The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 25, 2017, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Intentionally breaking a rule- USC or just stupid?

fed rules. BR overruns 1b, ball in circle, BR heads back toward 1b and breaks for 2b. BR out. After a calm conversation, in which I refer OC to 8.7.3 in the book, and she insists no, she knows the rules, we continue play.

Later in the day, I see her trying the same ploy (I am a spectator this time). This time she got lucky with an inattentive/ignorant Umpire.

Got me thinking… I know she knows the rule now, since I quoted it to her. If she tries it again with me, is it just a stupid move or is intentionally breaking the rules an unsportsmanlike act?
Old Sun Jun 25, 2017, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Just continue to call her runner out any time they do it and make sure to let all your fellow umpires to watch for the infraction. Sooner or later she will figure it out.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2017, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Just keep calling the out. There's no support for USC on this. Faster outs: quicker game.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a conversation needs to be had the the umpire at first. Help them retrieve their noggin from their hinter regions..........
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

4.3.1.e
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
4.3.1.e
"Willfully" gets the UC.

Let's help all with interpreting "persistently" for forfeit.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 03:59pm
Stirrer of the Pot

She could be a former college player, and thinks this move is legal in high school ball. Little does she know that NCAA Rule 12.21.6.5 applies to, well, only NCAA play.

Quote:
12.21.6.5 The batter-runner, after overrunning first base, must immediately return nonstop to first base or, if she does not retouch first base, must make an attempt to advance to second. If after passing the base, the batter-runner is heading back toward first base within the baseline extended, she may make a decision to go to either base. However, stepping beyond the extended baseline in foul territory commits her to first base while stepping beyond the baseline toward the second-base side commits her to second base.
Just keep calling her runners out in your game, and hopefully other umpires will do the same, until it finally sinks in.

Oh, and BTW, the correct rule in FED is 8-7-4d and 4e (I assume from your OP that the BR did not make it all the way back to first base when she took off for second).
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker