The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 11, 2016, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Mask Style

I was reading the baseball discussion about the style of umpire mask people use. I am debating getting new equipment next year (my stuff is getting old and worn out), but due to a work schedule change may not be umpiring much either.

What style mask do you guys recommend, and traditional style of a hockey style mask. I have seen umpires wearing both, so I am not sure what really is the best. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2016, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

I used an All Star hockey style helmet for a couple of weeks while working rec league games several years ago, but have not used one since. I prefer a traditional mask, especially since my state high school association (IL) requires umpires who use the hockey style helmet to carry a hat in their ball bag or back pocket for use when conversing with coaches and between innings.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 07:20am
High Five Master

I've always done traditional. Now, I have the Allstar lightweight. It's only about $60, compared to about $200 for the ultralight titaniums, and only weighs like 1.5oz more. It does, however, have a bit of rust beginning to show up. I don't think the titanium ones would have that issue.

I tried a bucket one time and I felt it very hot and cumbersome. It does have the advantage of protecting your whole head though, which is a big deal when/if you were to need that protection
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

regular light-weight mask, personal preference.

wouldn't use a HSM on a bet. Don't care for it and have had a friend seriously injured (whiplash) wearing one due to the lack of give when hit in the face with a fast ball (baseball) the catcher missed.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2016, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Started out with a HSM. I took a shot to the forehead/upper area of the cage that didn't deflect. Not only did it snap my head back but it rang like a bell in my ears. I have since switched to a conventional mask
Old Wed Jul 13, 2016, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Traditional-style mask: as light as I can get it and as loose as I can wear it without looking sloppy. Short brim hat (4 stitch), too.

Here is the rationale: I don't want the mask transferring the impact force to my skull. I have a history of concussions, and so I am more likely to get additional ones at lower impact forces than those who have never had one. When I get hit in the face hard, I want the mask to pop off, carrying much of the energy with it, rather than transmitting it through the brim of my hat to my skull. I got knocked out of temporarily injured in a college game this year when I ate an inside rise ball. I was able to finish the game on the bases, but it was close to a concussion. Had I worn a bucket, I would have likely needed medical attention. The mask ended up 8 feet from the plate. That's a lot of kinetic energy that I was not on the receiving end of.

That's not possible with a HSM, so you're dependent on the damping ability of whatever cushioning or springs are attached to the face guard. This concept is used in racing cars, too. When they wreck, parts start coming off, taking energy with them.

Last edited by teebob21; Wed Jul 13, 2016 at 03:55pm. Reason: Knocked out is the wrong phrase to use for this
Old Wed Jul 13, 2016, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Traditional-style mask: as light as I can get it and as loose as I can wear it without looking sloppy. Short brim hat (4 stitch), too.

Here is the rationale: I don't want the mask transferring the impact force to my skull. I have a history of concussions, and so I am more likely to get additional ones at lower impact forces than those who have never had one. When I get hit in the face hard, I want the mask to pop off, carrying much of the energy with it, rather than transmitting it through the brim of my hat to my skull. I got knocked out of temporarily injured in a college game this year when I ate an inside rise ball. I was able to finish the game on the bases, but it was close to a concussion. Had I worn a bucket, I would have likely needed medical attention. The mask ended up 8 feet from the plate. That's a lot of kinetic energy that I was not on the receiving end of.

That's not possible with a HSM, so you're dependent on the damping ability of whatever cushioning or springs are attached to the face guard. This concept is used in racing cars, too. When they wreck, parts start coming off, taking energy with them.
^^^ This. The HSM is meant to be worn snugly.

When I see an umpire or catcher with the mask pushed to the side by impact of the ball and people laugh, I have to explain that is exactly what is supposed to happen.