The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Erroneous foul ball call

Batter moves in the box to avoid being hit by pitch. Ball hits bat, enters and comes to rest in fair territory. PU verbalizes "foul ball". Of course, this is an oops, but can the error be rectified? Would it be possible to call a "no pitch"?
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhjr View Post
Batter moves in the box to avoid being hit by pitch. Ball hits bat, enters and comes to rest in fair territory. PU verbalizes "foul ball". Of course, this is an oops, but can the error be rectified? Would it be possible to call a "no pitch"?
Live with the call.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhjr View Post
Foul ball is unredeemable.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT 73 View Post
Live with the call.
And when the following conversation occurs:

Coach: Blue, that ball came off the bat and came to rest in fair territory.
Umpire: Yes, coach, I'm afraid it did
Coach: Yet, you called it a foul ball
Umpire: Yes, coach, I'm afraid I did
Coach: So this should be considered a fair batted ball, correct?
Umpire: Well, yes
Coach: So you know it is fair, but called foul?
Umpire: I'm afraid I did
Coach: Then I'm playing the game under protest
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Thanks coach, I'll note that and turn in the report.

Play!
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Once the ball is called foul, that bell should not be unrung.....

The problem with this play is....how do you "fix" it? You can't assume that the defense would have pounced on the ball and made an out and you can't assume that the BR would have made it safely to first. No pitch is not an option.

It wasn't specified which rule set, but in NCAA, you CANNOT, by rule, change this to a fair ball.

Here is a play I had as a UIC from a few years ago....

ASA (at the time) rules, 3 umpire crew, no runners on, less than two strikes on the batter.

Pitch comes in, batter hits a ground ball to F5 playing in front of third base, ball rolls under F5's glove and goes foul prior to passing third base. PU rules foul ball. Offensive coach comes to PU and states that F5 touched the ball in fair territory and asks PU to check with his partners. PU gets crew together and U3 tells PU that the ball was touched in fair territory by F5. PU changes call to fair ball and placed the BR on first base. Defensive coach wants to protest, I am summoned to the field, get the story from the crew and talk to the defensive coach. I do not allow the protest since it was a reversal of a judgement call which is not subject to protest. Post game with crew was that PU should have told Offensive coach that he saw all he needed to and that the foul ball call stands.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Umpire: Well, yes No, coach, my judgement at the time was a foul ball.
Sorry, coach, but the judgment made at that moment cannot be protested; and the call stands.

Fixed that issue.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Andy;1005296]Once the ball is called foul, that bell should not be unrung.....

The problem with this play is....how do you "fix" it? You can't assume that the defense would have pounced on the ball and made an out and you can't assume that the BR would have made it safely to first. No pitch is not an option.

It wasn't specified which rule set, but in NCAA, you CANNOT, by rule, change this to a fair ball.

ASA (at the time) rules, 3 umpire crew, no runners on, less than two strikes on the batter.

Pitch comes in, batter hits a ground ball to F5 playing in front of third base, ball rolls under F5's glove and goes foul prior to passing third base. PU rules foul ball. Offensive coach comes to PU and states that F5 touched the ball in fair territory and asks PU to check with his partners. PU gets crew together and U3 tells PU that the ball was touched in fair territory by F5. PU changes call to fair ball and placed the BR on first base. Defensive coach wants to protest, I am summoned to the field, get the story from the crew and talk to the defensive coach. I do not allow the protest since it was a reversal of a judgement call which is not subject to protest. Post game with crew was that PU should have told Offensive coach that he saw all he needed to and that the foul ball call stands.[/QUOTE]

Wrong - Wrong - and More Wrong......
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Never had it happen but around here I've been told that this is how the rest of that goes.

Umpire: It should have been. It was incorrectly called foul
Umpire: I'm sorry but a ball inadvertently called foul must remain foul
Umpire: Sure let me grab the UIC.
UIC: Protest denied.

And the citation is always about the impossibility of unringing a bell.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No, that is your fantasy conversation.
If I say foul then in my judgement it is foul.
End of discussion.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 12:32pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
And the citation is always about the impossibility of unringing a bell.
This is certainly the case in NCAA play, where there is written guidance. But is there written guidance in the other sanctioning bodies?

I'm not suggesting that we change the call here on this play. But in the case where an umpire rules foul but everyone plays it as if it was fair (in other words, the umpire's call did not adversely affect the play), is that correctable in other organizations outside of NCAA? Just curious.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
This is certainly the case in NCAA play, where there is written guidance. But is there written guidance in the other sanctioning bodies?

I'm not suggesting that we change the call here on this play. But in the case where an umpire rules foul but everyone plays it as if it was fair (in other words, the umpire's call did not adversely affect the play), is that correctable in other organizations outside of NCAA? Just curious.
I have had that happen -- I do not umpire NCAA-- and I just let nature take it's course.
Play on.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT 73 View Post
I have had that happen -- I do not umpire NCAA-- and I just let nature take it's course.
Play on.
I have done that as well. As the mouth starts to say "foul" I realize it's not. Muffle the audible as best I can. Keep the arms down best I can. And move on hoping no one noticed.....
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=robbie;1005298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Once the ball is called foul, that bell should not be unrung.....

Pitch comes in, batter hits a ground ball to F5 playing in front of third base, ball rolls under F5's glove and goes foul prior to passing third base. PU rules foul ball. Offensive coach comes to PU and states that F5 touched the ball in fair territory and asks PU to check with his partners. PU gets crew together and U3 tells PU that the ball was touched in fair territory by F5. PU changes call to fair ball and placed the BR on first base. Defensive coach wants to protest, I am summoned to the field, get the story from the crew and talk to the defensive coach. I do not allow the protest since it was a reversal of a judgement call which is not subject to protest. Post game with crew was that PU should have told Offensive coach that he saw all he needed to and that the foul ball call stands.[/QUOTE]

Wrong - Wrong - and More Wrong......
Why?
Old Wed May 03, 2017, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Sorry, coach, but the judgment made at that moment cannot be protested; and the call stands.

Fixed that issue.
But as offered in the conversation, it was not a judgment call as the umpire admits the batted ball qualified as a fair ball.

Yes, maybe it was a brain fart, but I believe it to be a misinterpretation and that is protestable