Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

mechanic

Fed:
Runners on 1st & 2nd or
Bases loaded.
Would there be any situation where the PU comes up to take a play at 3rd?
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Bu has first play at third from a infielder and the B/R
Pu has everything else at third

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbendon View Post
Bu has first play at third from a infielder and the B/R
Pu has everything else at third

And "from an infielder " means the play started in the infield, not a relay.

Also, a play at the plate overrides PU coverage of 3rd.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting...so every time the catcher goes to the mound if the offense(with runners)meets the defensive coach gets togo with no charge. That to me seems like a lot of conferencing with no charge

Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 05:56pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbendon View Post
Interesting...so every time the catcher goes to the mound if the offense(with runners)meets the defensive coach gets togo with no charge. That to me seems like a lot of conferencing with no charge

Posted in the wrong thread. But since you brought it up, there's nothing we can do, by rule. The NCAA has addressed this somewhat by stating that runners cannot vacate their bases to talk to a coach while the defense conducts a players-only meeting. But even in NCAA, when the defense meets up, the batter can go up to a coach to talk strategy with no conference being charged.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 23, 2018, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

Also, a play at the plate overrides PU coverage of 3rd.
Perhaps this is also the reason why baseball plate umpires do not rotate to 3rd with runners in scoring position, except on the R1/R2 situation, fly ball to the outfield <2 outs, and R2 tagging up to go to 3rd (R1/R3 is a rotation situation in 2-man (and some 3-man systems) and R3 is also a rotation situation in softball (and some baseball) 3-man on batted balls to the outfield, but those situations are exceptions, because the runner on 3rd base is expected to score without a play made on him/her).

In softball 3-man, none of the OP situations involve rotations, because umpires would be in the counter-rotated position (U3 is in D, U1 is in B).
Old Mon Apr 23, 2018, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Perhaps this is also the reason why baseball plate umpires do not rotate to 3rd with runners in scoring position, except on the R1/R2 situation, fly ball to the outfield <2 outs, and R2 tagging up to go to 3rd (R1/R3 is a rotation situation in 2-man (and some 3-man systems) and R3 is also a rotation situation in softball (and some baseball) 3-man on batted balls to the outfield, but those situations are exceptions, because the runner on 3rd base is expected to score without a play made on him/her).

In softball 3-man, none of the OP situations involve rotations, because umpires would be in the counter-rotated position (U3 is in D, U1 is in B).
Hate the term "counter-rotated" It is a non-entity. Then again, baseball should not be part of the discussion
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Two umpire system.
Third base coverage is primarily the PU, unless there is a concurrent play at home plate.
The BU covers third when it is the first play of a batted ball and from the infield; because that is usually too quick for the PU to get there.
The BU also covers third with a last runner.
Because it is a time factor, an infielder going into the outfield and throwing to 3rd allows the PU to get to 3rd; so it is an outfield play.
So are relay throws if started in the outfield.

The time factor is the same reason the BU covers pickoffs at 3rd and throw backs from home plate.

Communication. The PU covering 3rd for whatever reason should be yelling " I have third" on the way.
I have a habit of yelling "I have home" if I have to leave third to cover a play at home.

Last edited by CecilOne; Wed Apr 25, 2018 at 09:05am.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Hate the term "counter-rotated" It is a non-entity. Then again, baseball should not be part of the discussion
The only reason I used that term is because it exists in softball mechanics manuals to describe situations where runners are in scoring position before the pitch.

I used baseball to show why a rotation might not happen with runners in scoring position (HP has to prepare for a play at the plate, so U1 (and U3) need to watch the other baserunners), and I inferred that softball might use similar logic for this type of situation. I say this because I have experience working both sports.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
The only reason I used that term is because it exists in softball mechanics manuals to describe situations where runners are in scoring position before the pitch.
In all my years as a clinician, I have never used the term because it makes no sense. In those situations, there is no "rotation"

Quote:
I used baseball to show why a rotation might not happen with runners in scoring position (HP has to prepare for a play at the plate, so U1 (and U3) need to watch the other base runners), and I inferred that softball might use similar logic for this type of situation. I say this because I have experience working both sports.
Then why not just refer to softball mechanics?
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Had this situation yesterday. Runners on first & second. Base hit to left field, runner from second takes a small turn around third, F7 throws a strike to F5 in an attempt to get runner at third because she rounded third. Runner dives back into third base. How is the plate umpire suppose to make that call?
Old Thu Apr 26, 2018, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Had this situation yesterday. Runners on first & second. Base hit to left field, runner from second takes a small turn around third, F7 throws a strike to F5 in an attempt to get runner at third because she rounded third. Runner dives back into third base. How is the plate umpire suppose to make that call?
By using the prescribed mechanics, this call is easy
Old Thu Apr 26, 2018, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PU making proper use on the holding zone and then reading the throw. This is a very easy call to make (restating what Mike say).
Old Thu Apr 26, 2018, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Easy. By being away from the plate and in position for 3rd; in the time it takes the ball to get to LF and back and a runner to get to and round 3rd; plenty of time.