The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The Pandemic - your area (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/105035-pandemic-your-area.html)

3afan Sat Apr 18, 2020 06:56am

TEXAS is officially done .....

CecilOne Sat Apr 18, 2020 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1038391)
Maryland has closed schools until April 24.
Delaware has closed schools until May 15.

Both travel ball sanctions, USA and USSSA, in this area say they are hoping for summer tournaments.

Maryland schools are now closed through May 15.
Delaware is trying to play spring sports from May 26 to June 20..
It seems unlikely that either sport will have games.

Matt-MI Sat Apr 18, 2020 01:36pm

Michigan schools are closed for the remainder of the school year which usually ends around the second week of the year. Stay at home order was extended to May 1st by the Governor.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Apr 20, 2020 04:31pm

Today, at 12:00pmEDT, Gov. Mike DeWine announced that the rest of the school year for public schools (K through 12) has been canceled. I expect that the OhioHSAA will make announcement by the end of tomorrow that the Spring Sports season will be canceled.

MTD, Sr.

Tru_in_Blu Tue Apr 21, 2020 03:26pm

Add Massachusetts to the "done" list...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...id=hplocalnews

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Apr 21, 2020 03:54pm

OhioHSAA

The OhioHSAA announced this afternoon that it has canceled the Spring Sports Season.

MTD, Sr.

softballump0421 Thu Apr 23, 2020 08:40pm

PIAA cancels SPRING SPORTS

Here in PA.....ALL SPRING SPORTS are CANCELLED!!!!!!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed May 06, 2020 09:48am

Sinclair Community College (a state college in Dayton, Ohio), a NJCAA school and a member of the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference announced yesterday that it was suspending all intercollegiate athletics for the 2020-21 school year.

MTD, Sr.

CecilOne Wed May 06, 2020 09:57am

Delaware and Maryland have cancelled spring sports, so neither will have softball this season.
The primary local adult league is still trying for late June, if State allows.
Both travel ball sanctions, USA and USSSA, in this area say they are hoping for summer tournaments.

I am skeptical about any being allowed and if they are, the safety of all.

chapmaja Sat May 09, 2020 09:29pm

I can't speak to the summer tournaments in Michigan, but as of now my primary summer league is looking at a July 1st start. I haven't heard anything from the summer fastpitch league I work yet, but my guess is they will be cancelled.

Tru_in_Blu Wed May 13, 2020 05:14pm

I've decided not to register with USA Softball this year. At 70 years old, I don't think risking my health to this pandemic is worth any game fee. Our NFHS season was a decision made for me, but I admit that I was nervous about it.

I'll be very surprised if tournaments will be held this summer. As a parent, I'm not sure I'd want my kids playing summer ball this year. I think some travel teams may find it difficult to fill out their rosters as a result. This in turn may affect any tournaments that might remain on the schedule.

I fully expect to see a virus rebound at some point considering how some states are trying to open up their economies. Can't blame them, but very risky.

Stay well, be safe,

Robert Goodman Thu May 14, 2020 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1038647)
I've decided not to register with USA Softball this year. At 70 years old, I don't think risking my health to this pandemic is worth any game fee. Our NFHS season was a decision made for me, but I admit that I was nervous about it.

I'll be very surprised if tournaments will be held this summer. As a parent, I'm not sure I'd want my kids playing summer ball this year. I think some travel teams may find it difficult to fill out their rosters as a result. This in turn may affect any tournaments that might remain on the schedule.

I fully expect to see a virus rebound at some point considering how some states are trying to open up their economies. Can't blame them, but very risky.

Risky compared to what? Did you think the population could wait out the virus? Everyone waiting for everyone else to contract it first?

I can understand a 70 year old wanting to wait it out, which would be a reasonable strategy, but only if the kids spread it around quickly and become immune while you're waiting.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 14, 2020 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1038652)
Risky compared to what? Did you think the population could wait out the virus? Everyone waiting for everyone else to contract it first?

I can understand a 70 year old wanting to wait it out, which would be a reasonable strategy, but only if the kids spread it around quickly and become immune while you're waiting.

The experts are now saying that with this particular virus there is no evidence yet that surviving it once will prevent you from contracting it again and the experts also are saying that is not evidence of herd immunity yet.

Dr. Fauci is not on record saying that it is not a good idea to open schools in the Fall. I feel the same way in that I would like to see sports, Mark, Jr., is losing quite a bit of income but even he agrees that the short term economic gain is not worth the future health of humanity.

MTD, Sr.

Robert Goodman Thu May 14, 2020 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1038653)
The experts are now saying that with this particular virus there is no evidence yet that surviving it once will prevent you from contracting it again and the experts also are saying that is not evidence of herd immunity yet.

But since that's the way it is with the other viruses we know, including coronaviruses generally, why would anyone think this to be an exception to the rule? And if it doesn't work that way, trying to make a vaccine is futile, since the best a vaccine could perform would be just to equal the immunity from a natural infection.

More important, do you or anyone else have any better idea for getting over this, or does the entire population need to be hermits forever anon? Which means the next generation would need to be inbred, since nobody could date outside the household.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 14, 2020 10:47pm

Owens Community College

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1038588)
Sinclair Community College (a state college in Dayton, Ohio), a NJCAA school and a member of the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference announced yesterday that it was suspending all intercollegiate athletics for the 2020-21 school year.

MTD, Sr.

Sinclair Community College (a state college in Toledo, Ohio), a NJCAA school and a member of the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference announced today that it was suspending all intercollegiate athletics for the 2020-21 school year.

MTD, Sr.