like you stayed out on the edge of the outfield grass & got stuck in the traffic.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Infield grass?

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
I think you should had gone to the infield grass on the pop up. It sounds like you stayed out on the edge of the outfield grass & got stuck in the traffic.
Infield grass? Sounds like you've called on some of the fields I've been stuck on over the years, Chuck. I agree that moving toward the pitcher's circle and pivoting toward the 1B line would have resulted in better coverage position. The question is whether there was time to clear F4 and do that. HTBT.

Larry
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

I see three issues here:

1. Fair or Foul? Normally the PU's call so he should be on 1B line.

2. Fly ball into outfield - catch? Normally PU's call so he should be moving further down 1B line to make that call.
Given than, you probably should have moved towards 2B to take that runner.

3. However, 1st play on infield is yours, so you needed to be in a position to cover the possible tag at 1B.

Net result - both umpires got 1B surrounded!

This is one where I would have yelled to partner "I've got ball" and moved to the outfield (avoiding F4) to take the catch/no catch and/or fair/foul call. You should have still have had a good angle for the play at 1B. BU should have then released towards pitcher's plate to take the lead runner.

This is assuming that my reaction was fast enough to recognize the probabilities and to call off my partner. That's a pretty big assumption, and, like you, I would have probably been stuck there in the middle of all the action, trying to keep up with it all. Been there, done that!

WMB
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
"I've got ball"
I agree with communication between the partners could have made this simpler.

However, "I've got ball" doesn't work if fair/foul could even remotely come into play. To make such a call, the BU would have had to dead-head toward the line and that would put him in the middle of the play. If he didn't smother the play, it would probably have smothered him.

Considering the BU had F4 and possibly R1 (and trust me, they will go when you least expect it), I think you handled it the best the situation would allow.

Now, if your partner was on the ball, they could have headed directly toward the circle after the ball dropped to get an angle at 2B and let you know, "I've got second".

Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I agree with the HTBT statement. Of course, now that it's all over with, I'll be an arm chair quarterback ( coach, fan ????? ........) Not it's exactly with the ASA mechanics, but I always try to go to the infield (hopefully not the grass ) and go in against the grain of the fielder. In other words, I would almost be running into the infield, past the 2nd baseman and be watching the PU. I have pretty good luck doing this.

Now, watch, this'll happen this weekend to me and I'll be stuck in between all three defensive players.

Rick
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Just make sure you never ask the players where they think you should go, they just might tell you.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

A two umpire crew cannot have the best angle on all the plays. I think what you did was about as good as you're going to get. Of course there are other options, but they will all have pluses and minuses.

In this situation, there are the fair/foul, catch/no-catch variables, but there is also, who will field the ball, will they be running toward the infield or toward the outfield, will the runner aggressively try for second at the risk of being doubled off or will they play it safe staying near first, and once the fielder has the ball will they first attempt a close play at 1B or a close play at 2B. There are probably even more scenarios, including whether it will be a tag play at 2B or whether they touched the bag on the force.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Andy,

In your situation, I would have started backing away from the play further into the outfield. This will give you an angle on both plays I was taught to get angle over distance when it comes to calling plays.

SamC
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Andy,

In your situation, I would have started backing away from the play further into the outfield. This will give you an angle on both plays I was taught to get angle over distance when it comes to calling plays.

SamC
Very good point. It isn't the most natural reaction, but it would work.