The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 04, 2018, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

What is the rule?

What is the rule in high school softball for a batter throwing her bat multiple times and making contact with the empire and catcher?
Old Fri May 04, 2018, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

In NFHS the umpire can issue a team warning for the first incident and after that the next player to throw a bat and I believe the coach are restricted to the dugout.
Old Fri May 04, 2018, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
What is the rule in high school softball for a batter throwing her bat multiple times and making contact with the empire and catcher?
Assume you mean actual throwing (anger/temper) or just careless losing control.
Old Sat May 05, 2018, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Careless, definitely not maliciously.
Old Sun May 06, 2018, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

The umpire can warn the team for carelessly throwing the bat. Any future batter who throws her bat will be ejected from the game, per NFHS rules.
Old Sun May 06, 2018, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
The umpire can warn the team for carelessly throwing the bat. Any future batter who throws her bat will be ejected from the game, per NFHS rules.
No, back a few years ago they changed this from an ejection to a bench restriction.
Old Mon May 07, 2018, 08:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

From the NFHS Improper Conduct Chart:

• Carelessly throwing a bat is a team warning for the first offense with subsequent offenders restricted to the dugout.
  • Deliberately throwing equipment is ejection, unless judged to be minor. Then, it's a warning to the offender followed by an ejection if she repeats the conduct.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed May 09, 2018, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Found it
Fed 3-6 art 16
Old Wed May 09, 2018, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

What's the difference, for players, anyway? AFAIK, players can't really be removed from the premises,because they are (usually) minors and need to be under supervision, so a dugout restriction is practically synonymous with an ejection for a player (except if suspensions are involved, maybe).
Old Wed May 09, 2018, 09:55pm
Call it as I see it.

Nothing can be done about careless throwing unless it interferes with the play then we have an out.

7-4-14 The batter throws her bat and interferes with a defensive player
attempting a play.

NOTE: lf the bat breaks and a portion is hit by the ball or hits a runner or fielder, no infraction
has occurred.

Rule 3-6-16 Team personnel shall not deliberately throw bats, helmets or any
other piece of equipment.
Old Thu May 10, 2018, 10:38am
Oklahoma Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Nothing can be done about careless throwing unless it interferes with the play then we have an out.

7-4-14 The batter throws her bat and interferes with a defensive player
attempting a play.

NOTE: lf the bat breaks and a portion is hit by the ball or hits a runner or fielder, no infraction
has occurred.

Rule 3-6-16 Team personnel shall not deliberately throw bats, helmets or any
other piece of equipment.
Yes, there is something that can be done about it.
3-6-3 covers it.

ART. 3 . . . A team member shall not carelessly throw a bat.

PENALTY: (Arts. 2 through 10) The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.
Old Thu May 10, 2018, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's the difference, for players, anyway? AFAIK, players can't really be removed from the premises,because they are (usually) minors and need to be under supervision, so a dugout restriction is practically synonymous with an ejection for a player (except if suspensions are involved, maybe).
I think it is more semantics and definitions for the most part.

Ejections carry the penalty of "out of sight, out of sound" which means the ejected person leaves.

Since HS players are minors and require supervision we don't impose the penalty of "ejection" on a player. A player is "restricted to the dugout". An adult (coach or other bench personnel) can be ejected. NFHS also allows us the intermediary penalty of a restriction to the dugout for the adult personnel.
Old Thu May 10, 2018, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my state, a player ejection carries an automatic suspension from the next two games. A bench restriction is just that and there's no further penalty involved.
Old Thu May 10, 2018, 01:53pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrischard View Post
Yes, there is something that can be done about it.
3-6-3 covers it.

ART. 3 . . . A team member shall not carelessly throw a bat.

PENALTY: (Arts. 2 through 10) The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.
Okay there is definitely something that can be done about it
Old Thu May 10, 2018, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think it is more semantics and definitions for the most part.

Ejections carry the penalty of "out of sight, out of sound" which means the ejected person leaves.

Since HS players are minors and require supervision we don't impose the penalty of "ejection" on a player. A player is "restricted to the dugout". An adult (coach or other bench personnel) can be ejected. NFHS also allows us the intermediary penalty of a restriction to the dugout for the adult personnel.
Never had to deal with it, but didn't care that the players were a minor. Some of those little shits can act up to the point they need to go. And if that is the case, send them. It ISN'T the umpire's responsibility to babysit them, it is the coach's LEGAL responsibility.