The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
more base mechanics

BU in C position, with a runner on 3rd.
Is there a taught or written mechanic for movement on a potential pickoff (forward or sideways toward the foul line)?
Forward allows being perpendicular to the runner, sideways allows a view between fielder and runner.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Is there a taught or written mechanic for movement on a potential pickoff (forward or sideways toward the foul line)?
Forward allows being perpendicular to the runner, sideways allows a view between fielder and runner.
Same question for U3 in 3 umpire.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

In 2 man with runner on third I have always been taught to come straight in to get the 90 first and then if there is time to move toward the base to close the distance.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The position of F5 should help make that decision for you. If F5 is playing short, any tag has to be up the line, so you should move towards the foul line to try to see tag or miss on that plane. If F5 is deeper (closer to the base), then the tag plane is more likely the front edge of the base, so moving forward to that plane is typically better.

Quote:
Same question for U3 in 3 umpire.
This is the easy one. Start at calling depth, set, and stay there. There should almost never be a need to move; the obvious exception is if the ball is sailing at your head.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
This is the easy one. Start at calling depth, set, and stay there. There should almost never be a need to move; the obvious exception is if the ball is sailing at your head.
Steve, what is your opinion about swinging towards the coach's box to get a foul-ground 90 with the front edge of the base? (Speaking USA mechanics; I know NCAA is OK with it) This applies only to a slow developing play, and not a quick snap throw.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Steve, what is your opinion about swinging towards the coach's box to get a foul-ground 90 with the front edge of the base? (Speaking USA mechanics; I know NCAA is OK with it) This applies only to a slow developing play, and not a quick snap throw.
If the play develops so slowly that F5 is legally blocking the base (with possession, or in NCAA in the act of catching), that 90 from foul ground might prove valuable. For the vast majority of plays I see, though, the act of moving is what used to be called "happy feet", the overwhelming urge to do SOMETHING, when staying set is the best thing the umpire could do. Aside from putting them in motion as the play develops, it also generally results in the umpire being too close, and not seeing the whole picture.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Manual states move toward base parallel with base line to best angle available.

AFA U3, I believe the least amount of movement, the better. Move to the right or left of the line only as necessary to see the play. I am not a fan of fighting with the coach for position, too many people in the area when you can get just as good a view from other positions with fewer obstacles.

While the 90 is nice, I believe it can be over emphasized as a "must" in some situations.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Manual states move toward base parallel with base line to best angle available.
I'll have to look again, I guess in general base stuff, not specific starting pos.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll have to look again, I guess in general base stuff, not specific starting pos.
Bottom of page 61