The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Possible dropped 3rd strike mechanics

Same C ball weekend. I'm working with a new ump. He's plate. 2 outs. Runner on 3rd. Batter swings at a ball that bounces in the dirt into the catchers glove. Plate says strike three (not an out call). Batter walks toward dugout, not attempting to go to first. Offensive coach says he thinks there's only 2 strikes. Partner asks me. I say I only have 2. I come to him (watching BR who is still standing close to out of play). He asks what to do and I say you need to ask both coaches. One coach has 3. One has 2. They continue to talk on the field with BR still very close to out of play. After a moment he declares "that was strike 3". BR then walks into dugout. 3rd out recorded. Inning over.

My thoughts were...
-No time was ever called. Correct? We had to give the BR and the runner at 3rd a chance to advance if it was strike 3. With plate ump and both coaches on the field, what could have happened if BR did go to 1st or if runner on 3rd broke for home? Potential coaches interference somewhere? There was no complaints from the offensive side, but I wondered about the mechanics.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Same C ball weekend. I'm working with a new ump. He's plate. 2 outs. Runner on 3rd. Batter swings at a ball that bounces in the dirt into the catchers glove. Plate says strike three (not an out call). Batter walks toward dugout, not attempting to go to first. Offensive coach says he thinks there's only 2 strikes. Partner asks me. I say I only have 2. I come to him (watching BR who is still standing close to out of play). He asks what to do and I say you need to ask both coaches. One coach has 3. One has 2. They continue to talk on the field with BR still very close to out of play. After a moment he declares "that was strike 3". BR then walks into dugout. 3rd out recorded. Inning over.

My thoughts were...
-No time was ever called. Correct? We had to give the BR and the runner at 3rd a chance to advance if it was strike 3. With plate ump and both coaches on the field, what could have happened if BR did go to 1st or if runner on 3rd broke for home? Potential coaches interference somewhere? There was no complaints from the offensive side, but I wondered about the mechanics.
As to what "could have happened", it was the runners and OC responsibility to advance or not in case. One or the other might have been out (probably).

I guess there could have been CI, if they hindered a play.

Mechanics: 1 -keep coaches in dugout or at least out of the way
2 - count is up to you 2, not the coaches if they disagree.

It's late, so let me know if there are any trees in that forest.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post

My thoughts were...
-No time was ever called. Correct?
No, the moment the umpires began communicating, suspension of play is assumed.

Quote:
We had to give the BR and the runner at 3rd a chance to advance if it was strike 3. With plate ump and both coaches on the field, what could have happened if BR did go to 1st or if runner on 3rd broke for home? Potential coaches interference somewhere? There was no complaints from the offensive side, but I wondered about the mechanics.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Oct 20, 2017 at 10:57am.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

And sometimes there's just an "assumed" time out. As in "official's time out". If both coaches and the umpires are conversing about a play or ruling or rule and there wasn't a "signaled" time out, they just starting their discussion inho you'd have to be pretty much on bad ground if someone on the bases advanced and scored while you were in a discussion. I'm simply saying "NO", we had time go back. Don't think an arguement is going to fly here. Again imho!
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

As has been stated...once your partner came to you for help on the count, TIME is assumed and play is suspended.

Had you both conferred and agreed that it was strike 3, you do your best to reconstruct what you think would have happened and place runners accordingly.

From your description, it seems as if the batter-runner was heading into the dugout and the runner on third wasn't trying to advance. Let the play stand and change sides.