The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Please take this quiz

I am looking for some data about our knowledge of the use of the lineup card in NFHS games.

Please take a couple of minutes to answer 3 question.

https://goo.gl/forms/X5SsbD4mE3JYoWBo2

Thanks,
Jess

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
I am looking for some data about our knowledge of the use of the lineup card in NFHS games.

Please take a couple of minutes to answer 3 question.

https://goo.gl/forms/X5SsbD4mE3JYoWBo2

Thanks,
Jess
1 - too hard to read,

2- D

3 - none of the above
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. I'm a dumb coach and got 3/3 score.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 05:52pm
Never Stop Learning

There is no correct answer for 3 as this is not an unreported sub. It was reported to the umpire but they didn't do their job.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
There is no correct answer for 3 as this is not an unreported sub. It was reported to the umpire but they didn't do their job.
True, but I think the point of the quiz is to see how you would handle the unthinkable if it happens. The game must continue. You have to pick one of those options.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Not unreported. It was reported to the umpire. All play stands. Apologize if you want.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
True, but I think the point of the quiz is to see how you would handle the unthinkable if it happens. The game must continue. You have to pick one of those options.
I think you have to choose a correct option, not one of those listed.
The correct option is umpire mistake, no effect on the team with the sub and no recognizable jeopardy for the umpires to correct.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Question #1 Yes, the line-up card supplied at the coaches pre-game conference should be accepted.

Question #2 D is the correct answer, though I think we have all thought we will just write it down later. Reporting to the opposing team, in this case, the visitor coach is a rule requirement. Rule 3-1-3. If you would have caught the line-up error of #5 not being listed it would be a quick resolution.

Question #3 B, I think after you screwed up in your logic of the question #2 if "C" was your actions/answer, you should apologize. If you had done what was required there would be no need for question #3.

Backstory, an elimination game in one of our state's championships questions 1, 2 and 3 happened. The lineup was presented with #5 missing, something similar to question #2 happened, which resulted in the question #3, with the coach calling it an ILLEGAL SUBSTITUTION. It got ugly and complicated (50-minute delay) with a UIC being called to the field, multiple calls to a State Director. The big problem, the visiting coach simply not being able to accept the ruling.

Luckily I was working an 11 inning 3+ hour game on another field wondering why they couldn't finish the 7th.

Like I said it would have never got to the problem in the 7th if good record keeping practices would have been followed.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
It got ugly and complicated (50-minute delay) with a UIC being called to the field, multiple calls to a State Director. The big problem, the visiting coach simply not being able to accept the ruling.
I let coaches vent too long when I've made a mistake, but 50 minutes is insane. Run the coach and start playing ball again.
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Not unreported. It was reported to the umpire. All play stands. Apologize if you want.
I would also issue the warning at this point. #5 still has to go on my card and that means I'm changing it.
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

apologies for the confusion, youngump... my ruling is based on the premise that the umpire did enter the change on the line-up sheet (between innings, and before the play in question), but failed to notify the opposing coach.
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
apologies for the confusion, youngump... my ruling is based on the premise that the umpire did enter the change on the line-up sheet (between innings, and before the play in question), but failed to notify the opposing coach.
Your clarification raises an interesting tangential play to my mind.

Lineup is submitted with two players left off; 1 & 2. In the 3rd inning, 1 is entered for 3 and the umpire fails to note that 1 wasn't on the card or to report it. Then in the 5th inning 2 enters for 4 and the umpire correctly warns, enters, and reports. Now in the seventh the defense protests that 1 is illegally in for 3. Would you restrict?
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Entering it is for the record. As long as the team reported the sub to the umpire, it counts.
Of course, there is then the warning for the sub not being listed.
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

Lineup is submitted with two players left off; 1 & 2. In the 3rd inning, 1 is entered for 3 and the umpire fails to note that 1 wasn't on the card or to report it. Then in the 5th inning 2 enters for 4 and the umpire correctly warns, enters, and reports. Now in the seventh the defense protests that 1 is illegally in for 3. Would you restrict?
the umpire fails to note that 1 wasn't on the card

or to report it.
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

Do you mean unreported or illegal for some other reason.
Unreported sub is now in the game, should have been noted as unreported.

The defense can protest an unreported sub as long as they are in the game.
So, yes, restrict and hope they have another sub or #3 can re-enter.