The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Rundown OBS

2-2 count, R1 on 3B. Pitch is low for a ball, R1 forgets what's going on and trots casually towards home. F2 runs towards R1, who has been alerted to the problem...then F2 throws to F5 at 3B. R1 breaks for home, F5 chasing and closing the gap quickly. F2 stands in the baseline and obstructs R1. F5 tags R1 twenty feet from home.

Where do you put the runner?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
2-2 count, R1 on 3B. Pitch is low for a ball, R1 forgets what's going on and trots casually towards home. F2 runs towards R1, who has been alerted to the problem...then F2 throws to F5 at 3B. R1 breaks for home, F5 chasing and closing the gap quickly. F2 stands in the baseline and obstructs R1. F5 tags R1 twenty feet from home.

Scores - unless SB is completely out of its mind.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Okay, but was F2 in the runner's base path?

Don't know where I would place the runner without seeing it, but a default would have to be to the advantage of the offended team.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

The OP says "obstructs R1", so the judgment then becomes whether the "closing the gap quickly" F5 would have caught R1 before home with no OBS.
IOW, did the OBS cost R1 the twenty feet?

If judged that R1 would have been tagged by F5 before home without OBS, R1 gets 3rd. If not, R1 gets home.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

So SB IS out of its mind. You can obstruct in a rundown with no penalty.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Tue Feb 06, 2018 at 11:54am.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
So SB IS out of its mind.
The proper idea of the rule is to remove/offset the disadvantage, not just to punish the D or give a gift to the O.

Oh yeah, it requires judgment.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Unless this is some trick question, seems simple to me. R1 goes back to third.

And the coach gives his/her runner a head slap to WAKE UP!

Runner was obstructed and caught 20 feet from the plate. If s/he had been tagged 3 or 4 feet from HP, I might think otherwise.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So SB IS out of its mind. You can obstruct in a rundown with no penalty.
The result of OBS in USA softball is never a "penalty". The intent of the rule is to remove the effect of the obstruction, not penalize the defense.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
The result of OBS in USA softball is never a "penalty". The intent of the rule is to remove the effect of the obstruction, not penalize the defense.
So I can tackle the runner going home and get the runner put back at third? It's an illegal act. Why can I get away with it?

Yeah, I know she tripped the runner headed to 2B but "That's not fair. She would have been out anyhow." I guess whining pays off.

For contrast, why, in ALL baseball rules, is obstruction in a rundown penalized by giving the runner the next base? Because obstructing a runner is illegal. Penalize it.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I can tackle the runner going home and get the runner put back at third? It's an illegal act. Why can I get away with it?

Yeah, I know she tripped the runner headed to 2B but "That's not fair. She would have been out anyhow." I guess whining pays off.

For contrast, why, in ALL baseball rules, is obstruction in a rundown penalized by giving the runner the next base? Because obstructing a runner is illegal. Penalize it.
Just telling you the rule.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Because obstruction in softball is not a punitive penalty, it is simply to correct what the defense cost the offense and nothing more. The obstructed runner and any other runner affected by the obstruction get awarded the base or bases the umpire judges they would have reached absent the obstruction.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do you really want to talk about UC ejection plays, or are you just trolling?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

In NSA the award in a rundown is the next base regardless of which way the runner is headed at the time of obstruction.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know about you guys...........but...........in my book the runner's brain fart started this rundown. She got herself caught in a world of hurt. Myself, in my consideration of where I would place her..........her initial "walking" toward home is she's "never" going to make it so the best she's gonna get is back to 3rd base where she started. She's lucky to get out of the mess and her coach is probably pretty happy it's back to square one.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Don't be absurd. Ridiculously absurd. Yes, USA Softball allows for the fact that many, if not most occurrences of obstruction are unintentional. And automatic one base advance is about as absurd as your given scenario.

NFHS used to have an automatic award for all OBS. Umpires would ignore obvious OBS simply because they believed awarding 2B on an attempted pick-off at 1B was ridiculous.