The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   best way to handle a check swing (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103942-best-way-handle-check-swing.html)

Scooby Sat Jul 28, 2018 01:52am

best way to handle a check swing

Sit: runner in 1st, 3-0 count, the pitch is out of the zone and called a ball. the runner advances and the catcher asks if she swung. HOw do you handle this ? And if your base umpire judges a swing, do you bring the runner back from second?

Tru_in_Blu Sat Jul 28, 2018 07:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 1023412)
Unless you are 100% sure it was no-swing, then YES go to your partner. And if BU says YES she went, then YES bring her back w/ 3-1 count.

"Her" who? Batter or base runner?

The question refers to the base runner.

CecilOne Sat Jul 28, 2018 07:24am

A runner can advance on either a ball or a strike. :rolleyes:

RKBUmp Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:04am

If the only reason the runner advanced was because of the ball 4 that was reversed on the check swing appeal, then yes, you return the runner. Its called umpire jeopardy.

Tru_in_Blu Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1023417)
If the only reason the runner advanced was because of the ball 4 that was reversed on the check swing appeal, then yes, you return the runner. Its called umpire jeopardy.

And if the runner was stealing on the pitch, but the catcher didn't throw because of the ball 4 call?

RKBUmp Sat Jul 28, 2018 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1023418)
And if the runner was stealing on the pitch, but the catcher didn't throw because of the ball 4 call?

If the delay of call or reversal of an umpires call allowed the runner to advance or affected the play, then fix it.

CecilOne Sat Jul 28, 2018 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1023420)
If the delay of call or reversal of an umpires call allowed the runner to advance or affected the play, then fix it.

What is your criteria, beyond the runner standing on a base until a coach says ball four, go?

RKBUmp Sat Jul 28, 2018 02:09pm

Didn't I just answer that question? If the umpire called ball 4 and it resulted in the catcher not throwing down or the runner simply advancing to 2nd on the apparent walk, fix it.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jul 28, 2018 09:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1023417)

And if the catcher thought it was a swing, she should have followed through with the play.

You do not move the runner back.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jul 28, 2018 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1023422)
Didn't I just answer that question? If the umpire called ball 4 and it resulted in the catcher not throwing down or the runner simply advancing to 2nd on the apparent walk, fix it.

If the catcher throws the runner out, are you going to negate the out and put the runner back?

RKBUmp Sat Jul 28, 2018 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1023435)
If the catcher throws the runner out, are you going to negate the out and put the runner back?

If my ball 4 call resulted in the runner pulling up and getting tagged out, yes I would put them back at first.

CecilOne Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1023422)

Not really, about criteria.
Say runner off 1st, running, at the moment of the dead ball call.
Reaches 2nd, even if slowed up, how should we determine if a steal or umpire jeopardy?

CecilOne Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1023436)
If my ball 4 call resulted in the runner pulling up and getting tagged out, yes I would put them back at first.

Ignoring any poor coaching suggestion, the runner was going regardless of the pitch call; putting herself in jeopardy.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 29, 2018 09:38pm

If there is a play in progress, the umpire shouldn't be going for help until it is over. After all, shouldn't the BU be moving with and watching the advancing runner and prepare for a possible play?

EricH Wed Aug 01, 2018 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1023411)
Sit: runner in 1st, 3-0 count, the pitch is out of the zone and called a ball. the runner advances and the catcher asks if she swung. HOw do you handle this ? And if your base umpire judges a swing, do you bring the runner back from second?

How quickly do you call the pitch? There should be about one second between the ball hitting the glove and your call. If you delay sufficiently, the catcher should have already released the ball (or be most of the way through her throwing motion) to have any possibility of retiring a runner attempting to steal. In that case, there should be no doubt that if the catcher did not throw, it was because she was not going to throw whatever your call was.