View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 05:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Just an FYI - We lost a fellow "blue" last Friday during an exposure tournament in Chattanooga. I'm unsure of the circumstances around his passing, but apparently he had complained of headaches and had just come off the field. He was throwing up and lost consciousness. EMS was called and could not revive him. Apparently he had some additional medical issues.

The reason I'm writing this is remind everyone to drink lots of water during their Summer tournaments and don't push yourself too far. While we may be put in some situations where we feel compelled to push our limits, the cost of doing so can be severe.

During the same tournament, I was asked to do 9 games in a row.
Makes you wonder if the umpire who passed away was also asked to do that many games, and that contributed to his demise. I certainly hope the UIC in Chattanooga didn't place this umpire in that situation.

Thoughts and prayers to the umpire's family.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker