The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA Fast Pitch Questions

Recently a group in my area that host about 25-30 tournaments a year in our area, joined ranks with USSSA. This has created a lot of questions as we are all used to working USA and NFHS softball. So any input would be appreciated.

Does USSSA in your area require the umpires to check bats before each game? Yes I know Federation has ended this, but still takes place at USA tournaments.

Am I reading the rule book correctly, as it states using an illegal bat, is just a warning, the first time?

Do they have any other quirky rules? just started reading the rule book, but have a 60 team tournament this weekend.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

USSSA in Colorado requires you to check the bats prior to every game. Make sure the bats have the USSSA thumbprint on the bat. If a batter is caught using an illegal bat, the batter is called out and runners are returned. If it is the first offense a team warning is given. If it is the second offense, the batter is also restricted to the bench, and the coach is ejected.
USSSA does have a few other differences. They allow you to have two (2) AP's (additional players) in the lineup. So you can bat 11, and have twelve players listed if you use the DP/Flex.
Also they have a screwy short handed rule. You can play short handed, taking an out for the absent player(s), and can continue playing with 8 players. So if you are batting 11, you could have three absent players and still continue the game. Plus it doesn't matter why the player is absent, including an ejection.
Courtesy runners are a little different to. A courtesy runner can be used for the pitcher in one inning, and the catcher in another inning. Just not in the same half inning.
There are other subtle differences, if you read the rule book.
In Colorado we use the college CCA Manual for mechanics. I'm not sure if that is national or not.