View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
First off,I agree umps should be paid . LL in my area does not pay. Here is what the LL rule book says about umpires. "The volunteer umpire is as much a part of LL as the volunteer manager ,coach or concession stand worker. There is no sound reason for paying umpires ,or any other person whose services should be provided on a volunteer basis." Brian
I am a firm believer in volunteerism and have called alot of games over the past 8 years as a local volunteer. I do this by choice, as a contribution to our local youth program. I am not the only experienced umpire that will do this, yet again it is our choice. We do pay umpires for most of our regular league play.
It is interesting to me that LL sees umpires as strictly volunteers, even at the world series level. Amazing that LL can purchase uniforms, caps and matching batting helments for players yet the umpires pay their own way and work without pay in the biggest tournament of the year. I think LL BB/SB needs to realize that this is 2003 (for another month) and consider catching up with the times.
Revenues are reaped by LL when ESPN broadcasts the pool games, bracket and then final games. Where does all this money go?