The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Rundown OBS (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103477-rundown-obs.html)

teebob21 Tue Feb 06, 2018 03:51am

Rundown OBS

2-2 count, R1 on 3B. Pitch is low for a ball, R1 forgets what's going on and trots casually towards home. F2 runs towards R1, who has been alerted to the problem...then F2 throws to F5 at 3B. R1 breaks for home, F5 chasing and closing the gap quickly. F2 stands in the baseline and obstructs R1. F5 tags R1 twenty feet from home.

Where do you put the runner?

Rich Ives Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1016362)
2-2 count, R1 on 3B. Pitch is low for a ball, R1 forgets what's going on and trots casually towards home. F2 runs towards R1, who has been alerted to the problem...then F2 throws to F5 at 3B. R1 breaks for home, F5 chasing and closing the gap quickly. F2 stands in the baseline and obstructs R1. F5 tags R1 twenty feet from home.

Scores - unless SB is completely out of its mind.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45am

Quote:

Okay, but was F2 in the runner's base path?

Don't know where I would place the runner without seeing it, but a default would have to be to the advantage of the offended team.

CecilOne Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42am

Quote:

The OP says "obstructs R1", so the judgment then becomes whether the "closing the gap quickly" F5 would have caught R1 before home with no OBS.
IOW, did the OBS cost R1 the twenty feet?

If judged that R1 would have been tagged by F5 before home without OBS, R1 gets 3rd. If not, R1 gets home.

Rich Ives Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46am

So SB IS out of its mind. You can obstruct in a rundown with no penalty.

CecilOne Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1016384)
So SB IS out of its mind.

The proper idea of the rule is to remove/offset the disadvantage, not just to punish the D or give a gift to the O. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, it requires judgment. :p

Tru_in_Blu Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:22pm

Unless this is some trick question, seems simple to me. R1 goes back to third.

And the coach gives his/her runner a head slap to WAKE UP!

Runner was obstructed and caught 20 feet from the plate. If s/he had been tagged 3 or 4 feet from HP, I might think otherwise.

Dakota Tue Feb 06, 2018 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1016384)
So SB IS out of its mind. You can obstruct in a rundown with no penalty.

The result of OBS in USA softball is never a "penalty". The intent of the rule is to remove the effect of the obstruction, not penalize the defense.

Rich Ives Tue Feb 06, 2018 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1016399)
The result of OBS in USA softball is never a "penalty". The intent of the rule is to remove the effect of the obstruction, not penalize the defense.

So I can tackle the runner going home and get the runner put back at third? It's an illegal act. Why can I get away with it?

Yeah, I know she tripped the runner headed to 2B but "That's not fair. She would have been out anyhow." I guess whining pays off.

For contrast, why, in ALL baseball rules, is obstruction in a rundown penalized by giving the runner the next base? Because obstructing a runner is illegal. Penalize it.

Dakota Tue Feb 06, 2018 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1016402)
So I can tackle the runner going home and get the runner put back at third? It's an illegal act. Why can I get away with it?

Yeah, I know she tripped the runner headed to 2B but "That's not fair. She would have been out anyhow." I guess whining pays off.

For contrast, why, in ALL baseball rules, is obstruction in a rundown penalized by giving the runner the next base? Because obstructing a runner is illegal. Penalize it.

Just telling you the rule.

RKBUmp Tue Feb 06, 2018 06:27pm

Because obstruction in softball is not a punitive penalty, it is simply to correct what the defense cost the offense and nothing more. The obstructed runner and any other runner affected by the obstruction get awarded the base or bases the umpire judges they would have reached absent the obstruction.

CecilOne Tue Feb 06, 2018 06:44pm

Quote:

Do you really want to talk about UC ejection plays, or are you just trolling? :eek:

robbie Tue Feb 06, 2018 07:58pm

In NSA the award in a rundown is the next base regardless of which way the runner is headed at the time of obstruction.

Linknblue Tue Feb 06, 2018 08:35pm

I don't know about you guys...........but...........in my book the runner's brain fart started this rundown. She got herself caught in a world of hurt. Myself, in my consideration of where I would place her..........her initial "walking" toward home is she's "never" going to make it so the best she's gonna get is back to 3rd base where she started. She's lucky to get out of the mess and her coach is probably pretty happy it's back to square one.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13pm

Quote:

Don't be absurd. Ridiculously absurd. Yes, USA Softball allows for the fact that many, if not most occurrences of obstruction are unintentional. And automatic one base advance is about as absurd as your given scenario.

NFHS used to have an automatic award for all OBS. Umpires would ignore obvious OBS simply because they believed awarding 2B on an attempted pick-off at 1B was ridiculous.