The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
First Game...

...on Thursday! Just finished cleaning my uniform shirts and pants, and tomorrow I prep my shoes. Heard about a little trick I'm going to try - after cleaning and polishing them, I'll coat them rubbing a layer of Vaseline on them - heard it protects them against mud/rain, etc. Anyone do this?

Only really new thing I bought was a Nutty Buddy - boys are going to be protected this year! Any NB war stories??
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me vaseline would just collect dirt in every nook and cranny on the shoes and be next to impossible to get out. Maybe dust isnt a problem in your area, but around here the dust would just stick to them the second you walked onto a field.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Are they leather shoes? Petroleum jelly can work as a leather conditioner. But don't just glob it on. Dab a tiny amount on a rag, then rub it into a small section at a time, similar to applying wax on a car. Let it sit for awhile, then wipe off any excess and buff it out with a towel.

By the way...if you've ever bought a tube of Nokona Leather Treatment glove conditioner...you've bought a tube of petroleum jelly!
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post

Only really new thing I bought was a Nutty Buddy - boys are going to be protected this year! Any NB war stories??
Not a NB owner, but I did post a product recommendation earlier this year. Stainless steel kept my bits intact.