The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Now I'm confused. Why doesn't the rule change make a difference?

What I find faulty with it is the lack of a penalty associated with a violation. What happens when a coach fails to report that he/she has entered a new pitcher or catcher? In NCAA play, if a coach fails to report a defensive change, the opposing coach may bring it to the umpire's attention immediately after that player is involved in a play, and as a result has the option to take the results of the play or negate the play (essentially a "do-over"). But based upon the Rule Changes document, there is nothing that mentions a penalty.

Here's another thing: suppose the coach has no intention of using a CR for his/her pitcher or catcher. Better yet, he/she doesn't have any players eligible to serve as a CR because he/she has nobody on the bench. If he/she make a pitching or catching change, is that coach required to report it? The new rule will be listed under the CR rule, not under the substitution rule in Section 4, so without a CR available to him/her, is there really a requirement to make the announcement?

Perhaps this will all be addressed when the rule book comes out. For now, this is the conundrum.
As you said, no penalty, so no real change.

It does not matter which Section, the Rules are an entire rule and all apply to all, unless a specific exception like SP vs. FP.

NCAA over does it on that, but required now might be a notice advantage to the opponent at lower levels.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Well, if he said that to me, then I would immediately change Maddy from F1 to F3 on my card since he just announced the change, and not allow the CR.
This plays out I feel a little bit like an Abbott and Costello routine. Let's call the correct pitcher former firstbaseman Kennedy.

Coach: I want to courtesy run for my pitcher Kennedy at first base.

Ump: You can't do that coach, Maddy is your pitcher.

C: No, I switched them up.

U: You didn't report it, so we're sticking with Maddy is your pitcher.

C: Fine, well Maddy's been playing first base, but if you say she's my pitcher I'll CR for her.

U: Maddy's been on first base; then you can't courtesy run for her. I'll update my line up card.

C: So I can't put Maddy in because she's the first baseman.

U: No.

C: So who's my pitcher?

U: Kennedy

C: So I want to CR for Kennedy.

U: [go back to the first line and repeat a few times but eventually this ends with Kennedy being CR for]

I think the bigger conundrum is that you might not know or remember who was actually the last pitcher. But BY RULE, that's the player they can CR for and your card doesn't change that. And if you can't figure out who was pitching your going to have to make your best guess and stick with it, but there's got to be somebody he can courtesy run for.

Last edited by youngump; Wed Dec 12, 2018 at 09:04pm. Reason: (Typographical error at the end)
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I agree that the "last played" rule is a rule.
Lineup is a record, even though it applies to the top of the first inning.

As said, umpires might or might not know who that was.
Besides, if we know but it was not reported, are we obligated to recognize that when a CR is requested?
Not only that, but are we obligated to ask the coach about it when a new pitcher takes over?

The rule change having no penalty makes it easier to help the coach.