The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Left turn after touching first base

NFHS--I am BU. Nobody on, no outs. B1 hits ball to F5, who throws the ball into the dirt at 1st. F3 is off the bag and fields the throw as B1 crosses 1st safely, turns left and starts back toward 1st. Defensive coach is yelling at F3 to tag the runner, which she dutifully does. Coach yells at me She's out! I respectfully respond that she isn't. Coach asks for time and tells me because the runner is out because she turned left after crossing 1st safely. I explain to him that she made no attempt to go to 2nd (None. No feint, jerk of the head, juke, nothing.) After explaining this for the second time to the coach, I told him B1 remain on 1st. His parting comment--"You got that one wrong!" I have tried to find this situation in the rule book with no luck. The "Look-Back Rule" section does cover similar situations but the Look Back was not in play here. Comments?
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

You wont find a rule about turning left because there is none. The runner either attempted to advance to 2nd or they didn't. You said she made no move toward 2nd, there is your answer.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I think "look back" 4.d applies and is helped by 4.c.
Those rules exist and have existed since before Art 1; so they apply, I think.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Those rules apply to the lookback rule when it is in effect. Based on the description of the play it would seem f3 had the ball so the lookback would have no bearing on the play in question. It is simply a question of did the runner attempt to advance toward 2nd or not? The answer was no, so the runner is not liable to be tagged out. There is no rule saying the batter/runner must turn one way or the other.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

This is the appeal that really isn't an appeal. This is when a BR overruns first base and attempts to advance toward 2nd base.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhjr View Post
NFHS-- I have tried to find this situation in the rule book with no luck. The "Look-Back Rule" section does cover similar situations but the Look Back was not in play here. Comments?
I know you asked about NFHS which i am not very familiar with. In USA book there is a rule 8.8.I that I think covers this. THE RUNNER IS NOT OUT When a batter runner overruns 1st base after touching it and returns directly to the base.

Your runner overran 1st and returned directly. The USA book does not limit turning right or left in this case. (In the Look-back rule there are some limitations attached to the turning direction.) There is a little more (very little more) in the USA appeals section of the Rule Supplements.

Actually I just looked this up in my old 2015 Fed book and it is there also. Page 71. 8.8 Article 9.

Last edited by josephrt1; Mon Apr 16, 2018 at 01:07am.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2018, 02:26pm
Stirrer of the Pot

This is pretty much universal in all rule sets for both softball and baseball. After overrunning first base, the BR only puts herself/himself in jeopardy for a tag out as he/she returns to the bag if he/she made a noticeable attempt to advance to second. There is no requirement anywhere that says the BR must turn clockwise in order to return to first base. That's just one of the many myths of the game that coaches and parents tend to perpetuate through sheer ignorance of the rules.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 16, 2018, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
This is pretty much universal in all rule sets for both softball and baseball. After overrunning first base, the BR only puts herself/himself in jeopardy for a tag out as he/she returns to the bag if he/she made a noticeable attempt to advance to second. There is no requirement anywhere that says the BR must turn clockwise in order to return to first base. That's just one of the many myths of the game that coaches and parents tend to perpetuate through sheer ignorance of the rules.
It's because young kids are taught to always turn right so they avoid any question and the coach doesn't have to worry. Then they grow up thinking turning right (clockwise) is a rule.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Although I never played organized baseball, as a kid in sandlot I do remember being told (by the other kids, of course) that if you turn left you can be tagged out. As CecilOne mentioned, it seems to be embedded in some players as well as coaches.