The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2017, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Sigh, I miss the fields.

I was ASA and USSSA certified for over 20 years. Many a state and regional game. I moved back to the DR Congo in 2004 where I had been a Peace Corps volunteer long ago.

People ask me what I miss about back home. Food and umping, not necessarily in that order. I like to come and hang out here on occasion to reminisce a little. Alleged Adults playing a kids game. Volunteering at a game where dads were going to ump and seeing their relief. Working with a rookie in a double header between two teams famous for their trash talk and teaching him how to let the guys know when it's not funny anymore so they tone it down and nobody gets mad nor ejected. Seeing someone with a videocam playing back a close play and hear silence from them as they realize that the guy in blue got it right. The after game reviews over pitchers. Having partners you've worked with so many games you don't need to think about where they are you just know. The time behind the plate of a Big10 women's game when a foul tip ripped my throat guard right off and scared the daylights out of the stands thinking that part of my throat went with it. Yes even the time I had to finish a set with an ice pack in my back pocket because of a play at the plate with only one ump followed by one at second and a catcher with a really bad aim but a strong arm (bless their souls the players stopped running when I went to my knees). OK, maybe not the time that I went set for a throw to 2nd behind the runner relayed from the outfield that went just over the fielder's glove and hit me in a spot that every man in the park gasped. Worse, it was the photo used by the paper covering the game, The ball hanging in the air in front of me after bouncing off and the runner and 2nd base on the ground in front of me with looks of horror on their faces.

So many memories.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2017, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Good to hear from you again. Stay in touch.