The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 12, 2017, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Death in Chattanooga

Just an FYI - We lost a fellow "blue" last Friday during an exposure tournament in Chattanooga. I'm unsure of the circumstances around his passing, but apparently he had complained of headaches and had just come off the field. He was throwing up and lost consciousness. EMS was called and could not revive him. Apparently he had some additional medical issues.

The reason I'm writing this is remind everyone to drink lots of water during their Summer tournaments and don't push yourself too far. While we may be put in some situations where we feel compelled to push our limits, the cost of doing so can be severe.

During the same tournament, I was asked to do 9 games in a row. While my partner and I didn't have an official break between games, we took additional time and made sure to rest for 10-15 minutes, kept water and food going and made the best of the situation we could. We finished an hour and a half late, pissed off the UIC but we were OK - just really really tired.

Watch out for each other out there.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2017, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
... asked to do 9 games in a row. ...

This should NEVER happen.

And saying YES to outrageous requests such as the above only encourages UICs to keep making unreasonable requests of umpires.

RIP ...

Last edited by 3afan; Mon Jun 12, 2017 at 12:58pm.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2017, 12:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Just an FYI - We lost a fellow "blue" last Friday during an exposure tournament in Chattanooga. I'm unsure of the circumstances around his passing, but apparently he had complained of headaches and had just come off the field. He was throwing up and lost consciousness. EMS was called and could not revive him. Apparently he had some additional medical issues.

The reason I'm writing this is remind everyone to drink lots of water during their Summer tournaments and don't push yourself too far. While we may be put in some situations where we feel compelled to push our limits, the cost of doing so can be severe.

During the same tournament, I was asked to do 9 games in a row. While my partner and I didn't have an official break between games, we took additional time and made sure to rest for 10-15 minutes, kept water and food going and made the best of the situation we could. We finished an hour and a half late, pissed off the UIC but we were OK - just really really tired.

Watch out for each other out there.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! When I was young, good looking, and had all of my hair there was no way I would do nine games in a row. Mark, Jr., is young, good looking (like is old man once was), has all of his hair (as opposed to his old man who does not have any hair anymore), and is in good shape, and he would not do nine games in a row.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 12, 2017, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! When I was young, good looking, and had all of my hair there was no way I would do nine games in a row. Mark, Jr., is young, good looking (like is old man once was), has all of his hair (as opposed to his old man who does not have any hair anymore), and is in good shape, and he would not do nine games in a row.

MTD, Sr.
The most I ever did was 5 over an 8 hour period and that was too much.
R.I.P. brother.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 05:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

During the same tournament, I was asked to do 9 games in a row.
Makes you wonder if the umpire who passed away was also asked to do that many games, and that contributed to his demise. I certainly hope the UIC in Chattanooga didn't place this umpire in that situation.

Thoughts and prayers to the umpire's family.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Thoughts and prayers to the umpire's family.
This. God bless the man in blue.