The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

...or a stupid announcer thing? Or has Ed lost his mind? Last night, Tim McCarver, World Series coverage, discussing the possibility of a runner being hit with a fair batted ball stated that if such were to happen, in this case a runner on third, that the batter would be called out.

I skipped a year calling softball, the memories fail, and the rules do change, but isn't the batter awarded first, and the runner who got hit called out?

Is that correct? Is it different in baseball? Or is Mr. Mac reconfirming my stance on stupid announcers? Or has Ed lost his mind?

Ed
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trinity
...or a stupid announcer thing? Or has Ed lost his mind? Last night, Tim McCarver, World Series coverage, discussing the possibility of a runner being hit with a fair batted ball stated that if such were to happen, in this case a runner on third, that the batter would be called out.

I skipped a year calling softball, the memories fail, and the rules do change, but isn't the batter awarded first, and the runner who got hit called out?

Is that correct? Is it different in baseball? Or is Mr. Mac reconfirming my stance on stupid announcers? Or has Ed lost his mind?

Ed
Holy Ghost!!! and the two other guys, Trinity has come back from the dead.

Where the hell have you been, Ed?

There is no doubt that half the things that come out of McCarver's mouth concerning rules are suspect. The only thing I've ever given him credit for was being able to catch Steve Carlton. Other than that, he is nothing more than a talking head.

Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

How do you work this thing? Let's push THIS button. Umm.

Where have I been? Took a year off. Planned to do that permanently, but I need a second source of income, so I'm picking back up with the flag-football now and will probably put the powder blue back on in the spring. It's looking like we may finally be ousting our seemingly permanent UIC, which could be a good thing.

Holy Ghost and the other two guys...shouldn't that be other two Guys. (cap G)

Not wanting to start a flaming religious war or anything.

Ed

Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome, Ed! We've all wondered what happened to you since McGriff's went to the dogs!

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
There is no doubt that half the things that come out of McCarver's mouth concerning rules are suspect.
And the other half are just plain wrong!

Quote:
Holy Ghost and the other two guys...shouldn't that be other two Guys. (cap G)
Actually, I think that would be the other two Persons of the Guy!
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Talking Actually Ed ...

Quote:

Ed
Hey Ed,

Welcome back.

McCarver is an idiot and you are correct and still in possession of your mind.

SamC
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ed,

You are going to make Elaines [LadyBlue's] day, make
that year. She has posted several times wanting to
know where you were.

Welcome to this board....

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

And for another take on the "Trinity" thing..........

Really good to see you again Ed Ed Ed

Yeah, the only good thing McCarver has done for baseball was to catch Carlton. Don't listen to anything he sez unless you've fully loaded up with those frosty adult beverages - and then it won't matter

Steve M
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 07:41pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Glad yer well, Ed.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ed my friend!! It's good to see you. Do you still have that six foot Pole you take out to the ball field at lunch time? You still never told me if she was blonde or brunette. Is she from Warsaw?

By the way, you are correct that McCarver is just another uninformed announcer who likes to make things up to fill air time. A little side note, there is a slight difference here between baseball and softball. A runner in contact with a base who is hit by a fair batted ball is out in baseball but not out in softball.

The only way I know for a batter to be called out on a ball hitting someone on third would be if it was Otis Nixon laying down a bunt. (For everyone else... see Otis Nixon was this really, really fast guy on the Braves about 15-20 years ago. I don't mean to exaggerate so I won't say he could get an inside the park home run on a bunt, but I wouldn't bet against him getting a triple on one.)
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Hey SC:

It is a 12' pole from Sears. And yes, I do still have it in the trunk of the car. Furthermore, I do remember Otis Nixon, and yes he was fast.

Ed
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Ed - welcome back, good to hear from you, etc, etc.!

Last season just wasn't the same without the AA stories!
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Mac went to the same rules clinic as Bill Walton......unfortunatly it was for Aussie rules football.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Furthermore, I do remember Otis Nixon, and yes he was fast.
I ran into him one night at a Greenville Braves game. It was a fairly slow night and he was sitting in the stands doing scout work. There was no one in the seats near him so I had a seat.

After about 3 or 4 minutes I turned to him, "You know what I saw one time?" He looked at me like you would expect, a look some where between comtempt and sympathy for the ignorant rube that was disturbing him. I said, "I saw a man steal six bases in one game." He grinned real big, I guess because he realize I was a fan. I only have one autographed ball in my house. It is from him.

(When he tied the record with six stolen bases, he stole second and third the first three times he got on base. He got on base a forth time, but the game situation called for less agressive base running so he didn't "try" again.)
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Ed,

You are going to make Elaines [LadyBlue's] day, make
that year. She has posted several times wanting to
know where you were.

Welcome to this board....

glen
Probably a new record for gif's !

Personally, I was beginning to think Trinity was one of the many softball myths some of these people perpetuate.

BTW, even in OBR, the runner is not out if hit on base in foul ground.

I see lots of AA, have called them that for years, but don't know the history referred to here.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Nice to hear from you Ed. I remember reading your posts years ago on McGriffs. We need your stories. I think this is a better place to tell them because BDB ain't gonna make it here.