The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The Pandemic - your area (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/105035-pandemic-your-area.html)

Tru_in_Blu Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35am

The Pandemic - your area

Obviously, major decisions are being made relative to the spread of the Coronavirus. Has it directly affected your area yet?

In nearby Boston several colleges/universities have moved to online classes. Some schools have told students they need to move out of their dorms, while a few are allowing students to remain in their dorms.

Several high schools in both MA & NH have closed for either a few days or a couple of weeks.

Our HS softball season in NH is scheduled to start the second week in April. I think MA might start a week ahead of NH.

So far, we've not heard anything about the spring sports season. But can it be too long before schools start taking the cue from the major sports leagues and major events?

I wouldn't be surprised if high school sports were suspended or outright cancelled. Our softball season is only about 7 weeks long (followed by playoff games).

What's happening in your area?

3afan Fri Mar 13, 2020 09:22am

High schools in N TX are beginning to postpone games for (mostly) 2 weeks. But I assume thats just the beginning. :confused:

DaveASA/FED Fri Mar 13, 2020 09:33am

Well here in Indiana most high schools are out till after their spring breaks (returning first week in April) so slowly those games are being cancelled and I am sure it will roll into more of the April games.

As of now they are still having basketball finals, but limited attendance. I think they said there will be 75 "approved" individuals from each school allowed so family basically.

As you stated most colleges have cancelled in person classes and are limiting other group meetings to certain sizes.

Crazy times we are living through right now.

DRJ1960 Fri Mar 13, 2020 09:34am

NC & VA have shut all athletics down for at least several weeks....

SE Minnestoa Re Fri Mar 13, 2020 04:40pm

Minnesota just this afternoon cancelled all state tournaments and ordered no spring games or scrimmages be played until April 6 at the earliest.

Stat-Man Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:21pm

The NAIA conference that the majority of NAIA schools in my state belong to canceled all spring sports activities, so the spring season is officially over for all of its spring sports teams.

My alma mater is switching to off-campus instruction (I wonder how science labs will be handled) and final exams. As part of the aforementioned end of spring sports activities and the move to keep as many people off campus, the all-sport athletic banquet scheduled for the end of April has been apparently been canceled as well along with commencement.

As mentioned in another post, our state high school association ceased all activities in conjunction with the directive to close schools for three weeks. We had the winter post-season, tryouts for spring sports, and fall sport off-season activities all going on right now, so it affected pretty much every sport.

Also, all spring high school games prior to April 6 have been canceled. At present, it's anyone's guess as to whether we have a spring season or if the state will adjust the post-season dates to allow schools to play as many of their originally-scheduled spring games as possible without overloading their calendars and ensuring the games can be adequately covered with our limited number of spring sport officials.

chapmaja Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:26pm

Michigan

in Michigan they have "postponed" all winter championships which have not been completed (gymnastics, boys swimming, basketball, and ice hockey).

Additionally, all K-12 schools have been ordered closed by the governor and as a result the MHSAA has ordered that no practices or team events of any kind may be held during this time period. Additionally, the officials were informed that no officials association meetings/clinics are to be held over this time frame.

The closure will extend until at least the end of the day April 5th. Given that most sports have 1 minimum one week practice requirement before competition, I don't see any events being held until at least the second week of April. I have already had one school tell me they will not compete until at least April 20th, because they are on Spring Break from the 6th to the 13th, and they are requiring a week practice period before any contests.

I know personally I have already lost well over $1,000 in income from cancellations of events scheduled the next few weeks.

Texas Aggie Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:05pm

Texas has suspended all HS/Jr. high events (athletic and otherwise) until further notice. They stopped a state championship basketball game at halftime.

That was a bit absurd.

chapmaja Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 1038246)
Texas has suspended all HS/Jr. high events (athletic and otherwise) until further notice. They stopped a state championship basketball game at halftime.

That was a bit absurd.

That was more than a bit absurd. I don't understand the idea of shutting down events already going on like a basketball game during the game.

I understand shutting down the college conference tourneys because many people had not shown up yet for those events (Big Ten was starting 2nd day, the first of which many fans would be at).

The NCAA shut down the DII swimming and diving championships between the prelims and finals on Day 2 of 4. I have heard rumors that they were in the middle of the consolation finals of diving when the divers were pulled off the boards and told the event was cancelled, although that is unconfirmed.

Stat-Man Sat Mar 14, 2020 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1038251)
That was more than a bit absurd. I don't understand the idea of shutting down events already going on like a basketball game during the game.

I was listening to the USCAA tournament webcasts when I could this week. The Division 2 men & women played Monday through Wednesday without a hitch. Division 1 men & women started Thursday and I was listening to what looked to be Thursday's last game when the decision was made to end the tournament immediately even though that game had only made it to end of the first quarter.

As much as I respect the decision to end the tournament week early, I wish it would have been possible to let that particular game finish so to complete the day's schedule before sending everyone home.

agr8zebra Sat Mar 14, 2020 05:32pm

Utah, On hold

Jake26 Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:56am

KS as of 13 March:

The KSHSAA has made no alterations to the spring sports season at this time. Local school leaders are empowered to make the best decisions for their respective student-athletes and school communities for regular season athletic practices and competitions.

Further note: Most of the schools are on Spring Break during the coming week.

Robert Goodman Sun Mar 15, 2020 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1038251)

There's a certain sense to it: that the less time the competitors spend in proximity to each other, the better.

Quote:

The NCAA shut down the DII swimming and diving championships between the prelims and finals on Day 2 of 4. I have heard rumors that they were in the middle of the consolation finals of diving when the divers were pulled off the boards and told the event was cancelled, although that is unconfirmed.
That one's ridiculous. Swimming and diving, the competitors don't even get close to each other, nor are they manipulating an object like a basketball. And even if they picked up something on their hands, swimming is continuously washing them.

I could see clearing out the audience, though. Still, the high humidity inside a pool room is not conducive to airborne virus transmission.

Tru_in_Blu Sun Mar 15, 2020 05:36pm

NH: School districts will have one week to prepare remote learning systems. Then, there will be two weeks of remote learning across the state through April 3, Sununu said.

No mention of school extracurricular activities, but I will assume this means none will be allowed.

Lots of trips being canceled. Eighth graders usually have a trip to Washington, D.C. Another local HS's marching band was going to appear in at least a couple of parades in D.C. & NYC.

Logistics people must be going crazy.

Manny A Tue Mar 17, 2020 08:58am

In my neck near Charleston, SC, we didn't get the word that high school softball games were going to be postponed until just Sunday night (March 15). Then on Monday, the SCHSL met and decided to cancel all sports events until after April 5. I seriously doubt we'll start play on April 6, but that's the current decision.

I had a JV/Varsity doubleheader scheduled for Monday, and I thought for sure we were going to play. If the state governor had not announced on Sunday that all schools would be closed on Monday, I really think SCHSL would have allowed it.

Tru_in_Blu Tue Mar 17, 2020 09:11am

NH has canceled the remainder of the winter schedule. That means some championships are currently unresolved. They may appoint co-champs in the case of only 2 teams remaining. Not sure what happens if there are more than 2 left in a tournament.

Spring sports are suspended through at least April 27. Middle school sports won't start until May 4.

All subject to change, of course.

Jake26 Thu Mar 19, 2020 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake26 (Post 1038261)
KS as of 13 March:

The KSHSAA has made no alterations to the spring sports season at this time. Local school leaders are empowered to make the best decisions for their respective student-athletes and school communities for regular season athletic practices and competitions.

Further note: Most of the schools are on Spring Break during the coming week.

With a notice issued late on 18 March, Kansas has canceled all spring activities. The governor has previously banned all in-person instruction in Kansas schools, so this decision was just a matter of time.

chapmaja Thu Mar 19, 2020 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1038267)
NH: School districts will have one week to prepare remote learning systems. Then, there will be two weeks of remote learning across the state through April 3, Sununu said.

No mention of school extracurricular activities, but I will assume this means none will be allowed.

Lots of trips being canceled. Eighth graders usually have a trip to Washington, D.C. Another local HS's marching band was going to appear in at least a couple of parades in D.C. & NYC.

Logistics people must be going crazy.

I'm wondering how long this is going to last in NH. I am supposed to fly into Boston to attend my graduation from SNHU the second weekend of May. As of now nothing is cancelled, but if I were a betting man, I would bet graduation won't be held that weekend.

chapmaja Mon Mar 23, 2020 02:05pm

Michigan is now under a stay at home order from tonight at 12:01am until April 13th at 11:59 pm.

This means my entire HS softball schedule is now cancelled and may not be rescheduled (I had two dates scheduled).

AtlUmpSteve Tue Mar 24, 2020 08:22pm

"My Area" may be just a bit larger than many of you, and the game losses you mention.

I have canceled 525 NCAA Div 1 games in 3 different conferences, 450 NAIA/JUCO games, and (just so far) 510 rec games this spring since March 12. I still have another 350 or so spring league games that aren't canceled yet (April 13 on).

ilyazhito Tue Mar 24, 2020 09:53pm

The VHSL has cancelled the entire spring season. MPSSAA has delayed the season start until April 6, though it is unlikely the games will actually happen.

tcannizzo Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1038266)
There's a certain sense to it: that the less time the competitors spend in proximity to each other, the better.

That one's ridiculous. Swimming and diving, the competitors don't even get close to each other, nor are they manipulating an object like a basketball. And even if they picked up something on their hands, swimming is continuously washing them.

I could see clearing out the audience, though. Still, the high humidity inside a pool room is not conducive to airborne virus transmission.

My guess is that you have never been at an NFHS swim meet.

While those who are actively swimming at any point in time, may not be in perilously close proximity, the pool deck is a completely different story.

Teams average about 50 athletes each.
A dual meet, 100 +/- athletes
A tri-meet, a quad meet, do the math.
Then there are Invitationals which involves 5 or more teams.

Those who are not currently swimming but are up "next", are lined up behind the starting blocks 4 or 5 deep. 8 to 10 lanes, do the math.

Those who are "not next" are bunched up on bleachers or team areas on the pool deck. Not a lot of available real estate.

Not to mention coaches and officials, you have a lot of humanity in shoulder-to-shoulder proximity. Then add the heat, humidity and bacterial opportunities, it is a very close and uncomfortable environment, even under the best of circumstances.

So, this makes more sense than probably any other sport.

Tru_in_Blu Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:04am

NH has extended on line learning to May 4. NHIAA will need to adjust the revised start date for spring sports.

They plan on providing an update next week.

CecilOne Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:18am

Maryland has closed schools until April 24.
Delaware has closed schools until May 15.

Both travel ball sanctions, USA and USSSA, in this area say they are hoping for summer tournaments.

Tru_in_Blu Sun Mar 29, 2020 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1038301)
I'm wondering how long this is going to last in NH. I am supposed to fly into Boston to attend my graduation from SNHU the second weekend of May. As of now nothing is cancelled, but if I were a betting man, I would bet graduation won't be held that weekend.

Perhaps you're already aware of this:

2020 Spring Commencement
SNHU Arena 555 Elm Street, Manchester, NH

Due to the health and safety concerns related to COVID-19, SNHU Spring 2020 Commencement has been postponed. Eligible May graduates, updated registration information will be sent to your SNHU email as soon as new dates are confirmed.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Mar 30, 2020 05:18pm

For Massachusetts, as of 3-30-20.

By Patriot Ledger

"In a conference call on Monday afternoon, the MIAA Board of Directors voted to push the spring campaign back another week in an attempt to preserve the postseason amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"Under the new plan, which was approved by a 19-0 vote (one board member was absent), the season would kick off on May 4, the date Gov. Charlie Baker last week announced was the first day that state schools would be allowed to re-open. The season would conclude on June 27, with a June 28 rain date for state finals."

Not sure how it works that the first day back to school that schools/teams would be ready for competitive play.

Edit: I did see a report on the news that games would not be played until May 11.

Tru_in_Blu Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05am

For NH as of 3-31-20

NHIAA Spring Updates

Updated 3/31/2020 at 11:04 am

Due to the Governor’s mandate to extend online learning through the beginning of May, the NHIAA Executive Council has modified the start date of spring sports. The revised dates are as follows:

May 4, 2020 - First date to practice

May 13, 2020 - First date to play

Should the pandemic cause the extension of online learning beyond the current May 4th guideline, we will once again modify the start date accordingly.

Umpire@1 Thu Apr 02, 2020 08:33pm

Today, Indiana cancelled all spring sports for the year. No softball, baseball track and field......everything is done for the year, along with school for the year.

Insane Blue Fri Apr 03, 2020 02:49am

California has closed all schools for the remainder of the year. Students in Los Angeles are supposed to be doing on line studies but a big % have never logged on and Tens of Thousands of students in are not logging on daily.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Apr 16, 2020 02:39pm

Looks like the NH Spring sports season is over:

All NH schools will continue remote learning for rest of school year, governor says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al...id=hplocalnews

3afan Sat Apr 18, 2020 06:56am

TEXAS is officially done .....

CecilOne Sat Apr 18, 2020 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1038391)
Maryland has closed schools until April 24.
Delaware has closed schools until May 15.

Both travel ball sanctions, USA and USSSA, in this area say they are hoping for summer tournaments.

Maryland schools are now closed through May 15.
Delaware is trying to play spring sports from May 26 to June 20..
It seems unlikely that either sport will have games.

Matt-MI Sat Apr 18, 2020 01:36pm

Michigan schools are closed for the remainder of the school year which usually ends around the second week of the year. Stay at home order was extended to May 1st by the Governor.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Apr 20, 2020 04:31pm

Today, at 12:00pmEDT, Gov. Mike DeWine announced that the rest of the school year for public schools (K through 12) has been canceled. I expect that the OhioHSAA will make announcement by the end of tomorrow that the Spring Sports season will be canceled.

MTD, Sr.

Tru_in_Blu Tue Apr 21, 2020 03:26pm

Add Massachusetts to the "done" list...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...id=hplocalnews

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Apr 21, 2020 03:54pm

OhioHSAA

The OhioHSAA announced this afternoon that it has canceled the Spring Sports Season.

MTD, Sr.

softballump0421 Thu Apr 23, 2020 08:40pm

PIAA cancels SPRING SPORTS

Here in PA.....ALL SPRING SPORTS are CANCELLED!!!!!!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed May 06, 2020 09:48am

Sinclair Community College (a state college in Dayton, Ohio), a NJCAA school and a member of the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference announced yesterday that it was suspending all intercollegiate athletics for the 2020-21 school year.

MTD, Sr.

CecilOne Wed May 06, 2020 09:57am

Delaware and Maryland have cancelled spring sports, so neither will have softball this season.
The primary local adult league is still trying for late June, if State allows.

I am skeptical about any being allowed and if they are, the safety of all.

chapmaja Sat May 09, 2020 09:29pm

I can't speak to the summer tournaments in Michigan, but as of now my primary summer league is looking at a July 1st start. I haven't heard anything from the summer fastpitch league I work yet, but my guess is they will be cancelled.

Tru_in_Blu Wed May 13, 2020 05:14pm

I've decided not to register with USA Softball this year. At 70 years old, I don't think risking my health to this pandemic is worth any game fee. Our NFHS season was a decision made for me, but I admit that I was nervous about it.

I'll be very surprised if tournaments will be held this summer. As a parent, I'm not sure I'd want my kids playing summer ball this year. I think some travel teams may find it difficult to fill out their rosters as a result. This in turn may affect any tournaments that might remain on the schedule.

I fully expect to see a virus rebound at some point considering how some states are trying to open up their economies. Can't blame them, but very risky.

Stay well, be safe,

Robert Goodman Thu May 14, 2020 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1038647)
I've decided not to register with USA Softball this year. At 70 years old, I don't think risking my health to this pandemic is worth any game fee. Our NFHS season was a decision made for me, but I admit that I was nervous about it.

I'll be very surprised if tournaments will be held this summer. As a parent, I'm not sure I'd want my kids playing summer ball this year. I think some travel teams may find it difficult to fill out their rosters as a result. This in turn may affect any tournaments that might remain on the schedule.

I fully expect to see a virus rebound at some point considering how some states are trying to open up their economies. Can't blame them, but very risky.

Risky compared to what? Did you think the population could wait out the virus? Everyone waiting for everyone else to contract it first?

I can understand a 70 year old wanting to wait it out, which would be a reasonable strategy, but only if the kids spread it around quickly and become immune while you're waiting.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 14, 2020 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1038652)
Risky compared to what? Did you think the population could wait out the virus? Everyone waiting for everyone else to contract it first?

I can understand a 70 year old wanting to wait it out, which would be a reasonable strategy, but only if the kids spread it around quickly and become immune while you're waiting.

The experts are now saying that with this particular virus there is no evidence yet that surviving it once will prevent you from contracting it again and the experts also are saying that is not evidence of herd immunity yet.

Dr. Fauci is not on record saying that it is not a good idea to open schools in the Fall. I feel the same way in that I would like to see sports, Mark, Jr., is losing quite a bit of income but even he agrees that the short term economic gain is not worth the future health of humanity.

MTD, Sr.

Robert Goodman Thu May 14, 2020 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1038653)
The experts are now saying that with this particular virus there is no evidence yet that surviving it once will prevent you from contracting it again and the experts also are saying that is not evidence of herd immunity yet.

But since that's the way it is with the other viruses we know, including coronaviruses generally, why would anyone think this to be an exception to the rule? And if it doesn't work that way, trying to make a vaccine is futile, since the best a vaccine could perform would be just to equal the immunity from a natural infection.

More important, do you or anyone else have any better idea for getting over this, or does the entire population need to be hermits forever anon? Which means the next generation would need to be inbred, since nobody could date outside the household.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 14, 2020 10:47pm

Owens Community College

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1038588)
Sinclair Community College (a state college in Dayton, Ohio), a NJCAA school and a member of the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference announced yesterday that it was suspending all intercollegiate athletics for the 2020-21 school year.

MTD, Sr.

Sinclair Community College (a state college in Toledo, Ohio), a NJCAA school and a member of the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference announced today that it was suspending all intercollegiate athletics for the 2020-21 school year.

MTD, Sr.

chapmaja Fri May 15, 2020 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1038656)
Sinclair Community College (a state college in Toledo, Ohio), a NJCAA school and a member of the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference announced today that it was suspending all intercollegiate athletics for the 2020-21 school year.

MTD, Sr.

I suspect 20-21 is going to be a bad year to be an official. With several D1 programs cutting sports, I'm sure we will hear a lot more of that in the coming weeks. Several D2 and D3 and smaller schools have not only cut sports, but are closing completely.

I don't think the virus is totally to blame, but I think it is drastically increasing financial problems that have already existed.

Stat-Man Sat May 16, 2020 04:23pm

NCAA Division 2 Urbana University of Ohio had been controlled by Franklin university since 2014 and is closing due to ongoing budgetary issues and declining enrollment further exacerbated by COVID-19.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1038659)
I don't think the virus is totally to blame, but I think it is drastically increasing financial problems that have already existed.

Especially for smaller colleges/universities and any other ones that barely kept afloat financially.

CecilOne Thu May 28, 2020 11:05am

Why are so many opening, starting or planning activities based on release from rules and restrictions; rather than concern for risk, safety and health?
Isn't it just about money?

Tru_in_Blu Mon Jun 01, 2020 01:54pm

If you will it, they will come...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/h...d-19-pandemic/

Any umps from Iowa? What's your thoughts?

CecilOne Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:11pm

OK, games and tournaments might be played soon. As of now, we have possibilities NEXT WEEK, June 12 -14.

My question is about precautions and procedures.
How will umpires be protected from COVID 19 contact during tournaments? What do you know so far?

Jake26 Wed Jun 03, 2020 04:08pm

Worked a few games at a USSSA tournament in Kansas this past Saturday, their first weekend to play.

Only the two umpires and the two head coaches were at the pre-game meeting.

Umpires were not to touch the bats and were not to touch the game balls. Each team had two game balls. They took one out to the circle and brought it back to the dugout after the half-inning. In theory, all the touches on a game ball were by members of one team. Not perfect, but pretty close.

Other than that, no changes in mechanics or general practices for the umpires - still called the zone from behind the catcher. No requirement for a COVID-mask.

There seemed to be more fans in their lawn chairs around the outfield fence and fewer in the stands, but other than that, just a tournament like last summer.

Tru_in_Blu Fri Jun 05, 2020 08:05am

Some things being discussed in NH (USA Softball related) include:

No out of state umpires will be used in any tournaments.
NH umpires not permitted to work games outside of NH.
If any travel team plays in a tournament outside of NH, their entire program will be un-sanctioned for NH play. (USA Softball National Tournaments is an exception.)
All tournaments will permit in state teams only; no out of state teams permitted.
Prior to tournament games, all team personnel must have their temperature taken. Umpires will also need this.
Umpires will be required to wear Covid masks on the field.
Plate conference will include 1 coach from each team & the umpires. Line up cards will be handed over from coach to PU and not returned for a check. Verbal confirmation shall suffice.
Each team will have 2 game balls that they will use. At the end of an inning, the ball(s) will be taken to dugout by the defensive team.
Balls that go out of play and retrieved will need to be sanitized prior to being put back into play.
Umpires will not have any balls in their ball bag(s) which should only now be used for line up cards, brush, pen/pencil, flip coin.
Teams on offense must still “social distance” in dugouts, which likely means on many fields that they will have to be outside the fenced in area of the field.
Equipment checks may require umpires to wear gloves or equipment will need to be “re-sanitized”.
Some game rules may be relaxed if players are uncomfortable coming to bat. Outs would not be taken in those instances.
Waivers would need to be signed by everybody.
All trash would have to be removed by the teams. There may be no trash cans for disposal of trash as a result. “You bring it, you take it back.”
Game schedules will likely be more spread out to allow for teams to vacate a field prior to the next teams coming in. In turn, this may affect the timed games’ length.

There may be other things that will be required. And perhaps some things will be relaxed over time.

DTQ_Blue Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:42am

Masks

So PU must wear a mask but not F2. They are about a foot apart and breathing on each other, but only PU must wear a mask? If F2 gets the virus, illness is likely to be mild with virtually zero chance of death. If PU is 60 or older, much, much more at risk. I'm all for protecting the kids, but does anyone care about PU? How hard is it for F2 to put a paper surgical mask on?

Tru_in_Blu Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue (Post 1038881)
So PU must wear a mask but not F2.

Who said that?

CecilOne Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1038903)
Who said that?

Probably referring to the list in your 6/5 post, including:
"Umpires will be required to wear Covid masks on the field."

CecilOne Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33am

The latest in Maryland, retyped by me.
All youth and amateur sports gatherings and events may resume sporting and other customary operations as of 5 PM on June 12th and 5 PM on June 19th for indoor activities. May not be open to the general public. Indoor activities are restricted to 50% of capacity and six feet distancing whenever possible. To the extent possible, individuals engaged in the sport and at the venue shall wear face covering especially when distancing is not feasible.

Latest in Delaware, generally seen as nonsense, starting June 15th, also retyped by me.
PU behind pitcher. Catcher 6 feet from batter or not used. No stealing second, so F3 can social distance. Ball rotated out frequently and disinfected between innings. Equipment should not be shared. Distancing in dugouts and stands. Base coaches distanced from others. No community water cooler, spitting, gum or seeds. Teams should use their own set of game balls. Spectators under gathering rules.

Little Jimmy Sun Jun 14, 2020 02:46pm

Cecil,
I was looking for some Delaware return info. Saw baseball addressed on a site, but not softball. You said “ catcher 6 feet away from batter or not used”. Not used? Really? How’s that supposed to work?

CecilOne Sun Jun 14, 2020 04:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1038908)
Cecil,
I was looking for some Delaware return info. Saw baseball addressed on a site, but not softball. You said “ catcher 6 feet away from batter or not used”. Not used? Really? How’s that supposed to work?

The Delaware guideline is captioned Baseball/Softball.
https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/wp-...eopening-1.pdf

No one I know thinks it is doable.

Robert Goodman Mon Jun 15, 2020 08:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1038908)
Cecil,

Backstop, and then the pitcher has to go get the ball. Pitcher may keep a bagful of balls by hir feet and collect them when the supply is exhausted.

CecilOne Mon Jun 15, 2020 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1038923)
Backstop, and then the pitcher has to go get the ball. Pitcher may keep a bagful of balls by hir feet and collect them when the supply is exhausted.

Is that published or distributed somewhere?
Where are you located?

Tru_in_Blu Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1038923)

This sounds like it was put together by the same committee that designed the camel.

Ground ball to the pitcher who drops the ball... Just pick up closest ball on the ground to throw to first.

In the fast pitch game, know any umps that will call balls/strikes without a catcher? Sometimes it's already a bad situation but at least SOME of the pitches might hit F2 instead of PU.

ChampaignBlue Thu Jun 18, 2020 08:18am

I left the States 16 years ago and currently live in the DR Congo. I still have dreams of being in the States occasionally where I show up at a park and the umpire can't make it so I step in. I guess calling a couple of thousand games ASA, USSA and even a few Big10, does that to you. So I stop by here now and then just to keep up on the rules.

Needless to say not a lot of opportunities to call a game here. :D

On the plus side, there have been no cases of Covid-19 where I am. We've had a lot of experience on how to deal with nasty viruses. The city I live in has had four Ebola outbreaks within a 150 miles over the last 10 years. So back in January we went into Ebola mode of no handshakes, lots of hand washing and staying home when sick. By March when it first reared it's head in the capital city all travel other than cargo and essential medical people in or out of the capital city halted. They meant it too. If a truck carrying cargo showed up at the state border with passengers they'd get an armed military escort back where they came from. In the capital they follow up contacts of all positives and put them under quarantine and the people are very cooperative about it, again, living with Ebola does that too you.

In Canada they say keep your stick on the ice, my blessing to you is that may you never make an OUT/NO SAFE call.

ChampaignBlue Thu Jun 18, 2020 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1038926)
In the fast pitch game, know any umps that will call balls/strikes without a catcher? Sometimes it's already a bad situation but at least SOME of the pitches might hit F2 instead of PU.

I was doing a college game and had a foul tip ripped my throat guard right off and sent it flying. Sounded just like a wooden bat hitting a ball. Judging from the sounds in the stands they were waiting for me to keel over dead.

I'm sure a few were disappointed that I didn't.

So no, definitely not behind the plate and I don't think I'd care to be behind the pitcher either without a glove to protect myself from hit backs.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Jun 22, 2020 04:05pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...d-19-pandemic/

Tru_in_Blu Wed Jul 08, 2020 05:25pm

Another domino falls...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ing-in-spring/

Tru_in_Blu Tue Aug 11, 2020 03:26pm

Hard to believe that MLB can continue to play or NFL will be playing this year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...n-spring-2021/

CecilOne Tue Aug 11, 2020 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1039327)
Hard to believe that MLB can continue to play or NFL will be playing this year.

I would like to see MLB players more cautious about distancing and especially masks, but the physical contact is a lot less than football. I'm surprised soccer is working out.

Locally, both States have cancelled school athletics for the first semester. Softball is being played in abbreviated SP seasons and in FP youth tournaments.

Crabby_Bob Wed Aug 12, 2020 01:53pm

I know a number of dual sport officials. Softball, if it even happens, is going to get massive short shrift.

chapmaja Sat Aug 15, 2020 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob (Post 1039335)
I know a number of dual sport officials. Softball, if it even happens, is going to get massive short shrift.

Michigan just announced HS football is moving to the Spring. They are trying to work something so it doesn't interfere too much with Spring sports because the MHSAA does push for multiple sport athletes. Given the number of multi-sport officials, and our shortage already, I think we are certainly looking at a shortage if we have overlap between Fall and Spring sports. When you consider the number of multi-level officials it could be even worse.

Skahtboi Tue Sep 22, 2020 01:26pm

Texas shut down all sports in the spring, and as of last week autumn sports were allowed to begin, with strict social distancing/mask rules in effect. (Essentially their thought is "if you can't wear a mask for whatever reason, then you don't need to be there.") However, I am already seeing issues with fans not willing to comply, and would not be surprised to see the UIL close down sports again.