The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Two from today

NFHS rules, JV fast pitch game. I was the BU for this game.

1) Runner at second base. Ground ball back to the pitcher who bobbles the ball and then fires to third base trying to get the lead runner. Whose call is this on the play? Would these be the PU's call or the BU's call?

2) During the bottom 5th inning of the game, I notice Team A (batting team) has a pitcher in the batting cage /warm up area playing catch with a team mate. She is doing soft short tosses to her team mate. I say nothing about this. A few minutes later, I look over and she it throwing full pitches to a player in the crouch position who is not wearing a helmet with throat protector. At this point I call time and inform the 1st base coach, as he is the nearest coach to me. He immediately yells across the diamond to the head coach who tells the catcher to get a helmet on.

In the bottom of the 6th inning, I look over and witness the same pitcher, pitching to a different player who is wearing an infielders mask, not a helmet. At this point I am in the C position so I call time and inform the head coach who immediately tells the catcher to get a helmet on.

Under the rules the first time should have been a team warning correct (which I did not issue), and the second time it should have been a restriction to the dugout for the coach and the player. Does this apply to just the catcher, or to the pitcher and the catcher because both were involved in the pitching to a player without proper equipment on?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
NFHS rules, JV fast pitch game. I was the BU for this game.

1) Runner at second base. Ground ball back to the pitcher who bobbles the ball and then fires to third base trying to get the lead runner. Whose call is this on the play? Would these be the PU's call or the BU's call?

2) During the bottom 5th inning of the game, I notice Team A (batting team) has a pitcher in the batting cage /warm up area playing catch with a team mate. She is doing soft short tosses to her team mate. I say nothing about this. A few minutes later, I look over and she it throwing full pitches to a player in the crouch position who is not wearing a helmet with throat protector. At this point I call time and inform the 1st base coach, as he is the nearest coach to me. He immediately yells across the diamond to the head coach who tells the catcher to get a helmet on.

In the bottom of the 6th inning, I look over and witness the same pitcher, pitching to a different player who is wearing an infielders mask, not a helmet. At this point I am in the C position so I call time and inform the head coach who immediately tells the catcher to get a helmet on.

Under the rules the first time should have been a team warning correct (which I did not issue), and the second time it should have been a restriction to the dugout for the coach and the player. Does this apply to just the catcher, or to the pitcher and the catcher because both were involved in the pitching to a player without proper equipment on?
First play in the infield is the BU's call. Had the ball gone through the infield and F7 fielded it and threw to F5 trying to get the runner going to third, that would be the PU's call. BU now has responsibility for the BR.

Players warming up by throwing overhand do not require face masks or catcher's helmet. Once a player starts throwing underhand (pitching motion), the receiving player must wear a catcher's helmet. A batting helmet is not sufficient as a bad bounce could manage to hit the chin or throat area. I don't know if it's stated in the rules book as I've noted. One elder told me that it didn't apply until the catcher went into a crouch. That is not correct.

Warning should have been given. Restriction by rule could have been given and would apply to the coach and the player violating. The pitcher didn't violate any rule.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
The pitcher didn't violate any rule.
Unless you are a personal injury lawyer.