The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

sigh....

Don't you hate it when fouls are fouls with one set of partners, then are not with another set of partners? Ugh. Sorry, just venting after stinking it up. Hope to watch the tape and learn from it
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Understand the vent. Have any specifics that you care to share?
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 07:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Calling It Close ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Don't you hate it when fouls are fouls with one set of partners, then are not with another set of partners?
Over the past thirty-plus years, I have worked with one partner, on many occasions, who calls a very close game. He's a highly rated official, who has worked his share of state tournament games. The only thing that sets him apart from all the other 325 officials on my local board is that he calls a very close game.

I remember the very first time I worked with him. By the time we were halfway into the first period, he had called several fouls to my one foul. By halftime, I adjusted, and I've been adjusting ever since.

And, by the way, he gets no complaints from players, or coaches. He's been around for a long time, he works a lot of games, and the players, and coaches, all adjust to him. I actually enjoy working with him. He's a good partner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

ncaam. just need to watch -start-develop-finish more today. workign with 2 vets i respect a lot. was told to lay off marginal if ball goes in on shots. i know players play thru more contact at ncaa level. Tough do to for me at least in the middle of a play and wait on the basket result. Really messed up my head throughout scrim and i was unsure from then on most of the day. but live and learn. 2ndary def on c's side of paint they want c to blow (even though 2ndary defender. I thought this was always lead. I was wrong).

but believe me, i'm sure they know alot more about it than i do. it was just tough and i hope to learn from it.

Last edited by vbzebra; Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 07:47pm.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 08:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Over the past thirty-plus years, I have worked with one partner, on many occasions, who calls a very close game. He's a highly rated official, who has worked his share of state tournament games. The only thing that sets him apart from all the other 325 officials on my local board is that he calls a very close game.

I remember the very first time I worked with him. By the time we were halfway into the first period, he had called several fouls to my one foul. By halftime, I adjusted, and I've been adjusting ever since.

And, by the way, he gets no complaints from players, or coaches. He's been around for a long time, he works a lot of games, and the players, and coaches, all adjust to him. I actually enjoy working with him. He's a good partner.
This one guy calls more fouls than anybody else, so when you call with him, the rest of you adjust and call more than you otherwise would?

Something wrong with this picture.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 07:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

One End Of The Curve ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This one guy calls more fouls than anybody else, so when you call with him, the rest of you adjust and call more than you otherwise would?
He just happens to be at one end of the spectrum. Somebody has to be there. And he happens to be a very good official, respected by both coaches, and other officials. So. Yeah. You're right. When I work with him, I just decide that I'm going to call the game a little bit closer than my "normal" game, so that we get some consistency within that game. If other parts of his game (like reaching outside his primary), or his personality, or his relationship with coaches, was somehow "bad", then I'm sure that we would not be making any adjustments, and we would let him "Make his own bed and sleep in it".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
ncaam. just need to watch -start-develop-finish more today. workign with 2 vets i respect a lot. was told to lay off marginal if ball goes in on shots. i know players play thru more contact at ncaa level. Tough do to for me at least in the middle of a play and wait on the basket result. Really messed up my head throughout scrim and i was unsure from then on most of the day. but live and learn. 2ndary def on c's side of paint they want c to blow (even though 2ndary defender. I thought this was always lead. I was wrong).

but believe me, i'm sure they know alot more about it than i do. it was just tough and i hope to learn from it.
Better figure it out by the 28th....LOL
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
But of course
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 09:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
But of course
At least I'll know you'll have a lot of input in the pre-game.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At least I'll know you'll have a lot of input in the pre-game.
Correctomundo! I should have asked for one b4 yesterday's scrimmage. We had one for Saturday's scrim (dif crew) but not sun. Now I know basically to wait even a beat longer on "maybe" plays and to give c first crack at 2ndardy defenders on c's side of paint on block/charge plays, even though technically lead has all 2ndary defenders on b/c plays (correction...I THOUGHT lead had all 2ndary defenders on b/c plays). Hopefully I won't get exiled, ha!
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, what goes down on the 28th? Whatever the R says!!
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 04:23pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Correctomundo! I should have asked for one b4 yesterday's scrimmage. We had one for Saturday's scrim (dif crew) but not sun. Now I know basically to wait even a beat longer on "maybe" plays and to give c first crack at 2ndardy defenders on c's side of paint on block/charge plays, even though technically lead has all 2ndary defenders on b/c plays (correction...I THOUGHT lead had all 2ndary defenders on b/c plays). Hopefully I won't get exiled, ha!
Reading your posts hurt my head...
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 04:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

When you say contact is marginal, as a general rule that is not a foul IMO. Either the contact put a player a disadvantage or not. But if I consider contact marginal than that is not a foul I would want to call.

That being said I agree with the idea that you might call a foul based on how it gets to the basket, but the basket going in likely is not going to be the reason I call a foul on these either. Some people with any philosphy take these things too far.

Peace