The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 25, 2015, 06:51pm
Administrator

Anybody in Chattanooga for the Girls' ASA National?

MTD, Jr., was assigned to his first ASA Fast Pitch National this week (July 22-26): the Girls' 14U Class "B" Eastern Nationals in Canton, Ohio.

The opening ceremonies were held this past Wednesday evening, and when they were over the UIC told him that he was only going to umpire one game on Saturday (at 09:00am) because he had to be in Chattanooga by 12:00pm Sunday to umpire in the ASA/USA Girls' 16U Class "A" Nationals which goes from Sunday, July 26th, through Sunday, August 02nd.

He is on the road as I type. He is going to stay in Lexington, KY, for the night and then arrive in Chattanooga tomorrow morning.

I know this is late but if there are any readers of this post who are going to be at the tournament, look Junior up and say hello. And remind him to do what his "old man" tells him, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 25, 2015, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats to Junior. My two ASA nationals were 11 years apart, for various reasons. I will be working the 14U B Western National in Prescott, AZ, next week. Andy should also be there. :P
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

We (AZ ASA) got an email late last week requesting help with as many umpires as we could spare for the tournament in Chattanooga. I understand there are approx 180 teams entered in that tournament.

I believe NCASAUMP is at that tournament as well. I do know the 5 members of the UIC crew...good bunch and should provide some good feedback
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, NCASAUMP is there. He sent me a message earlier today wondering if I could come to Tennessee and help out!
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
We (AZ ASA) got an email late last week requesting help with as many umpires as we could spare for the tournament in Chattanooga. I understand there are approx 180 teams entered in that tournament.

I believe NCASAUMP is at that tournament as well. I do know the 5 members of the UIC crew...good bunch and should provide some good feedback
The host organizers violate ASA Code (see quote below), are permitted to proceed, and the rest of the world should jump to bail them out?? Let them stew in it, the greedy bastards.

EXCEPTIONS:
a. Junior Olympic Girls’ Class A Fast Pitch Only. No fill-in
procedure if the tournament has 138 qualified teams. At no time will the
fill-in procedure be used to exceed 138 teams.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The host organizers violate ASA Code (see quote below), are permitted to proceed, and the rest of the world should jump to bail them out?? Let them stew in it, the greedy bastards.

EXCEPTIONS:
Yes...they beg for help then expect the individual umpires to pay their own way to get there....seems to me that the tournament should be picking up the cost of travel for the additional umpires needed because so many teams were allowed to enter.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 05:03pm
Administrator

Money talks!

Quote:

EXCEPTIONS:

And why did ASA accept 45 more teams. At $550 entry fee per team that equals: $24,750!

And all of the umpires from Ohio who are umpiring in Chattanooga, none of them received traveling expenses because: Since OhioASA was hosting National tournaments this Summer, if any OhioASAS umpire umpires at a National else where in the country they are not entitled to travel expenses. It is called Host Exchange.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 05:53pm. Reason: Corrected grammar.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

EXCEPTIONS:
I'll bet you are in complete and utter shock!!!

I agree. As many problems as there are and the constant whine, the folks complaining are often the ones causing he problem.

I feel sorry for any poor UIC who does a proper evaluation that doesn't reflect well on the host.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

The Paul Harvey rest of the story is from a friend of mine who is TN this week. After calling in all of these additional umpires, the umpires assigned to the tournament are working an average of 2 games a day.

My buddy had a noon, 6pm schedule yesterday and today, and of course no travel and $30/game. But of course he also gets the "Honor and Prestige" of working an ASA National tournament.

The Honor and Prestige kind of take a hit when teams are added at the last minute, but that may just be MHO.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 08:15pm
Administrator

Quote:

EXCEPTIONS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
And why did ASA accept 45 more teams. At $550 entry fee per team that equals: $24,750!

And all of the umpires from Ohio who are umpiring in Chattanooga, none of them received traveling expenses because: Since OhioASA was hosting National tournaments this Summer, if any OhioASAS umpire umpires at a National else where in the country they are not entitled to travel expenses. It is called Host Exchange.

MTD, Sr.

I stand corrected. It was not 45 extra teams it was 47 extra teams to bring the tournament total to 185 teams which mean it was an extra $25,850.

And yes, it appears that the umpires are only umpiring two games a day. Mark, Jr., had games at 12:00pm and 06:00pm on Monday, and 10:00am and 04:00pm today.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 08:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sad to see the umpires being treated like furniture. This happens too often in too many sports.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

On the plus side, no one will complain about being tired and all umpires can give 100% to the games.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 02:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
On the plus side, no one will complain about being tired and all umpires can give 100% to the games.

I don't know about being tired. Junior umpired two games each day on Monday and Tuesday. He is umpiring three games today (Wednesday). He called me after his first game today to let me know that he has received his schedule for Thursday, and that he has four games.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I don't know about being tired. Junior umpired two games each day on Monday and Tuesday. He is umpiring three games today (Wednesday). He called me after his first game today to let me know that he has received his schedule for Thursday, and that he has four games.

MTD, Sr.
Did they use 2 or 3 umpires in pool play? If two, the increase in early DE games to 3 could account for the increase in games. Possibly a reduction in the use of the local umpires brought in for early relief
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 09:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Did they use 2 or 3 umpires in pool play? If two, the increase in early DE games to 3 could account for the increase in games. Possibly a reduction in the use of the local umpires brought in for early relief

They have been using 2-man crews every day so far. I just know that I am not umpiring because the temperatures have been in the mid-90Fs with the heat index over 100F every day and the humidity has been over 65% every day.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio