The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 21, 2016, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

INT on foul bunt popup (NFHS)

High school game. 2 outs, 2-2 count. R1 on 3B. In a squeeze play, BR bunts the ball as a foul pop up. R1 and F5 collide near the base line, and F5 is barely unable to make the catch. The play is initially ruled a foul ball, batter out. Third out of the inning.

After a short discussion between my partner (PU) and I (BU) we ruled that R1 was out, instead. (Fed 8-6-10b, INT by runner) He lost the ball in the setting sun and did not see the contact between F5 and R1. By rule, we should have killed the play as soon as the INT happened, but I did not know he did not see it until everything was over.

Here is my question: If this same play happens with less than 2 outs, are both R1 and the BR out?
EDIT: Additional reading of the book answered my own question. Yes, the BR is also out.

Last edited by teebob21; Thu Apr 21, 2016 at 05:13pm.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

You are correct in that the batter is also out with less than two outs, but only because it was a foul ball on a bunt attempt with two strikes.

NFHS does not provide for both the batter and the interfering runner to be out on a fair or foul fly ball that could be easily caught. That is an ASA rule only.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You are correct in that the batter is also out with less than two outs, but only because it was a foul ball on a bunt attempt with two strikes.

NFHS does not provide for both the batter and the interfering runner to be out on a fair or foul fly ball that could be easily caught. That is an ASA rule only.
NCAA provides for runner and batter out on a fair ball, but not while the ball is over foul territory. 12-19-2 effect exception 2.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Thanks, Andy. I was looking at an older rule book and noticed the same thing. Didn't know if there had been a change